Family Network? PLEASE HELP

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Science & Tech
Well about 2 weeks ago i baught a lynksys wireless router, it is hooked up with wires to my desktop computer, but creating a wireless access point for other network devices. well my dad just baught a lap top....... its pretty nice... and i tried setting up a network so i could share files between the two computers. by going to control center and Wireless network setup. i followed all the instructions and used my psp as a flash drive to install the wireless network on the lap top that way. Everything was working fine and the lap top had internet, but it wouldnt connect to any sites. I tried everything, and i suddenly lost connection to both computers and finally got connection on this (my desktop computer). My dads getting mad at me because before i tried to do all this the internet worked on the lap top and now i messed it up :bawling: :confused: .

Can someone please help me and tell me how i can set up a wireless network between the 2 computers???

also
(the lap top is centrino, so i dont need a card). and the desktop computer is hooked up by wires to the wirless router. thanks alot in advance

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    First, get both computers back so they can get on the Internet properly. That will ensure that everything is good between the computers and your router.

Then make sure that each computer has a unique name and that File & Print Sharing is turned on. Make both computers members of the same Workgroup.

Once you've done that make sure you have shared at least one folder on each computer and see what kind of luck you have by going through Windows Explorer and browsing to your workgroup. (See picture; my Workgroup is named "1491")
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    ok thanks profdlp , I got both the Desktop pc and the lap top connected to the internet again.......... took me long enough. i had to re-run the linksys set-up disc and all that.

Where do i go to change the names and to turn on file and printer sharing???????????
    i turned it on earlier, but i think i turned it off....... yet i have no clue where i found it.

and how do i make both computers part of the same workgroup.????
    edited April 2006
    ...Where do i go to change the names and to turn on file and printer sharing?...
    If the names are already different there is no need to change them. If for some reason they are the same (or you just want to change them for whatever reason), see the attached picture.

For File & Print Sharing, the easiest way is to right-click a folder or printer you want to share, then left-click on Sharing and Security. Skip the Wizard and just enable simple File & Print Sharing; it's your call if you want to let other users change your files.
    ...how do i make both computers part of the same workgroup?
    See the picture. :)
    edited April 2006
    Ok thanks alot..................

If the hardrives on both the lap top and the desktop pc are both c:/ and i share the drive or folders within it, will that cause complications or something?
    edited April 2006
    Not at all. Both computers will see them as having totally different paths, beginning with the Computer Name. (That's one reason you need to make sure that they both have different names.)

example:

On my network I have shared folders named

\\Doctorb\Downloads

and

\\Georgew\Downloads

Since they're on two totally different computers each machine sees them as being distinct and separate folders.
    edited April 2006
    alright, thanks alot............ i think ill get it now.

one more thing, my linksys router came with a set-up cd.......... but nowhere on there could i make a password for my network.......... so there is no WEP key. Im kinda scared to have my hardrive on sharing mode, if other people can possibly connect to it..............

is there an easy way to set up a WEP key?

or should i not worry about that?
    edited April 2006
    Most Linksys routers have a default password of admin

If that gets you in, be sure and change it right away - it's well-known around the hacking world.
    edited April 2006
    thats the thing.......... i dont have to put in a password now, it just connects...... and i dont know how to make the password work and where to change it :confused:
  • dawinnerdawinner Osgood, OH
    edited April 2006
    You can access your routers confige by opening IE or whatever you use. The default IP address should be 192.168.1.1 You will be able to change your settings there. Like Prof said the default is admin/admin.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    No, for Linksys routers, there's no user name. The password is just "admin."
    edited April 2006
    My bad. I thought there was.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    If that gets you in, be sure and change it right away
    And then WRITE IT DOWN, write "SAVE THIS" on the piece of paper and don't lose it! ;D
    edited April 2006
    Yeah definatly save it. I have had to reset mine a couple of times. Wow thats embarrising.
    edited April 2006
    alright i got it now, thanks everyone:D :rockon::thumbsup:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    We might want to tell him how to password his wireless setup :)
    edited April 2006
    o i did lol, i made sure i was gonna do that before sharing my hard-drive lol;) :D
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I wouldn't share my hard drive. When your father takes his laptop off your network, his hard drive will still be shared. This is a bad thing, worse if it's a business laptop. Share a folder like Shared Documents instead.

-drasnor :fold: