Problem with my computer.....Help!

edited April 2006 in Hardware
You see i bought these two new video games: Far Cry and Call of duty 2, and well a few days after i installed it, the computer just shut down when ever i played that or any other game in my computer, (the only other game i have in my computer besides the cod2 and fc is impossible creatures demo) and it is very fustrating, cause you play and play and get very far and suddunley the computer shuts down without any kinda warning and i have to switch it on again.

well i aint a computer wiz or anything, i dont know much. well i was hoping that anybody out there could help me.

Thanks a lot.

Panduka

Comments

• edited April 2006
    what kind of computer do you own? i noticed in ur previous posts it is a laptop... what processor? how much RAM? what video card? you will need to say those specs on every post it will help a lot ;)
  • edited April 2006
    well.....

my laptop has two processors: two intel pentium 4 cpu 3.00GHZ

it has 512 MB of ram and the video card is ATI mobilty radeon 9700 series.

need anymore info justask.....thanks for the tip,

hope you have a soultion.

Panduka
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Ok, you are running a dual core processor - one processor with two cores. Microsoft identifies it as two processors. No worry, not that big of a difference. Your computer is probably overheating. Although they will play games, laptops are not really designed for high intensity use. No matter how well made they are, there have to be many compromises designed in to cram all that hardware into a small package. As your computer is a dual core model, I assuming it's not very old, so cleaning it (dust and lint cause heat to stay localized and not dissipate) probably isn't necessary. But nonetheless, here are steps, if not already performed, that can help cool your computer:

-- prop it up off the surface it's on so there is at least 1/2" airspace between the laptop and the resting surface
    -- with canned air, blow into the air exhaust port and the air intake port(s)
    -- suggest lowering the screen resolution for the games that cause the machine to crash

Don't feel you've purchased a 'bad' machine. Overheating is common with laptops. They are really designed for office applications and communications. Wish I had a fix-all solution for you. Sorry.

Maybe someone who games a lot with laptops has better answers than I provided.

Welcome to Short-Media.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Hi Panduka,

Welcome to Short-Media. I think that Leonardo is on the right track with the overheating. If the laptop is a 'DTR' (desktop replacement) they can get incredably hot, especially when playing demanding games like the ones you mentioned. If you can keep it cooler, I'd be curious to see if the issue still persisits. If not, you could consider picking up one of those 'laptop cooler' devices. They are essentially just a tray that helps to conduct heat away from the laptop.

Any new news?
  • edited April 2006
    HERE is one of those laptop coolers. My sister has one similar to it and they work like a charm.

bikerboy
  • edited April 2006
    Leonardo, bikerboy, lemonlime, bugmenot:

Thanks for all your help, what you said about the 'laptops not the best for gaming' is 100000000% true, really, well, iam planing on buying a desktop, a freind of mine said he could get me a new computer, mainly just for gaming, with much better hardware than what i have right now, so i now i can remain calm, its just only for a few weeks, that i have to hold on to this piece of sh*t, well, thanks for all you tips and help, i really apprecieate it, thanks

Panduka