need help picking a motherboard...LGA775 style!

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
looking for a LGA 775 Motherboard that supports dual core 805 cpu, overclocking and uses DDR ram, not DDR2!

any suggestions/help would be much appreciated!

oh...also mobo<$100

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    ok then...guess i could be the guinea pig or get something different...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    If you have DDR2, you can use that in a future build beyond the system you are contemplating now. Face it, DDR is on the way out. If your budget is $100 and no more, than I understand your approach. I think there's only one or two 775 boards on the market (or that were on the market) that don't use DDR2. I'll see if I can find them.
    edited April 2006
    Gigabyte 8I848P775-G

Here

Here
    Foxconn 915P7AC-8EKRS

Here

EDIT: Fatcat, please read the specifications for those boards closely. I don't recall if those chipsets support dual core. And even if they do, I doubt they are decent overclockers. I don't think you will find a Socket 775 board that supports dual core, DDR(1), and overclocks well. Sorry, but I never took an interest in Socket 775 until the D820 CPUs flooded the market and became very inexpensive.

DDR2, overclocking, dual core -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131565

EDIT AGAIN: Take a look at Newegg's refurbished section. Also take a look at their DDR2 offerings. You might be surprised at how economical a refurb mobo/value DDR2 combo might be. If you are primarily looking for CPU overclcocking and not DRAM, you don't need high performance DDR2 anyway. Just lock in an FSB/DRAM ratio to keep the RAM close to stock.
  • dawinnerdawinner Osgood, OH
    edited April 2006
    I was looking for boards that use the LGA 775 socket. Its a pain trying to find a good board. And yes your almost stuck using DDR2 if your looking for a 775 socket. Good luck!
    edited April 2006
    I was looking for boards that use the LGA 775 socket. Its a pain trying to find a good board.
    What do you mean by "good board?" Every motherboard manufacturer is making Socket 775 motherboards. Quality ranges from cheap OEM to high quality tweaker boards. Socket 939 and 775 are probably the most common retail boards available.
  • dawinnerdawinner Osgood, OH
    edited April 2006
    It just seemed to me that it was a lot easier to choose a AMD board then an Intel. Of course i was limiting my search to just newegg. With the AMD choices there were a lot more to choose from.
    edited April 2006
    There are several chipsets for 775: I848, I915, I945, I955, 975, Nforce 4, Radeon Xpress 200/ULI M1573....

The best performing chipsets are the Intel 945, 955, and 975. The 955 chipsets are merely hand-picked 945s.

The main differences in the different supporting chipsets is the CPUs they will support. The older versions don't support dual core.