Maxtor 200gig seen as 128gig by winXP

edited April 2006 in Hardware
I just put together a new machine. asusa8nsli,athlon643200,maxtor diamond10 200gig,radeon800gt, running windows xp.

How I got it up was I booted from a win98 boot floppy and I fdisked a 60gig partition and formatted it /s.

Then I put the XP boot disk in the drive and booted from it and installed XP.

I've been told the win98 strategy was a waste of time and I could have started with a totally blank hard drive and just the boot disk. I don't know. But anyway, that's the way I went.

Now I feel like using the rest of the disk and expected to find 140gig in there. But winXP disk manager shows only 80gig and tells me there's only 128gig online!

What's going on?

Does this means i'm going to have to re do everything?

regards,

ab :)

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2006
    You formated it as a fat32 it needs to be ntfs to make paritions bigger then 128GB.

To make it ntfs do the following
    -Make sure that you dont have anything on it
    -Delete the partition in diskmanager (right click on my computer and manage)
    -Create a new ntfs partition
    -Make sure to check off quickformat or you will be wiating a long time.
  • edited April 2006
    Thanks for the reply but that's not what's going on, really.

I'm saying I partitioned only a part of the disk. 60gig.

There should be 140gig left.

Yes, I formatted that 60 gig FAT32.

But I didn't do anything with the 140.

Then I installed WinXP from a boot CD and it did whatever it wanted to do.

And now it says I've got 40gig FAT32 and 80gig unformatted for a total of 128gig 'online' - and it shows nothing else!

That's what's going on. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    What Service Pack with WinXP have you installed? If I'm correct, WinXP SP1 enables recognition of drives larger than 128GB! Get your Service Packs installed.