Hyper Threading and Folding

edited April 2006 in Folding@Home
Whats the best way to fold on a P4 with HT? I found one at work the other day and now have a new machine.

Do I treat it as a single CPU or run 2 fahcores?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    If HT is enabled, you want to run two fahcores.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Just set each one to a different machine ID (console versions).
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    yup make 2 folders and drop the program in each....run the installer/ program out of each folder and just say yes to adv mthods and make sure one is name Mach ID 1 and the other 2
  • edited April 2006
    Thanks Esso, thought I'd heard something like that in the past. Points are good but I'd rather make sure the work units I'm sending are of some use instead.
    edited April 2006
    Interesting, I never knew that the project generations had such short turnarounds.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I don't think slowing down the turnaround time for two units versus a fast turnaround for one unit is an argument of any substantive value. If you follow that logic, then only the fastest Athlons, Opterons, Xeons, and P4s should be folding, because the XPs and PIIIs would be slowing down turnaround, preventing earlier releases of new series. If I didn't understand the argument, someone please enlighten me.

Definitely fold with two F@H instances if you are running dual core processors or have hyperthreading engaged. When I had hyperthreaded P4s folding, the production was 25-30% higher than running only one F@H client.
    edited April 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    If you follow that logic, then only the fastest Athlons, Opterons, Xeons, and P4s should be folding, because the XPs and PIIIs would be slowing down turnaround, preventing earlier releases of new series.
    Good point :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2006
    With a dual core processor then yes, run 2 instances. If you want maximum points then run 2 instances on your HT setup too.

I'm gonna leave it as is for the time being, if stanford change their views then I'll change mine.
    I don't think slowing down the turnaround time for two units versus a fast turnaround for one unit is an argument of any substantive value. If you follow that logic, then only the fastest Athlons, Opterons, Xeons, and P4s should be folding, because the XPs and PIIIs would be slowing down turnaround, preventing earlier releases of new series. If I didn't understand the argument, someone please enlighten me.

Like the article said, any contribution is welcome...
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Yeah, that's pretty much my view on folding these days. It's great when I can add another machine, but I don't worry too much about tweaking it to get the absolute max # of points.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2006
    Good point Leonardo, what's another hour gonna make .....
    HT improves the number of executed WU's per time frame.

They have created the point system in the way so that some "most of us" start configuring our PC's to fold the most top rewarded WU's.

My Dell 8250 (P4 2.66 GHz, 1024 MB RDRAM) running the QMD core were able to do 330 ppd. (~32 Hours for 450 Points)

My Opteron 165@1.8 GHz is able to score ~ 300 ppd using both cores.

So I do believe they should give out the WU's that executes fastest per machine.

Using one AMD friendly compiler for the AMD PC's will contribute more to the cause.

Note.
    I read something about the CPU temperature and HT folding.
    The user should configure them differently so that the CPU will not overheat.
    Running two FPU intensive WU's is not perhaps the best to do ??

GROMACS power & temperature
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2006
    Most likely if you have an P4 HT you will be able to complete 2 WUs before someone else will be able to do their 1. Run 2 WUs at once.