"Prescot" 3.2 GH.Need a little advice

PumalitePumalite Santiago-Centro
edited May 2006 in Hardware
I have an Asus P4S800 with an old Pentium 4 from 1985. I'm planing to update to an Intel prescot 3.2, but I've heard they run too hot. ( Myu Asus has a 478 socket). Is there a better choice? I'm also planning to up grage memoryu to 2 GB; what's the best choice Kingston or other? I'm a newbie not a big gamer; just need some Hyperthreading Technology. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• macdude425macdude425 Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
    edited April 2006
    The Prescotts do run kind of hot, but if you buy it retail, it will come with a new heatsink fan, and you should be OK.

As for RAM, do you plan to overclock?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Not sure which pentium 4 models were available in 1985, but I think it was the 8088 from Intel at that time :D

The prescott chips are my least favorite of today's models. Mainly due to huge power consumption and high heat output. If your mainboard supports it, that would probably be the most cost-effective upgrade route. I wouldn't spend too much on a new CPU right now though, because Intel's new Conroe dual core chips are just around the corner, and are leaps and bounds better than the prescott 'netburst' architecture. My suggestion would be to wait for a bit :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    The Prescott 3.2/478 will run just fine with the Intel retail heatsink that comes in the kit. The run hot, yes, but will tolerate high heat. If you plan to overclock though, that might be difficult with the stock cooler.

Have you considered looking for a Socket 478 P4C Northwood on Ebay? You can find 2.8GHz - 3.2Ghz models for good prices, especially the 2.8s. Most 2.8 Northwoods will clock just as high as a 3.2.

Look, there's nothing wrong with a Prescott if you don't mind the space heater effect. And I should know what I'm talking about. I've got three D820s overclocked in one room. (The D820 is a Smithfield core, which is essentially two Prescotts glued together.)
  • PumalitePumalite Santiago-Centro
    edited April 2006
    Thank you for the advice guys. I'm not in the good old USA, so the Core Duo dont get here until 2008, otherwise I'd go with them. But i appreciate your opinions about the prescot running hot but ok. I'm not overclocking. EBay is another story. Goods are undeliverable here. Thanks again.
    edited May 2006
    Pumalite wrote:
    Thank you for the advice guys. I'm not in the good old USA, so the Core Duo dont get here until 2008, otherwise I'd go with them. But i appreciate your opinions about the prescot running hot but ok. I'm not overclocking. EBay is another story. Goods are undeliverable here. Thanks again.
    I took the Jump and installed the "Prescott" 3.2 with 2 GB memory. I have a Radeon 9200 with 128 Mb. After 1 hour at UT2004, temp CPU:54; Mobo stayed at 40 Celcius. The thing is a beast.http://www.short-media.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
    :)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Interesting choice for a graphics card there. You've build a rather high end system, but put a very low end graphics card in there. Any particular reason?
    edited May 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Interesting choice for a graphics card there. You've build a rather high end system, but put a very low end graphics card in there. Any particular reason?
    At the time, (3 Years ago), that's all I could do, (Lack of money and the most minimal knowledge) Thinking os upgrading to a 256 MB, But in Chile, they cost a fortune and there is not much where to chose. Any reasonable advice?