New parts. No go.

edited April 2006 in Hardware
This is an emergency situation for me. I've been upgrading my computer, practically part-by-part, in an attempt to modernize it somewhat after leaving it otherwise alone for three years.

The computer is now made up of:

ATX SG-80 Motherboard
ATI Radeon 9550 AGP Video Card
1 256 MB DDRam stick
1 512 MB DDRam stick
Intel Celeron D 3.2 GHz Processor
Masscool CPU Cooler
OCZ Ultra 5+ Silver Thermal Compound
585W Power Supply
New 16x DVD/48x CD reader

Along with these parts from the old build:
48x CD-RW drive
70 gig harddrive
400 gig harddrive
PCI Networking card

The 70 gig is the master drive, where Windows XP Home SP2 boots from.

I've hooked everything up like instructions say, and I've taken care to keep myself grounded at all times. But now with everything hooked in, I hit a problem.

When I hit the power button on the computer, it starts up, but not entirely.

The case fan starts, the CPU fan starts, the light on the ethernet port comes on, and the CD/DVD cases start. The harddrives seem to come on. But the monitor doesn't seem to start at all. It stays blanks, using both the on-board extension and the video card connector. I still use a ball-roller mouse, so I can't tell if it starts. And the keyboard does not start up.

I've tried everything I can find to problems that seem similar. I've unhooked all but the bare essentials, but even that doesn't seem to work. The motherboard doesn't even make any beeps whatsoever when it starts.

I've been trying to figure it out, but I'm at my wits end. This is the first time I've really bothered putting anything together. But I did my best to research it and do things right. If anyone can offer any help whatsoever, it will be extremely appreciated.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I have you reset the BIOS? Sometimes switching around hardware can really mess up the BIOS. I've had board before that even just disconnecting then reconnecting and IDE cable would be cause for a BIOS reset. Also pull out the video card and reseat it, if you haven't already done so. While the card is out, clean the card's contacts with a pencil eraser, denatured alcohol, or even a clean, lint-free cloth.
  • edited April 2006
    Tried, but I'm not entirely sure I did it right. That's where you move that 2-pin CMOS jumper from one side of the three pins to the other, right? And I had the Power Supply switch off, but do I need to unhook the 20- and 4- pin connectors? My boards manual isn't quite so clear/newbie-friendly on it.
    edited April 2006
    No, it appears you reset the CMOS jumper correctly. Turn power off, move jumper for 20 to 30 seconds, and move back. What that should have done was cleared most of the settings in the BIOS. When you restart the computer afterward, hold down the "delete" key, enter the BIOS, and set what needs to be set. Are you familiar with BIOS settings for your motherboard?
  • edited April 2006
    Even if it worked, the monitor isn't even displaying with the onboard connection, and the keyboard still isn't coming on. I'm thinking of calling a professional to look at it, but I don't usually trust 'em. Most of them around here are complete rips. But if I can't figure it out by tomorrow I may have to...
    edited April 2006
    Do you have a friend who would let you try the video card in his system. We need to start ruling out components.
  • edited April 2006
    The video card itself doesn't seem to be the problem. I just tried starting again without it, using the connector already attached to the motherboard. Still no display. I've also decided it's either neither stick of RAM, or both of them. I have to go for a bit, I'll try working with it more later.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    Just checking, but is the little 4-pin power connectore on the motherboard plugged in?

Try unplugging all of the drives, both hard drive and cdrom. Do both the power and the IDE and/or SATA cables. Use just the onboard video for now and just one stick of RAM.

Reset the BIOS again and make sure you remove the battery from the motherboard as well as unplugging the machine from the wall. Move the jumper over and leave it there for at least half an hour.

Move the jumper back, reinsert the battery, plug her in and cross your fingers. If that gets you a picture on the screen you can start adding the drive in one at a time. Then try the video card and the extra stick of RAM.

Good luck. :)