My new Rig - overclocking potential?

KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Hi All

Been reading the overclockers guide and wanting to test some of it out. Not had a new system in ages - my current system is an XP 2.6 with Radeon 9800 - also been reading Prime's updates with his new system.
Below is what I have ordered, hopefully this will be ok and faster!
Any comments or whatever are very welcome!

Antec P180 SPCR Advanced Super Midi Tower Case - No PSU (Black)
Seasonic S12 600W Silent ATX2.0 Power Supply
DFI LanParty UT CFX3200-DR RD580 Crossfire (Socket 939)
AMD Opteron UP 170 Dual Core San Diego 2.0GHz 2MB Cache
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC4000 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series EL-DDR CAS3
2 x Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache
HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB
Zalman VF900-CU Quiet Dual Heatpipe VGA Cooler
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme
Asus DRW-1608P2 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
Plextor PX-130A DVD-ROM (Black)

Thanks

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2006
    <b>Avoid Samsung harddrives</b>. Get Western Digital or Seagate insted.
  • KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
    edited April 2006
    Really?

I picked the samsung's as they are very quiet drives and have general excellent reviews
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    I really like samsungs hard drives. I've never had any problems with them. Well I've only had 2, but never had any problems. I originally bought a 120 gig for my computer, and since it preformed very well I bought one for my xbox. Havent had a problem with either of them. And yea, krazeyivan they are pretty quiet. Maybe people have had bad experiences with them, but idk. Grayfox, what dont you like about them
    edited April 2006
    My only slight "leap of faith" is with the new motherboard.

I am planning on setting it up at stock speeds and testing the hell out of it for stability then moving on to overclocking. (this will be my first real attempted at a overclocking anything, apart from some 486's ages ago) :smiles:

Hopefully I will have a stable rig to play with!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    When you are testing stability prior to overclocking - always smart, you can start studying overclocking right here.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Let me know how that motherboard goes I'm thinking of upgrading to it.
    edited April 2006
    Sure will do!

I had a quick look over at DFI street at one of the threads and - it does not look too bad. But it is new, so we will see! :smiles:

The only thing I am keeping my eye on is the ULI M1575 Southbridge....

A review I read of the ASUS A8R32 - MVP Deluxe (same southbridge I think) mentioned that the mobo ran the HDD's in "Emulated PATA mode" and when they tried to switch to "ACHI" it caused a corrupt windows.

I have printed that guide out, as its a fantastic read.
    Great looking over other threads here! Will post what my opteron says when it arrives so you experts can tell me I hopefully have a good one!

Thanks
    edited April 2006
    CSimon...

Early reports on that DFI motherboard suggest that setting it up with the default BIOS is a nightmare, (Blue Screens, locks, everything) still do not have mine yet so we will see.
    Everyone is flocking to OCZ Tony's BIOS - but the link for this is down. So I think I am in for a rough ride.
    The product will be good but wait a bit, sadly I am going to find out the hard way, I see a week of stormy seas!

BUT I will start another thread about this board and my build experience to help others if they get it, also eventually my overclocking saga :wink: