Need advice on video card

edited April 2006 in Hardware
I need a new video card. Since I am a heavy gamer, I was wondering what card worked the best. I am a pretty clueless person when it comes to computers so...help me out here.
Maybe I can learn more:confused2

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Before we can recommend a video card, we need to know the specifications of your computer, please. As best you can:

manufacturer
    model
    central processing unit (CPU)
    memory - speed and quantity
    power supply unit (tell us what it says on the label)

operating system to include service packs installe

This will make a big difference in what we recommend. The latest, fastest video cards draw a lot of power and are not suitable for some computers. We wouldn't want to recommend a card that's incompatible with your system.
    edited April 2006
    If you have difficulty determining what components make up your computer, download Belarc Advisor and copy and paste here what it shows.
    Maybe I can learn more
    If you want to learn, can listen well, and have a good attitude, this is definitely the place to be. Look at my signature. I built all those systems (and many more). I NEVER have to call tech support of any kind for my computers. I am not brilliant or gifted with electronics. I learned most of what I know here and at the site that preceded Short-Media. You will find a wealth of knowledge from a great community that really enjoys the technical aspects of computer hardware, software, and gaming.

Welcome to the forums! :cool:
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    Yea leo's right, definately stick around if you want to learn about computers. I've built 5 computers, taken like a million apart, and I also get some extra cash for fixing them around the neighborhood. Dont be afraid to ask questions you might think are stupid or else you'll never learn.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Also here is a great guide for gamers like you. Love to game but need mopre knowledge of PC's

Gaming System Specs Guide for the Casual Gamer
  • edited April 2006
    my computer is a Dell Dimension 8200. The cpu is a intel pentium 4 1.8 ghz. Ram is 2x 128 Rd Ram (although the motherboard has room for two more) The power supply is 300 watts.
    edited April 2006
    OK, that means you have an AGP card. Wow, you are at the minimum of both power and memory. I'm not the video card expert, so I'll let someone else advise you on that. What operating system are you running?
  • edited April 2006
    fma92x, I would advise you to just save up some money and buy a new system instead of throwing good money at that old computer. A 1.8 Pentium 4 is old and slow by today's standards and 256 MB ram is the bare minimum needed to run Windows XP half decently. And also, RDRAM isn't used on any present motherboards, so buying more ram would most probably be an expensive proposition. Another point is the 300 watt psu that came with your Dell. If you throw in a more powerful graphics card, it will draw more power than your present video card. A 300 watt psu is kind of skimpy on power for a P4 system, along with a high performance video card. So if you buy a modern AGP video card, you stand a good chance of having to buy a new psu for that machine too. I was just looking at Dell's documentation on that system and they are only showing the psu to be a 250 watt model. 250 watt or 300 watt, your system will still be underpowered for a newer graphics card.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but rather keep you from wasting your money, since your Dell has many deficiencies compared to a more modern system.:) If you want to build a new system instead of buying a prebuilt, we will gladly help you through the build. It really isn't that hard to put together a nice system for fairly cheap and you will learn loads about your system at the same time.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    I agree with Mud. Get a new system. The components you have are gonna make any new game laggy and almost unplayable. Save up about $700 and build a gaming rig with a 6800GT/GS and you should be good to go.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    agreed! new system = less issues and new hardware... a new AGP graphics card alone will cost about $100.00 - $300 for mid range to high end. Than you need ram which is out dated for the most part... it might be DDR 333.

But if you must update don't waste to much cash as the benfits will be very small on your current PC.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited April 2006
    If you do decide to get a new system, check out the hardware forums, and maybe you'll find enough help to build your own system, or pick out a decent system for a decent price... I just built my first system a few months ago, and I got all my help from here.