Beep, Beep, Bang

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I was playing Americas Army when all of a sudden the monitor shut off and then the computer starting beeping. I cant get it to post, just sit there and beep. I recently built this computer and have an idea of why this happened. The mobo says that the proc is running at 53-55C idle. I can't imagine this could be right. I have the stock heatsink with Artic Silver 5 on it. I think that the mobo is just a jack leg. I am in the process right now of jumping the bios. I will leave it over night and then in the morning see if I can boot it. I think that it shut down because it hit 70 according to the mobo and shut itself down. Can I fix this or am I pooched.

A8NE-FM OEM motherboard Socket 939 nForce 4
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
Corsair 512X2
BFG 6800 GT OC

Thanks for the help guys!
Please make it good news!

Radio91P

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I think that it shut down because it hit 70 according to the mobo and shut itself down.
    I think you are right. Please, system specs:

motherboard
    CPU RAM
    power supply unit
    video card

Is this the retail CPU heatsink that came with the processor?

Also, tell us a little about your case - intake and exhaust fans? What size fans? Is there a manufacturer and model name of the case?

Will the computer do this if the side panel is off the case?
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2006
    I have a 3200 and 3500 Venice in two PCs, they run in the 30s. I'd say 55 idle was pointing to a problem.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited April 2006
    Hey guys,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144154
    This is link to my case.
    AMD Athlon 3200+ Venice
    2 80mm fans with side, rear, and front vents

I had the side panel off the case when first building and when I first loaded the computer and went into the BIOS it was running at 57 with the side of the case off. It cooled down after it ran for a little bit.

Should any of the parts be warm or hot?
    rest of specs on first thread

Thanks guys,
    Radio91P
    edited April 2006
    Hey Guys,

I left the CMOS battery and the jumper on reset overnight and it still won't reset the board. I will leave while I am gone at work and see if that does it. When I was trying to boot it up I forgot I had taken the video card out to check everything out. I put the card back but not the power. It didn't beep at me so I got excited. Then the monitor would not come one. I then realized my folly.

Thanks for the help,
    Radio91P
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Could be PSU. You need a multimeter. Disconect the PSU, jumper it to turn it on, and then check volages. If the mobo is OK the next supsect is either mobo or CPU.
    edited April 2006
    Oh,

And by the way, the mobo was at 32c
    edited April 2006
    Hey guys,
    I am thinking that it could be the power supply. I cannot get the mobo to jump. I have tried everything. I even left it all day unplugged, battery out, and jumper on 2 and 3. I will not jump.

When I plug in the power cord and then switch the power switch on the PSU, the computer fires up. My other psu does not on main comp. Is this something bad. But why would the mobo not jump.

NEED HELP PLEASE!!!
  • edited April 2006
    I had the same problem myself for a while. Any time i did anything where the processer had to "work", it would shut down over a cpu heating issue. I even had the side panel off and had a big house fan which worked to keep it cool and could do anything. I finally blew a lot of dust out of the heatsink and the power supply vent. after that, I never had a problem and it always worked fine afterwords. Since you say it's a relativly new system it may not be the issue but you may want to give it a try. The dust in my system was not very visable and looked pretty clean but when blowing on it, somehow a LOT of dust still came out, I hope you find your problem.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    other than my inability to think and type at the same time.

Does this PSU work on another computer?
    If so, my guess is fried mobo or cpu.

Have you removed the hsf and looked at the cpu? Does the AS5 look OK?
    edited April 2006
    Hey guys,

Found out what had happened. Somehow how one of my 512 sticks of RAM killed out. I finally decided to try one at a time. One would POST and the other would not. I am going to blow out everything anyway.

Thanks guys