trying to reformat scsi hard drive, will not detect my drive

edited August 2009 in Hardware
I am trying to reformat my hard drive from Xp home and reinstall XP home, but when I boot up with the CD it wont detect my SCSI hard drive when I select ENTER in the options screen. My drive boots up perfectly when I run the computer normally. My computer came with only 1 dvd rom when I first got it but i installed a second from my old computer and it installed itself and has worked perfectly fine. could that possibly have something to do with it, and would anyone know how to get the system to detect my hard drive so I can reformat.

Also, does anyone know why I can't open any links on Internet explorer? Any link freezes and will not open.

Please help, Thank you!

Comments

• Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited April 2006
    You must first create floppy disk ( drive A: ) with your hd drivers. When booting off the cd, right when its starting it gives you some options at the bottom. Press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers and windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. Then everything else is normal.
  • edited April 2006
    Buddha16 wrote:
    You must first create floppy disk ( drive A: ) with your hd drivers. When booting off the cd, right when its starting it gives you some options at the bottom. Press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers and windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. Then everything else is normal.

thanx for your relpy.

where would i find the drivers for my drive?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    What SCSI Controller do you have? :)
  • edited April 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    What SCSI Controller do you have? :)
    I have no clue, how would I find out?
    edited April 2006
    If it's built into the motherboard, tell us the exact brand and model # of the board and we'll help you track it down.

If it's a separate card, see what's written on it.
    edited April 2006
    Sorry i meant the drivers for what’s controlling your hd....not hd drivers.:O

Prof will pull up my slack!!
  • edited April 2006
    biostar K8M800-M7A with AMD sempron 3000 w/ 64bit and onboard video and sound
  • edited April 2006
    brayf wrote:
    biostar K8M800-M7A with AMD sempron 3000 w/ 64bit and onboard video and sound
    and my hd is a WD 160 gig
  • edited April 2006
    Buddha16 wrote:
    Sorry i meant the drivers for what’s controlling your hd....not hd drivers.:O

Prof will pull up my slack!!

the drivers listed ar under windows/system32/drivres/disk and partmgr

i put those 2 fils on a floppy but it says, can not find file txtsetup.oem after pressing F6 to manually install them.
    edited April 2006
    Are you sure that its a SCSI hd, or maybe its SATA? Whats the model # of your hd?
    edited April 2006
    If its is SATA I think your driver would be HERE.

The contents of "drvdisk" is what you want to put on your floppy disk.
  • edited April 2006
    It is a Western Digital WDC WD16 00JD-00HBB0 SCSI DISK DEVICE which is listed in the device mgr.

Thanx for everyones response so far, i hope i can get thi issue resolved soon.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Yup, that's a SATA drive. You'll need the SATA drivers for your motherboard, which you should be able to find on Biostar's website.

Your hard drive model: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1026&p_created=1056554169

SATA drivers at the bottom of this page: http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/model.php3?name=K8M800-M7A
  • edited April 2006
    thanx!! I will gve that a shot!:smiles:
    edited April 2006
    Yea I believe its SATA.

Check this out.

//edit// Man, I take forever to post.
  • edited April 2006
    Yes it definatly is SATA, though listed as SCSI in device mgr, sorry. I have downloaded my mainboard drivers and the WD1600JD driver for my drive and put it on a floppy. It now recognizes my drive name in the F6 options before reformating, but now it says error reading fasttx2k.sys (18) on line 2108 xpsp\boot\setup\oemdick.c.

I can now view my raid tool and it mentions my drive at:

PHYSICAL POSTION, controller 0, channel 0, Master
    ARRAY POSITION, Not in any disk array
    DEVICE STATUS, Normal
    GENERAL CONFIG, SATA Device.

Could the controller postition have something to do with it?
    edited April 2006
    HHmmm try to redownload and see if you can use a different floppy disk.
  • edited April 2006
    Buddha16 wrote:
    HHmmm try to redownload and see if you can use a different floppy disk.

Tried that, still the same thing. the exact message i get is:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives in your computer."

"Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running any manufacturer supplied diagnostic or setup program."

But when I boot up windows normally, it works fine, but I am reformatting because of problems I have with internet explorer which I tried everything to overcome (including a reinstall from my XP cd) but still have issues and have everything backed up anyway since my pc is fairly new and didn't have much on it yet anyway.
    I also noticed that my bios seems to have no info on my hard drive but only my cd drives and floppy.
    edited April 2006
    Exactly which files and folders are you copying to the floppy disk?
  • edited April 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Exactly which files and folders are you copying to the floppy disk?

txtsetup.oem
    bb-run.sys
    Fasttx2k.cat
    fasttx2k.INF
    fasttx2k.sys
    ptipbmf.dll
    readme.txt

Most of the file names had 1 dupilcate with a different file size and tried it once overwriting when promted when transfering to floppy and tried it once without overwriting but they both didnt seem to work.

All of thes files were downloaded from the WD site for this drive and I threw them all on a floppy, and it mentioned they were compatible for win2k, win03 and XP.
    edited April 2006
    Forget about the hard drive - it doesn't require drivers at all. What you need are the drivers for your SATA Controller.
    Gargoyle wrote:

Copy the ones from this folder: viasata-4.30G\drvdisk\AMD64
    edited April 2006
    This should be the only stuff on you floppy disk.

Link

So you’re only providing drivers for the sata controller not the actual hard drives. Once the controller is installed it takes over operating the drive.
  • edited April 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Forget about the hard drive - it doesn't require drivers at all. What you need are the drivers for your SATA Controller.

Copy the ones from this folder: viasata-4.30G\drvdisk\AMD64

I have downloaded that already earlier and attempted to try it again, and installed it, but i can't find the file viasata-4.30\drvdisk\amd64 within it since it just installes the program, do you know where i can find that file, is that waht i need to put on a floppy, or is it supposed to work after i install the program, i still have the same problem if that is the issue.

the big issue i am having is i cant open any link that has been givin here that brings up a new window in internet explorer so i have to retype the whole address manually and some links dont include the whole address so I hope I am getting the proper place, is the file size 6.55MB this seems like the file you are mentioning.
    Thanx again.
    edited April 2006
  • edited April 2006
    Buddha16 wrote:
    This should be the only stuff on you floppy disk.

Link
    I am very sorry, is there any way you can post the address to the link so i can type it manually? I can't open any link if it opens a new window, for some reason it freezes, it is extremly frustrationg!! thanx!
  • edited April 2006
    Buddha16 wrote:
    Got the files and tried twice, but unfortunatly still the same problem.
    edited April 2006
    edited April 2006
    You have a Private Message. :)
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2006
    At the first text that appers during the installation of Win-XP, press key F6 a couple of times.
    Then when you are asked for installation of drivers (~2 minutes later), just install the SATA drivers from the floppy.
    Keep the floppy in the floppy driver until asked to remove it.
    edited April 2006
    So any luck???