trying to reformat scsi hard drive, will not detect my drive

2»

Comments

• edited April 2006
    Buddha16 wrote:
    So any luck???
    Not yet, problem still persists. I did notice one thing, I purchased this computer not long ago from the same person who built and sold me my prior unit, he has put a newer version than my 2002 XP disk and used my same registry code so I wouldnt get charged for XP again. I noticed this when I put the XP disk in while running windows and it says that I currently have a newer version installed than on my 2002 Xp cd, could it be possible because I am starting a boot from an older version that cant find newer drivers? If so, is there any way to continue because I did not get a new cd when I purchased this unit.

Thanx a lot for checking up!!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    Give us a detailed list of what you are doing when you try to boot from the CD.

Step-by-step with as much information as possible. Don't worry if it is a long post - the more we know the sooner we can help you spot the exact moment where things are going wrong. :wave:
  • edited April 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Give us a detailed list of what you are doing when you try to boot from the CD.

Step-by-step with as much information as possible. Don't worry if it is a long post - the more we know the sooner we can help you spot the exact moment where things are going wrong. :wave:
    A bit of a late reply since i was at work.

I turn on the computer and press any key that will start a boot from the cd instead of loading windows. The blue screen pops up and it reads "press F6 to load any third party SCSI or RAID drivers." Since I have been trying to boot drivers form a floppy I press the F6. If I don't press F6 it just runs through the loading process that shows at the bottom of the screen, after a few seconds it reads "setup is starting windows" it goes in to the recovery console options, I press ENTER as i want to reinstall windows. (the other is to press "R" to use the recovery console). When I do press enter, it immediatly brings up the message that it cant find the hard drive, I have the exact message in an earlier post you can find. I have no other choice but to press F3 to restart the computer.

When I do press F6 as earlier it will load some stuff on the bottom of the screen then it will bring up an option screen to boot the third party drivers, I have to press "S" to boot from the floppy, the other choice brings up the cant find HD message just like mentioned earlier. When pressing the "S" it will bring up a choice of drivers titled depending upon which set of drivers i have on floppy you gave me links for and one directly from the WD site. The choices are depending upon my OS which of course I choose XP drivers. After choosing i get an error message, something like "error (18) on line 2108/boot/setup/oemdisk.c. then I am plain dead from there. I have installed the motherboard drivers from Biostar in windows and they install ok but it doesnt change anything when booting from starup with the windows cd.
    Again thank you for your help, I hope this helps you.
    edited April 2006
    Thanks for that description - it really helps.

The bottom line appears to be that Windows Setup isn't happy with something about any of the drivers you have tried. The choices you have are to either keep hunting around in the hopes of finding a driver which Windows will accept, or to try and work around the error you're getting now.

I've emailed you a different set of drivers to try. :wave:

As for the workaround, after you get the error is there an option to ignore it and continue anyway?

If not, you could try opening the file txtsetup.oem in Notepad and see if editing out the offending line 18 makes a difference. This is getting into straw-grasping territory, though. :crazy:
    "error (18) on line 2108/boot/setup/oemdisk.c.
    [Disks]
    D-x64-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",\AMD64\VIAMRX64, \2003x64

[Defaults]
    scsi = VCOMBORAID_x64_NT5

[SCSI]
    VCOMBORAID_x64_NT5="VIA VT8237/6421/6410 SATA RAID Controller(SRV2003/XP-x64)"

[Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_x64_NT5]
    driver = D-x64-NT5-RAID, viamrx64.sys, CFG_NT5
    inf = D-x64-NT5-RAID, viamrx64.inf
    catalog = D-x64-NT5-RAID, viamrx64.cat

[config.CFG_NT5]
    value = parameters\PnpInterface,5,REG_DWORD,1

[HardwareIds.scsi.VCOMBORAID_x64_NT5]
    id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_0591","viamrx64"
    id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249","viamrx64"
    id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viamrx64"
    id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164","viamrx64"

• edited April 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Thanks for that description - it really helps.

The bottom line appears to be that Windows Setup isn't happy with something about any of the drivers you have tried. The choices you have are to either keep hunting around in the hopes of finding a driver which Windows will accept, or to try and work around the error you're getting now.

I've emailed you a different set of drivers to try. :wave:

As for the workaround, after you get the error is there an option to ignore it and continue anyway?

If not, you could try opening the file txtsetup.oem in Notepad and see if editing out the offending line 18 makes a difference. This is getting into straw-grasping territory, though. :crazy:

[Disks]
    D-x64-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",\AMD64\VIAMRX64, \2003x64

[Defaults]
    scsi = VCOMBORAID_x64_NT5

[SCSI]
    VCOMBORAID_x64_NT5="VIA VT8237/6421/6410 SATA RAID Controller(SRV2003/XP-x64)"

[Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_x64_NT5]
    driver = D-x64-NT5-RAID, viamrx64.sys, CFG_NT5
    inf = D-x64-NT5-RAID, viamrx64.inf
    catalog = D-x64-NT5-RAID, viamrx64.cat

[config.CFG_NT5]
    value = parameters\PnpInterface,5,REG_DWORD,1

[HardwareIds.scsi.VCOMBORAID_x64_NT5]
    id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_0591","viamrx64"
    id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249","viamrx64"
    id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viamrx64"
    id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164","viamrx64"

Hello prof, Can you email me the drivers again, i didnt get the mail apparently. Still having problems with this blasted thing!! thanx!!
    edited April 2006
    Sent. :)
  • edited December 2006
    Hi,
    I wasn't sure if i should make another thread or not since i have such a similar problem.

I'm getting exactly the same problems doing the same thing but i don't have a SATA drive. I have a Western Digital WD1200JB 120 GB, 100 MB/s, 8 MB Cache, 7200 RPM. I can't seem to find the correct drivers for this model that need to go on the floppy disk.

Thank you for any help you might be able to give :)
  • edited June 2007
    well hot damn. I too am having the same problem as topic creator. I am trying to Uninstall xp pro and install Vista home premium. If I could just format my drive then all would be fine. My hard drive model number is wdc wd800jd-60LUA0 (SATA).

This may or may not help us all. when I tried to install vista I got this message once. It said I needed a "Standard dual channel PCI IDE controller, and that it was a driver.

Here is where I am a little different. I dont have an A: floppy drive. I have millions of USB ports though and several "jump drives" I have heard that I may be able to use one of them as a boot disk but I dont know how.

May heaven help us all!!!!
  • edited June 2007
    Sorry for the double post so close together but I forgot something. If I were to simply buy another new hard drive, could I just take out the one I am trying to format and use the new one? What steps would I have to take to ensure I have all the right drivers and can get going again?

Forgive my ignorance, i just dont want to pay a tech guy $40/hr to come to my house and fiddle around.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Ok, listen up.

Hard drives themselves do not have drivers.
    The host system has the drivers. Post your motherboard model, and we the jury of peanuts will find your drivers and give them to you.
  • edited August 2009
    My Motherboard bios(BIOS ID- K8M800-8237-6A7L1B0SC-00) doesn't recognise SATA drives when installing an OS, so the manufacturer gave a floppy disk with the drivers for Win 98 to XP.. now i want the equivalent Linux drivers.. i searched in net but did not find any.. Please Help...