ASUS Motherboard

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I am looking at getting a new motherboard for my secondary rig. I have an OEM piece of crap right now. I need to get SLI. THinking of the A8N-SLI, or the ABIT K8N-SLI. Right now my motherboard runs hot. I have a Athlon 64 3200+ in it right now that is running at least 55 idle. I have two 80mm fans, one pulling and the other pushing. I can't seem to get the heat down.

MObos can create a lot of heat and make the CPU hot right.

What are your suggestions? K8N or A8N

Let me know guys!
Radio91P

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    what do you have now?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I'm just not too fond of asus, so my money would be on Abit as my AN8 SLI Fatal1ty is sooo nice, it's hard to part with it since I'll be selling it soon.. But it was part of a computer that never crashed on me no matter what I threw at it :) Even though it was OC'd.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    MObos can create a lot of heat and make the CPU hot right.
    No, not at all. For the most part, the motherboard is just that - a board that gathers all the parts together in one household and lets them play together. There are three main heat producers on in a computer system: the CPU, the video card, and northbridge. The northbridge, well, which is part of the motherboard, usually doesn't get too hot if the computer isn't overclocked. Video cards' heat output depends on the load on them and how much electrical power they draw. High end video will produce much more heat than older generation cards.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    No, not at all. For the most part, the motherboard is just that - a board that gathers all the parts together in one household and lets them play together. There are three main heat producers on in a computer system: the CPU, the video card, and northbridge. The northbridge, well, which is part of the motherboard, usually doesn't get too hot if the computer isn't overclocked. Video cards' heat output depends on the load on them and how much electrical power they draw. High end video will produce much more heat than older generation cards.

Sorry mate, but todays mainboards are actually heating up the cpu quite a lot and produces close to the same amount of heat as a modern videocard such as a x1800/7800 gt/7900 gt.

Run a rig for a week of constant load and you can measure at least 3 or 4 spots on a mainboard that exceeds 75c. Very often, those spots are well hidden and it's very hard to have any sort of airflow over it as well. All this heat rises to the cpu area which normally are located in the top of a case.

As for the Asus A8N-SLI, unless it's the Premium, it have a very annoying chipset fan that could make anybody puke but the chipset is still warm as hell after a long period of time. If you get 55C Idle on a non-clocked cpu that's normally runs pretty cool, even with the OEM cooler, obviously, something is awfully wrong.

Now, it can be the sensor reporting the true core temperatures, but i doubt that's the case on a OEM board since such sensors are quite expensive to include in comparison to larger area sensors.

Before i make any suggestions on what hardware you should get, lets locate if you really have that sort of heat to deal with and the cheapest way is to measure the in-case temperatures as good as you can. Got any of those cheap inside/outside digital temperature reader that comes with a couple of cords for the sensor?

Have one cord routed into the case so that it hangs in the middle of the case, reporting a somewhat true ambient temperature. Leave it for 24 hours and try to determine an average temperature based on your normal pc usage.

If your cpu temperatures where true, you should have an idle case temperature at around 45c and if you do, you should look into getting a better ventilated case to start with.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2006
    I have an Asus A8n Premium with a 3500+ that runs at 41 degrees. That is in a Thermaltake kandalf case which is very quiet.
    edited April 2006
    Sorry mate, but todays mainboards are actually heating up the cpu quite a lot
    Well OK, the mosfets, northbridge, and southbridge get quite warm. So, what is heating the CPU? The socket underneath it?
    edited April 2006
    Basically all parts that is beneith the cpu in a case heats up the area where the hs/fan is. In a normal case , usually one or 2 chipsets (2 on the recent boards, one of them not really a chipset, but you know what i mean), some mosfets, 10 or so capacitors.

This is why with the BTX-styled cases, where our mainboards is upside-down, the cpu tends to run a bit cooler and the videocards a bit warmer. I would estimate that a mainboard produce as much heat as a cpu or a top of the line videocard.

One area that many forget about is at the back of the cpu area on the mainboard. It gets so warm it's impossible to keep a finger there for more than 2 seconds. Cooling that area would be somewhat hard, but doable through the other side of the case with a mod. There's absolutely no airflow at all at the back of the mainboard.
    edited April 2006
    Thanks for the technical information session. It all makes sense. I didn't realize other components besides the main chips and mosfets released heat. Cooling is continually become more complex.
    edited April 2006
    I very much agree Leo. It's getting a lot more complex and new ideas needs to be tested.

Abit came up with their OTES cooling technology which unfortunatly got flamed quite a lot. It's a shame really cause it is/was a great idea to tunnel the mosfets warm air out at the back of the mainboard. It does eats up space on a mainboard and we demand more and more features (and to be honest, most doesn't even use half of them) that eats up both space and produces heat.

We all remember the good old days with our beloved XP1200-1400-1600 and our old Abit boards that didn't even had a soundchip onboard. Those boards didn't even get half as hot as todays boards.

I'd say the manufacturer that could start produce boards with as few features as possible and that also could knock away $50 on the price, have a winner. 2 memory slots, 2 sataports, 2 usb ports, one lan and a firewire is what most people needs. Ditch the legacy totally i'd say. IDE, PS-2, floppy and serial/printerports is in the past.
  • edited April 2006
    As far as cooling the back side of the mobo, I've heard of people cutting a hole in the back of the motherboard tray and mounting a thin fan back there just to get a little airflow on the back side of the mobo. I don't know how much good that would do, but if you could locate an 80 X 10mm or 80 X 15mm fan I think that would be possible to do. I've never actually seen this done though.
    edited April 2006
    Asus has implemented a passive motherboard cooling system on their high end boards. All of my P5WD2s have it. Forget what it's called.

The motherboard in system 1 has ventilation holes in the motherboard tray. A step of ahead of it's time, as the case was made in 2001 (pic of stainless steel motherboard tray attached). It's a YFF-61F1. I don't thin Global Win still carries it, but another company carries it under a different brand name and model.
    edited April 2006
    I think Mack did the tray hole mod a long time ago ...if I recall correctly.
    edited April 2006
    Very nice Leo!

As for the passive cooled mainboards, i have a couple of those mentioned Asus, but for AMD. Boy, those heatsinks, including the heatpipes, gets glowing hot.

Don't even think of sticking a heatpipe-cooled mainboard in one of those up-side down cases cause the heatpipe will have a very negative effect. The heat is supposed to rise from the chipset, through the heatpipe and finally to a bigger heatsink at the top of the board. Just imagine what would happen when you flip the board around. All heat will get to the chipset instead. This is quite a dilemma for the users with the Lian-Li "V" series of cases.

I can't understand why we don't see more of the hole in the tray-thingy. It won't revolutionalize the world of pc cooling, but it definitely helps a bit.

Simon, that was for doing the classical pin-mod at the back of the board actually, but it was so ugly. It got some ventilation though :)
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I think the heat from the CPU (and video card, but less so) still outstrips that from the motherboard... heat is NOT temperature; heat energy can be measured as temperature * mass * specific heat and the CPU's heatsink has a lot more than the motherboard components put together. I think the most wattage must be coming out of the CPU and that's why we take it away with the fan (using heatsink as temporary storage). So the issue on the motherboard isn't the heat output but if we let the heat sit there the temperature WILL rise, and at 75C stuff might stop working. It doesn't need a serious cooling system like the CPU or video card, though.

So I guess my point is that the choice of motherboard isn't going to affect how much heat output your computer has; it won't be much no matter what motherboard you get, but you still don't want any heat traps in your case.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    I'm using an Asus SLI premium with a 4000+ OC'd to 2.6 and a Zalman CNPS7000B Running at 38C under full load. I'd say thats pretty damn cool for an OC =)

I do think that some MOBO's give off more heat then others. Especially MOBO's that are more modder/overclocker friendly.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited April 2006
    Well, I decided that I was going to go with SLI sooner or later so I went ahead and bought the A8N-SLI deluxe. Works like a dream. The temp on my CPU is now 30C idle. Same case, HS, everything. Only thing that bothers me is the northbridge fan. I have some questions about replacing it.
    I will post another thread for this question.

Thanks,
    Radio91P:usflag:
    edited April 2006
    Radio91P wrote:
    Well, I decided that I was going to go with SLI sooner or later so I went ahead and bought the A8N-SLI deluxe. Works like a dream. The temp on my CPU is now 30C idle. Same case, HS, everything. Only thing that bothers me is the northbridge fan. I have some questions about replacing it.
    I will post another thread for this question.

Thanks,
    Radio91P:usflag:

How much are you looking to spend? I like this one myself.
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/minoxewh.html
    edited April 2006
    With my latest motherboards - MSI 945P Neo-F, Asus P5LD2 and P5WD2's, I've had great success with just mounting 40mm fans from my parts bins to the existing, already decent, stock northbridge sinks on the boards. This has been overclocking at full load up to 1000MHz above nominal CPU ratings. Total cost? 00