New rig for a friend : need mb

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Here is the new rig im trying to build for a friend :

Processeur AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor S939 San Diego 2.2GHZ 1MB L2 Cache 90NM [Retail Box]
HEATSINK + FAN CPU : in retail box
OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 184PIN Pin DualChan
ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI-E 256MB 256BIT GDDR3 DVI TV-OUT
PowerSupply OCZ PowerStream 520 Watt ATX12V V1.3 BTX 24PIN
Seagate Barracuda 200GB 7200.9 8MB SATA2 11MS Roha NCQDVD LG 16X DVD Rom Drive BK
DVD NEC Black 16X DVD+/-R BK
Case ANTEC SLK3000B ATX MID TOWER CASE Black 6X5.25 5X3.5 NO PS
Motherboard ???
Viewsonic Graphics G90FB 19IN Perfectflat Screen CRT Black 1920X1440

---

The only ??? i have is about the motherboard. Since he doenst know anything about OC and will never try to OC his computer (by its own) and will not be tweaking his computer, i will not put him a DFI board because it needs a LOT of tweaking to be stable and give the best performance. I am thinking about an Asus board, wich one is the better for this rig in your opinion ? I've not been following Asus boards since a year or so... He will not be doing SLI, never. Its most likely a plug and play computer that will not change until 4-5years, then will be sold lol

I'll take any comments on the hardware of this rig, feel free to aware me with the possible problems with this rig, if they are any. :)

Thankx for the help.

Comments

• GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited April 2006
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131541

This board seems the best Asus board for his needs. What do you think ? :)
    edited April 2006
    Hum, no PCI-E slot... Guest its not enough cuz i want to find him a PCI-E video card. Im not sure about the x800 xl for now but im sure it will be a PCI-E card.

This board seems better :
    ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530

The other asus boards have SLI or other things that my friend doesnt need.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    GooD wrote:
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131541

This board seems the best Asus board for his needs. What do you think ? :)
    You picked a great manufacturer but the chiset isn't so good. I think your friend would do much better with this ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra. It costs more but is well worth it in performance and reliavility. I stay as far away from VIA based boards as possible these days. The one I listed is based on the well know nF4 ultra chipset. The OCZ memory you listed above will also be a good fit for this board!
    edited April 2006
    Thankx for the reply mtgoat ! :)

You didnt read my last reply, didnt you ? hah

The board you listed seems perfect, has PCI-E support, great chipset. Kinda cheap priced too and got good reviews on what i can find. :)

Now i only need to continue my search for the best video card for ~350CND :hitit2:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    or maybe this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131584

Either should be great.

Watch you X800XL, they come in a couple of different flavors with different pipelines. If you wanted to shave cost some teh X800GTO2 is an option.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    GooD wrote:
    Thankx for the reply mtgoat ! :)

You didnt read my last reply, didnt you ? hah

The board you listed seems perfect, has PCI-E support, great chipset. Kinda cheap priced too and got good reviews on what i can find. :)

Now i only need to continue my search for the best video card for ~350CND :hitit2:
    I was likely gathering my linkage while composing my own post. I say it is an omen! ;)

As for the vid card, I think either one of these would be a surefire winner. I know they are slightly more than 350CAD but they are well worth the extra. They are alos waaaaayyyyy better than the X800XL you originally listed. My preferance is the EVGA card.

EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GT CO 500MHZ PCI-E 256MB 369.98CND

PNY GeForce 7900 GT 450MHZ PCI-E 256MB 359.00CND
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Viewsonic Graphics G90FB 19IN Perfectflat Screen CRT Black 1920X1440
    Now why are doing that to your friend? Two or three years ago that would have been my exact recommendation - high quality flat CRT. But now, prices are so good on decent quality 19" LCD monitors that I see no need for yesterday's technology.
    edited April 2006
    Because the image quality of the CRT monitor seems amasing. And it will make him save ~80CND that i can put on the video card instead.

Plus, he told me he wants a CRT screen cuz he does not like the image quality of most of the LCD screen he have seen. I can understand it cuz when i first look at my SAMSUNG 915N it took me some time to make abstraction of the 'pixel' on the screen. Like when we move a window fast or look at a point on the screen for a long time, you see all those 'pixel' on the screen. After a week my eyes was ok and i now i dont notice it anymore, but at first it hurts i think. I love LCD screen mainly because they take 90% less space. He said he don't care about space :p
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited April 2006
    Hey GooD,

I have one of the A8N-E mobo's. It is an awesome board. It is stable as a rock, and has enough OC options to do some nice stuff. Have my X2 at 2.6 no problem. This board runs really cool too. This board is great because you can get all the drivers off the nVidia site.

Have fun with it!
    Radio91P
    edited April 2006
    Have fun with it!

Hahah Yeah it seems to be a very nice board for a very good price. :) But i wont have fun with it since its for a friend ;) If my friend is happy then i am :D I guest he will, i don't think you can go wrong with an Asus board for stability.
    mtgoat wrote:
    As for the vid card, I think either one of these would be a surefire winner. I know they are slightly more than 350CAD but they are well worth the extra. They are alos waaaaayyyyy better than the X800XL you originally listed. My preferance is the EVGA card.

You're the man !!!! Did you know that ?

The EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GT CO 500MHZ PCI-E 256MB at <~400CND is very nice !

Yep... I think i just found the video card too. The rig list is now complete !!!

Thankx a lot !
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Good call on the monitor. The better choice would be to go to www.azatek.com and by a good used CRT.

Let's see, compared to the best LCD; my CRT is 200x as fast, has twice the contrat ratio and better color resolution.

If you need to shave a few bucks on the video card you could look at htis one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130273
    The 7800GS is not bad at all.