WINDOWS SYSTEM is missing or corrupt. HELP!

edited April 2006 in Hardware
“System32 - Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM”

Hi, I tried to start my computer I got this error message.

I used the XP disk to repair this, but it doest recognize that a windows is already installed. I wanted to repair the existing installation. And keep all my data on the computer without reformatting and installing XP again.

I've tried the recovery console, using the advice from Microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

In the recovery console I choose the 1: C:\WINDOWS
I the proceded to type the rest of the commands
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak

when I press return on the last command I get the answer
the file could not be copied
it’s the same for every other command

Any help on this would be useful thanks.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Have you tried Windows XP installation in "repair" mode, not repair a Windows installation, or recovery console, but a repair installation?
  • edited April 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Have you tried Windows XP installation in "repair" mode, not repair a Windows installation, or recovery console, but a repair installation?

No, how do you do that

thanks
  • edited April 2006
    In the recovery console i typed
    fixboot

this did't fix the problem
    now when i boot with out the XP disk it doest go to the error screen it says
    press any key to restart
    disk boot failure, inster disk and press enter

Also when you’re in recovery console does each command line begin with?
    C:\WINDOWS>

thanks
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    For a Repair Install, boot from the Windows CD and proceed as though you were doing a fresh installtion; don't go into the Recovery Console at all.

At some point, Setup will find your existing copy of Windows on the hard drive and should give you the option to repair it - DON'T add a second copy. :)
  • edited April 2006
    I tried a fixboot command in recovery console, but this didn’t fix anything. Now every time I boot before I enter windows setup I get this
    NTLDR is missing
    Press any key to restart
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, insert system disk and press enter

In the windows setup I pressed enter to install new windows, it recognized that a windows was already installed
    CAUTION: A \WINDOWS folder already exist that may contain a windows installation. If you continues the existing windows installation will be overwritten.

• To use this folder and delete the existing windows installation in it, press L

• To use a different folder, press ESC

• To quit setup press F3

There was on option for repair
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited April 2006
    WOW!

This JUST happened to my Dell Inspiron 8600 yesterday.

When I ran diagnostics on my 8600, I found 2 errors during the HD check saying:

"Uncorrectable data error"

Since you have the exact same error as I, I think your HD probably has a couple bad sectors right where the Config\System file resides.

I searched everywhere I could think of last night looking for a way to fix this problem. I found responses just like what you've already done.

I called Dell Gold Tech support, they agreed with everything we've tried, and could offer no other work arounds. The tech I spoke to was really sharp, he even conferenced in a Lead Tech he knew from Microsoft. No luck. Unfortunately I have to tell you there is no way to recover this drive on-machine. Basically, your HD is hosed...

Your (Our) only solution is to get a new HD.

You might be able to slave this HD to another machine with a working OS, and pull data off it, or use a BartPE disk to get some network conectivity to recover and transfer your data off this drive.

Luckily for me my 8600 is still under warranty. Dell is over-nighting a new drive to me.

Link to:

Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited April 2006
    MORE DETAILS:

When I started my 8600 yesterday, I got the same error as BB:

“System32 - Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM”

I immediately pulled out my XP disk to run a repair install.

After I hit "Enter" to install XP Pro, the computer would search for "Previously installed versions of Windows" and it would stop..... No HD light, nothing....:shakehead

Next I tried running the recovery console.

I would select "R" to run the console, then select "1" for the version of Windows I wanted the recovery console to run on, and it would stop... again, not HD light, no sound, nothing......:shakehead
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Uh oh. Sounds like your hard drive is past the point of no return. I'm pretty weak when it comes to recovery console command strings, so I can't help you with that. If it were me, I'd come up with another hard drive, install Windows on it, and copy whatever data you can from that bad drive before it fails completely.