OC'd folding

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited April 2006 in Folding@Home
I remember having a problem when i OC'd my amd 64 3200+ and for some reason the cores were being messed up and wouldnt send or fold right. I got a new heatsink and my temps dropped alot so I wanna oc my processor from 2.2 to 2.4, but how can I do it without messing up my folding, or is it just a chance to take?

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I have a 754 3000+ folding at 2.63Ghz and standard core is 1.8Ghz I have no issues with the cores... it is set to tinkers and I jumped up from 6.1 points per hour to 8.9 points per hour :)
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    I have to go to work in 45 mins so i'll try bumping it up to 2.4 and see how it does.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Just monitor your system. Specifically, look at the F@H log frequently to check for problems such "Early Unit End" and the like. You really can't predict what overclcockling will do to work units until you monitor for a while.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2006
    Make sure your PC is Pi 32m stable, before starting folding.
    edited April 2006
    Ok well first I have to get my pc OC'd. Its been acting very strange if I OC and its not due to heat. I think my windows was installed poorly or something because it kept on doing weird things.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    tmh88, those issues were probably due to instability. It is very important to do some thorough stability testing whenever you OC your PC. Take a look at the OC article link in my sig, it outlines how to use Prime95 and SuperPI 32M to test your CPU/RAM overclock.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Its been acting very strange if I OC and its not due to heat.
    Possibilities:
    1. Motherboard is not a good overclocking board.
    2. Your RAM has no headroom.
    3. The northbridge is overheating.
    4. The PSU voltages fluctuate too much/CPUv lags (droops) under load.

Why don't you start a thread in the Performance Tweaking forum? There are only a boat load of rabid overclockers here who would love to help you. :D
    edited April 2006
    lemonlime, I used to have my cpu OC'd to 3.45 a while ago, and I've also read the OC'ing guide. If i cant get this im not gonna worry, im getting a laptop in a couple months, so hopefully itl be faster than this system now.