Full HDD, should i get a new one

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Hardware
ok, i got my computer probably about year 2000, so its been a good 5 years (possibly more)..........

well it has a stock 80gb hard-drive that has lasted us all 5 years...........
and well, its got only 3.5 gb left.

At the rate that we are constantly dumping pictures into this computer from digital cameras............. that space will be filled in no time.........

So im worried because ive never had a full hard-drive. In fact ive only had 3 computers, the first one crashed and never turned back on, this is the second one, and the 3rd computer is the new laptop we just got........

Can my computer run on a full or almost full hard-drive, or should i get a new hard-drive as soon as possible?

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    It should keep running, but if your operating system also resides on this hard drive, you will begin to have file fragmentation issues. I forget the exact percentage, but eventually it will not be possible to defragment your drive. Performance will be hit pretty hard as a result. Personally, I'd keep the 80GB for your operating system/programs and get a 250GB drive for storage. 250GB is the sweet spot as far as price per gigabyte right now I believe.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited April 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    250GB is the sweet spot as far as price per gigabyte right now I believe.
    You believe right... I got my WD 250 7200 for 92.99 I think on Newegg (shipped)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    320gb drives are available for ~$111. $00.03 per gig cheaper than the 250s.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Yes, get a new drive, and as recommended above, put the operating system on the 80GB drive. Even better, if you can find a good deal, get two new drives. Use one for everyday use and the second one for backup. Consider getting an external drive enclosure for the second drive. That way, when you aren't backing up your system, you can unplug the drive for even better security of your programs and data.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I keep trying to tell people that at 75% full your drive really starts to slow down and weird things start to pop up. As a new drive slowly fills you don't notice the difference much because it is gradual. Then as the percentage full gets above 70% it really starts to become more noticeable. At 95% your drive has lost most of its effectiveness and won't do things like complete a Disk Check or simply will not Defragment anymore.

I agree that a new drive in the 250 to 320 GB range is in order for just your file storage. that should be enough to get you along for some time. Since your current 80GB is 5 yrs old I would strongly recomend getting a new 80GB drive for your OS and apps. At 5yrs old and being as full as it is it won't be long till it will srart to cause problems. If you cannot afford both then just get the one large drive for your files. Leonardo mentioned a good idea also if you can swing it.
    Even better, if you can find a good deal, get two new drives. Use one for everyday use and the second one for backup. Consider getting an external drive enclosure for the second drive. That way, when you aren't backing up your system, you can unplug the drive for even better security of your programs and data.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited April 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    It should keep running, but if your operating system also resides on this hard drive, you will begin to have file fragmentation issues. I forget the exact percentage, but eventually it will not be possible to defragment your drive. Performance will be hit pretty hard as a result. Personally, I'd keep the 80GB for your operating system/programs and get a 250GB drive for storage. 250GB is the sweet spot as far as price per gigabyte right now I believe.

under 15% free it can not defrag
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited May 2006
    my 80Gb filled up and i replaced it with a seagate 300G from Fry's $104.95
  • edited May 2006
    If your close to filling it up then it is pretty obvious that in the near future your going to need more hard disc space anyway. For the sake of £60/$100 (on ebuyer) its not much to ask for piece of mind and the time saved sorting through stuff to delete. Your old disc can be used as backup aswell so you wont loose those digital pictures!
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    gibbonsl wrote:
    under 15% free it can not defrag

Not true. 15% is the recommended minimum free space for defragmentation but I've done full defrags at 8% free or so before.
    UKcharlie wrote:
    If your close to filling it up then it is pretty obvious that in the near future your going to need more hard disc space anyway. For the sake of £60/$100 (on ebuyer) its not much to ask for piece of mind and the time saved sorting through stuff to delete. Your old disc can be used as backup aswell so you wont loose those digital pictures!

UK prices really don't translate to US prices well at all (and visa-versa) so it's likely to be quite a lot cheaper than that. Also I wouldn't recommend using a quite old drive for backup purposes, it's more likely to stop working or begin corrupting things.