MSI 945p NEO2 Overclocking problem

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hi,

I just get D805 and MSI 945p Neo2 , but when I try overcklock "ever with small value to 134 - 140 FSB", my computer boots two times and returns to 133 FSB , some thing is in CoreCenter, when I hit Apply nothing hapens , where I'm wrong?

My system is:
CPU: Pentium D805
Mainboard: MSI 945p Neo2-F
RAM: 2Gb DDR 533 A-data
PSU: Fortron 400W
Video: temporary PCI S3 2Mb (PGE is disabled in bios)

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Are you changing settings in Windows from the Core Center software, or straight from the BIOS? With your motherboard, it makes a big difference.
  • edited April 2006
    From BIOS system boots two times and runs on defaut 2.66 , (PCI is locked to 33MgHz, rising CPU only )

From Core Center , When I hit Apply Display flickers, and nothing hapens.
    edited April 2006
    I've used that motherboard before, but I don't remember all the BIOS options. Have you turned off all CoreCenter and automatic performance enhancing entries in the BIOS?

I assume you have a motherboard manual. I hope you have the manual with your native language. Do you?

While you are looking/replying, I will be taking a look at the manual so I can provide better advice.
  • edited April 2006
    I can read English well, but my gramatic is horrible :)

Somthig else, My BIOS date is 12/2005 but on msi webpage there is not new BIOS avaible.
    edited April 2006
    Before we look at specific BIOS settings, please ensure that the CoreCenter program is set so that it does not start when Windows starts, OK? If you try to make BIOS changes and CoreCenter software starts with Windows, you have the potential of instability.

BIOS:

Please look in the "Cell Menu" screen:

High Performance Mode - should be Manual
    Memory Function Control - what are your settings?
    DOT, all sections - turn OFF
  • edited April 2006
    Here is my Cell Menu

cell.jpg.xs.jpg

I dont have these options :(
    edited April 2006
    That's strange. Have you used the MSI updating software to flash to the newest BIOS?

The first Core Cell BIOS screen should look like the attachment I've provided below. Your settings shouldn't be those pictured, but you should have those options, unless the BIOS displays are different for an 805 than for 820s.
  • edited April 2006
    I just install Live Update and there NO new BIOS, my BIOS DATE is 12/05:scratch: , very strange!

Here is online manual , and in manual Cell menu is the same as mine!

http://66.96.84.4/support/mnu_exe/mbd_mnu/M7176v2.0.zip
    edited April 2006
    Very well. Thanks for the notice of the different version manual. The one I had used before was the one I attached earlier. Wow, I just am not very familiar with the options in the new BIOS/manual.

In "Advanced Chipset Setup", at the "DRAM Frequency" entry, please select "533". We want to lock your DRAM at it's default speed so we can isolate the CPU FSB for overclocking.

In "Cell Menu", disable "Spread Spectrum", keep PCI Frequency at 33.3 (where you had it before), and set the CPU FSB at 135 (just to test). Does the BIOS still refuse to keep your settings?

OOOOOHHHH. I just noticed. You wrote that your board is an "MSI 945P Neo-2". I am so sorry! I was thinking this whole time about the MSI 945P Neo-F that I used to have. Oh boy, I'll have to read your manual some more. I'm thinking that your board is not really designed for overclocking. Maybe I am wrong.
    edited April 2006
    Other settings:

In the "Cell Menu", turn off/disable "CPU Dynamic Overclocking". It's an automatic overclocking device that may or may not work well, but if on, will not let you manually set the CPU FSB.

You should be able to try different FSB settings now.
  • edited April 2006
    I have tried everithing that you see but nothig hapens, in one time core center tell me that FSB is 134 but system locks up, then strange restarts and nothig again :( . Seems that matedrboard can not overclock D805, very stupid :(. MSI CPU chart tells that intergrity with this processor is under testing. Can you recomend me good motherboards for overclocking D805?

Thank you for the help!:cheers:
  • edited April 2006
    Hey guys, thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents seeing as I have EXACTLY the same setup as original poster except for video card and RAM.

MSI 945P Neo2F
    Pentium D805
    TT Big Typhoon
    1g DDR2 533 ram
    XFX 7600GT video

I just purchased this machine off MWAVE with the intention of overclocking and have been running into the same problems as OP. Keep in mind I am an overclocking noob AND I have a very crappy 400W PSU. However, last night I was able to get the D805 up to 2.95 and load windows. It seems like, at least for me, there is a very delicate balance of NB, CPU over, and FSB settings. Here is a list of what combination of settings held in BIOS after reboot:

NB 1.65 1.7 1.7 1.7
    CPU 125 175 187 200
    FSB 143 146 147 148

the 147 and 148 FSB settings do not hold 100% of the time but I've always been able to get 146FSB to hold which puts me at 2919 CPU. No matter what I do, I can't get faster than 148 FSB. Needless to say I will be very disapointed if I can not get my D805 faster than 2.9. Any ideas from you OC experts would be great but please don't tell me to buy a different motherboard, I will shoot myself in the face, or the leg.
    edited April 2006
    MSI motherboards are high quality, durable, reliable, and very user friendly, but in my experience, they are not easy to overclock. That just is not one of MSI's design priorities.

I've used two similar boards to the Neo2 you guys have. With Pentium D820s, I've overclocked the 945P Neo-F boards to stable, 24/7, full load overclocks of 3.5 and 3.6GHz. To achieve those overclocks I had to use MSI's software overclocking utility. I just couldn't get much success with the BIOS settings. I recommend you guys try the software. I have always disdained software overclocking because there are too few settings that you can manipulate, but at least with my MSI experience, it was the better choice.

Download MSI Core Center (945P Neo-F/Neo2-F) and give it a try. Before you overclock with the software, you should set your BIOS CPU and memory settings to stock.

Also, if you haven't already done so, flash your BIOS to the latest version. MSI's Live Update works very well.

Please keep us informed how it goes!
  • edited April 2006
    sigh...
    Flashed Bios, updated Core Center, no dice. In Core Center, I can adjust the CPU voltage and NB voltage, it saves those settings, but when I try to bump up the FSB, the 133 just blinks at me. Like its mocking me. I'm thinking the 945P Neo2 is a pretty new board and MSI just hasn't worked out the communication with Core Center. It sucks if I have to wait for an updated version of Core Center before I can overclock. First I thought the problem was my cheap PSU but aparantly its the MSI board. Leonardo, I'm wondering what you set your NB and CPU voltage on your MSI board to accommodate 3.6GHz. I'd like to get a referance point from someone with similar hardware.
    edited April 2006
    Make sure that Core Cell/Center is not turned off in the BIOS. Check the manual for enabling it. Sorry, I don't remember the exact settings. I do though, remember that once the software and BIOS were in synch, software overclocking was very smooth, as long as you go very slowly with the FSB incremental bumps.

Concerning the voltages: I only had to bump vCore maybe two increments to get 3.5/6.

As as the Neo-2 being too new, no, I don't think so. I believe it's just a later revision of the 945P Neo-F, which was already a mature board when I used it.

Tell you what - contact Donut, or better, get him to post in this thread. He's got the 945P Neo-F that I used to own.
  • edited April 2006
    There is nothing in the manual about enabling Core Center in BIOS. Spent some time looking though settings in BIOS and I don't think Core Center is even mentioned. I have a feeling the 945P NeoF you're used to is unfortunately quite different from the 945P Neo2 I'm stuck with. It does give me some hope though, to hear software overclocking went smooth once you got BIOS and software in synch. Maybe I don't have to ebay this thing quite yet.
    edited April 2006
    Hope you sort it out. I wish I could remember more details. If you desire is upper-end overclocking on a Socket 775, you really need to go Asus or Abit on the 945/55/75 chipsets.
  • edited April 2006
    Ok I think I've isolated the problem. I emailed MSI and they explained it this way:

Dear Customer,

This is one of the reason why our official processor supporting list did not list this 805 as support it processor:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=707&kind=1
    We will forward this request to our bios team and will be added in to the next bios release.

Sincerely,

Technical Support Team
    Technical Support Division
    MSI Computer Corp.
    http://www.msicomputer.com
    edited April 2006
    Ohhh...I'm laughing at myself now. I didn't even think to check if the board supports the D805. Well, there's our answer.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2006
    I didn't have any luck OCing, In my haste, I assumed operator error. (most times it is). The board runs fine @ stock, but I couldn't up the fsb any. My wife is happy though, her new machine has been running fine.
  • edited July 2006
    Happen to find this site by accident. Well I just bought the MSI945P Neo2 & would like to say that I could overclock my D930 on it. The only thing is that Core Center only allows me to OC FSB max 222Mhz. To go beyond 222Mhz, I'll have to do it under BIOS menu which is cumbersome.

Cpu.th2.jpg Cpu2.th2.jpg Cpu3.th2.jpg
  • edited July 2006
    i got same problem & the conclusion is they haven't support D-805 for MSI 945P Neo2-F yet...until now, i've updated the BIOS and nothing changed. So it's better to return my 805 & add some extra money to buy 820 ($30 difference). Are you sure that 820 can be overclocked on this mainboard via standard BIOS?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    Check this thread here.http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40521

If it's the same board Leonardo started with, you should be all set. Also some good tips and observations.:thumbsup:

edit. upon re-reading parts of this thread, you might have to use software to OC or a combo of software and the BIOS.