can i put this into my dell dimension 4300!?

edited April 2006 in Hardware
is it possible to put in 1 gig ram, 250 bg hard drive, and 3.0 ghz processor without it failing? i have found all of these patrs at a good price.. does anyone know if its poossible? or do i need to have a different mother board or sometihng? please help

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Could you provide us a link to somewhere tha shows your computer's specifications? Your question is very hard to answer without knowing the capabilities of the motherboard and power supply unit.

You could also download and install Belarc Advisor. It will tell you the hardware composition of your computer.
  • edited April 2006
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 4300
    System Service Tag: 3Z5F111 (support for this PC)
    Chassis Serial Number: 3Z5F111
    Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    1.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 4300
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A02 09/10/2001
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    30.24 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    10.27 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

_NEC DV-5800A [CD-ROM drive]
    KS7102L YUE845B SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
    SONY CD-RW CRX140E [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 2B020H1 [Hard drive] (20.00 GB) -- drive 0, s/n B1A0ATPE, rev WAH21PB0, SMART Status: Healthy
    QUANTUM FIREBALL EL10.2A [Hard drive] (10.26 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 341821231836, rev A08.1100, SMART Status: Healthy 384 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_A' has 256 MB
    Slot 'DIMM_B' has 128 MB
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 19.99 GB 9.13 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 1) 10.25 GB 1.14 GB free
    Network Drives
    None detected

this was from the belcarc advisor
  • edited April 2006
    i cant find whether o not my mother board can hold what i want, i cant find that site.
    edited April 2006
    Although it is physically possible to install more memory, the system will only recognize 512MB.
    --From the site you linked.
    Without the exact model of motherboard in your system, I can't tell you with precision what the CPU upgrade options would be. I'm pretty sure though, that your DRAM and CPU upgrade proposal would not work with your motherboard. Your computer is several generations old. If I were you, I'd save my money for a new system rather than upgrade what you have. One upgrade you could do would be a larger hard drive, that is, if you need more storage volume.

EDIT: The RAM you linked is PC133, which is faster than what's in your computer. I would imagine your motherboard would clock the RAM down to the speed your computer runs at, which is PC100 for your computer. You've already got 384MB RAM. If I am correct, your motherboard probably has only two RAM slots. That means you could remove the 128MB module that's in your computer and replace it with a 256MB stick. Still though, I'm not sure if you'd experience much of a performance difference from your current 384MB or RAM. Frankly, your computer is of the age that you are very limited to what upgrades you can make.
  • edited April 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    --From the site you linked.
    Without the exact model of motherboard in your system, I can't tell you with precision what the CPU upgrade options would be. I'm pretty sure though, that your DRAM and CPU upgrade proposal would not work with your motherboard. Your computer is several generations old. If I were you, I'd save my money for a new system rather than upgrade what you have. One upgrade you could do would be a larger hard drive, that is, if you need more storage volume.

ok so any advice on how to find out my mother board?
    and also.. couldn';t i save a few bukcs.. and jsut gert a new motherboard, processor, hard drive, and ram? instead of getting a new cover, video card.. and such..?
    edited April 2006
    Do some Internet searches for the motherboard. One possible search term would be "Dell Dimension 4300 + motherboard". There should be a serial number or series number on your computer that you could look up as well.

Your suggestion for replacing the "motherboard, processor, hard drive, and ram" is probably not realistic. Your video card - you may NOT HAVE a video card. It may be just be a graphics chip ("onboard video"), part of your motherboard. Also, the power supply in that computer will not work with current, more powerful components. You probably could re-use your computer case, but you would be very limited in motherboard selection due the restrictive size of your Dell's case.

I really think it is not advisable to try to upgrade your system. I know this may be frustrating for you, but it's just a fact - older, branded computers are very difficult to upgrade to a high or even medium standard.
  • edited April 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Do some Internet searches for the motherboard. One possible search term would be "Dell Dimension 4300 + motherboard". There should be a serial number or series number on your computer that you could look up as well.

Your suggestion for replacing the "motherboard, processor, hard drive, and ram" is probably not realistic. Your video card - you may NOT HAVE a video card. It may be just be a graphics chip ("onboard video"), part of your motherboard. Also, the power supply in that computer will not work with current, more powerful components. You probably could re-use your computer case, but you would be very limited in motherboard selection due the restrictive size of your Dell's case.

I really think it is not advisable to try to upgrade your system. I know this may be frustrating for you, but it's just a fact - older, branded computers are very difficult to upgrade to a high or even medium standard.
  • edited April 2006
    wesll i can find the motherboad, so thx for your help. have a good day