BFG 7900GT - Cards Might 'Burn Up' or Capacitor Fall Off

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
I am a huge BFG fan along with being a huge Nvidia fan all around... But it has come to my attention of an issue on a certain BFG graphics card. In this case I am talking about the 7900GT that they offer. Below I have listed the model # and info on the card.

BFG Tech BFGR79256GTOCE Geforce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Core clock: 475MHz
DirectX: DirectX 9
DVI: 2
Memory Clock: 1360MHz
Memory Interface: 256-bit
OpenGL: OpenGL 2.0
Pixel Pipelines: 24
RAMDAC: 400 MHz
TV-Out: HDTV Out
# Model #: BFGR79256GTOCE

The Issue:

There has been 100's of reports of these cards shipping with capacitors that have fallen off in the box, or than have fallen off once the card was taken out of the box. There is also reports of this card frying and causing system issues. Now I have to say I was one of the unlucky ones who got a 7900GT that fried on me whole in the middle of booting windows. I wish I would have taken images but I sent the card back for a prompt refund.

If you to are having issues with this card please let us know. I have already talked with BFG support and they know about the issue. My question is why haven't they put out a recall.

Below I have posted images of the Graphics card.

Comments

• jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    I've never really agreed with BFG's roughly $50 price increase for a vid card OC'd by 10-20mhz. Thats bearly enough OC to be an OC.

Hope they get this fixed...SOON!
  • edited April 2006
    Yep mine has a cap missing but is running fine I emailed BFG and tehys iad it is OK to use so if it blows my system they can replace it...
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    That doesn't seem right. Besides, you've just dropped over $500 on a videocard, it should be in full operational and physical order. What are you going to do when you want to sell that 6 months down the line for a new top of the line card?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    My point exactly.. I did not spend cash to have pieces fallen off or missing. To sit there with a savings account of a Graphics card with missing items is not what I call cool.
    edited April 2006
    My point exactly.. I did not spend cash to have pieces fallen off or missing. To sit there with a savings account of a Graphics card with missing items is not what I call cool.

Very much agree!

I hope this isn't a reflection of BFG's QA. 100's of bad cards will send their rep down the crapper fast. I would RMA that card even though they said its ok without the cap. If the card was ment to not have that cap, it wouldn't have been on the bard in the first place.
  • edited April 2006
    Yeah... but I can't do with not having my PC for a week TBH and I've just overclocked to 670/1850 so until I get some issues with it, I have no reason to RMA it, and when I do want to sell it *cough* I'll just forget it had a cap missing *cough* after all it does have a lifetime warranty...
    edited April 2006
    According to you the warranty is already invalid!
    BFG Technologies is proud to warrant the original purchaser of the graphics card included in this package ("Product") that the Product will be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the product, when given normal wear and proper usage. Purchaser must retain the original sales receipt as proof of purchase for any and all warranty claims! This warranty is valid if the product:

>> Was not damaged while being installed.

>> Was not damaged by software or hardware from a company or individual other than BFG Technologies or by motherboard incompatibility.

>> Was operated in accordance with BFG Technologies specifications, instructions and any technical support directions.

>> Was not modified or damaged by overclocking, tampering, user error, accident, disaster, abuse, misuse, power supply, power application, alteration, repair, modification, a fix or replacement by someone other than BFG Technologies.
    >>

Third party products, such as motherboards and other system components using this Product are not be covered by this warranty.

BFG Technologies' liability under this warranty, or in connection with any other claim relating to the Product, is limited to the repair or at BFG Technologies option, the replacement of the portion of the Product which was defective in material or workmanship. This warranty does not apply to any software component.

You assume the risk of loss in transit and the returned Products shall be the sole property of BFG Technologies. BFG Technologies warrants the repaired or replaced Products will be free from defects in material or workmanship.

EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY STATED ABOVE, BFG Technologies MAKES NO WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WHETHER OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE, OR OTHERWISE ON THE PRODUCTS, OR ANY PARTS OR TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE OR OTHER LABOR FURNISHED.

BFG Technologies reserves the right to inspect and verify the defectiveness of any product returned. Please allow 48 hrs processing time once item has been received by BFG, and 3-5 days for shipping of the replacement product (shipped ground).
    edited April 2006
    Which is why I only use EVGA.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    If you to are having issues with this card please let us know.
    OK, fine, but who is "us?"
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    Yep mine has a cap missing but is running fine I emailed BFG and tehys iad it is OK to use so if it blows my system they can replace it...

send it in. Who cares, you get a brand new card, or even a refund. Why risk your system when you can have a brand new card. And like others mentioned, what if you want to sell it later?
  • edited May 2006
    Might RMA it when I'm going away in a couple of weeks, and BTW sledgehammer they're never gonna know its been overclocked lol...
    edited May 2006
    actually they could check the core and see what its max speed was ran at. they have the tech to do it, hence the few days of testing note in the warrenty..
    edited May 2006
    ...and when I do want to sell it *cough* I'll just forget it had a cap missing *cough*...

You are indeed a model citizen full of morals and high standards we can all live by.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    actually they could check the core and see what its max speed was ran at. they have the tech to do it, hence the few days of testing note in the warrenty..

Most cores dont sport non-volatile memory. It adds a lot of cost, for little benefit.
  • edited May 2006
    Yeah... I'm pretty sure they couldn't check what it had beeen running at, and BTW NiGHTS I wouldn't sell it if it didn't work.. but the missing cap hasn't caused any problems as such... and I did just manage to run it at 690 / 2000, atitool didn't detect any artifacts but it was a bit in windows so I'm thinking I'd need 1.55v for that...
    edited May 2006
    That's not what I'm saying; I have a problem with you knowingly selling a faulty product. You "forgetting" to acknowledge that the cap is missing at the time of sale, which is what you're implying on doing, is something I have a problem with.
  • edited May 2006
    Yeah well I ebay's ebay, and plus I got sold it without being told there was a missing cap from play.com and there's nothing wrong with the card and if there was the card could jut be RMA'd... so what's the problem?
    edited May 2006
    Ethic's... thats whats wrong...
  • edited May 2006
    Maybe, maybe not... that was all theoretical since I'm not selling the card anyway when I need a boost in FPS I'll get another one and SLI it.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Ethic's... thats whats wrong...

Well...that, and your usage of apostrophes ;D
  • edited August 2006
    I have the same problem. My video card burn up the same chips. I´m from venezuela and I need help with my video card, an inno3d 7900gt. I can´t return my video card to the seller (in hong kong) because is spensive. my only solution for my problem is know how to repair it here. If somebody know to do it or have a manual, please, reply this message. thank