SM36 Has Arrived!!!

Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
edited April 2006 in Folding@Home
Woohoo!!!! The postman came by and delivered the insides of SM36 this morning. Assembly will begin shortly and the case and power supply should be here shortly as well. Ups has it out for delivery as we speak.

Don't worry I snapped a pic!!!:rockon:

SM36.jpg

Comments

• Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited April 2006
    OK case has just arrived.......let the fun begin!!:fold:

SM362.jpg
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    That's a crazy looking case :D

Have fun, enjoy, and good luck! :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    Awesome! I figured it was 50-50 that the internal parts would make it by today.

Have fun, Buddha, and don't forget - Deadlineless WU's on the AMD! :fold:

:celebrate
    edited April 2006
    Ssshhheee'ssss AAAAllliiivvveeee!!!!

SM363.jpg

Its kinda tough hiding cables in this case but i'll tuck'um in somewhere.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    You mean Prof didn’t give you the wireless connections?

Good work BUddha16, now let’s see some points posted. I expect you to be on SMx33 and 32's tail in no time...
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2006
    Gah a powmax psu.. You should really change that since it will be on all the time.
    edited April 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    Gah a powmax psu.. You should really change that since it will be on all the time.
    That's great advice for a rig in everyday use (read: heavy gaming :D), but a dedicated Folding rig with a low-power PCI Video Card, just one HD, and (probably) no cdrom/DVD drive at all can get by with a less-than-great PSU. :cheers:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    NICE case... how good is it built? Looks great.. NOW GET FOLDING!!!
    edited April 2006
    It was only $24.99 with the PSU included, so I'm sure it's not built like a tank, but..... It'll do the job :D
    edited April 2006
    Case is actually pretty sturdy....the psu did have some great reviews on newegg (not really). But lets hope it serves its purpose and lasts a long time.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Pardon for the offtopic, but is it save to leave the fan off of the northbridge?

I'd love to rip it off my NF7 because of the amount of noise it creates, but is this another "safe for something that folds only?"
    edited April 2006
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Pardon for the offtopic, but is it save to leave the fan off of the northbridge?

I'd love to rip it off my NF7 because of the amount of noise it creates, but is this another "safe for something that folds only?"
    Many of the motherboards donated to the SMx Project have dicey, dead, or non-existent northbridge fans. I've never had any trouble with any of them after removing the fan completely. This particular board had a totally dead fan. I cleaned up the chip and let it run purely on ambient air cooling in a rather warm room. (It was not inside a case when I had it here.)

I think the worst that would happen would be that if the system was getting an extreme workout you might see memory errors, BSOD's, or freezing problems. I doubt you would be at significant risk of permanently damaging anything, at least as long as you didn't tolerate the aforementioned behavior (should it occur at all) for very long.

If you aren't overclocking and have good case cooling I'd say it is worth a shot. This is at your own risk, of course.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    If you aren't overclocking and have good case cooling I'd say it is worth a shot. This is at your own risk, of course.

Ah, well. That rules that one out, I had a feeling overclocking would change matters. That and the constant gaming I do would put a strain on anything.

Thanks for the answer, Prof! :wave:
    edited April 2006
    Ok so we're all done!!! Everything setup, os installed.....we are rockin'!!! :fold: She should turn in her first WU soon!!! Woohoo!!!:clap:
    edited April 2006
    Sweet!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    is it save to leave the fan off of the northbridge?
    That's a qualified 'yes'. I want to reiterate what Prof wrote. IF you are not overclocking and IF there is at least a little airflow over the northbridge sink, there should not be a problem resulting from removing the little, disgusting, cheap, buzzy, POS Abit northbridge fan. (Bet you can't tell I've worked with a lot of Abit motherboards before, can you! ;D;D )

You are also advised to remove the NB heatsink and apply quality thermal paste, such as Arctic Silver, especially if you will run it fanless.
    edited April 2006
    Buddha16 wrote:
    Ok so we're all done!!! Everything setup, os installed.....we are rockin'!!! :fold: She should turn in her first WU soon!!! Woohoo!!!:clap:
    Buddha16, that is awesome. Friday afternoon I was standing in line at the Post Office to mail the parts. A mere three days later you have the rig up and Folding. :csimon:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    AWESOME work Buddha!!!!! :thumbsup:
    edited April 2006
    Yea three days is pretty crazy. From Ohio to Texas with synchronization with newegg too, wow. Man you guys have your hand in everything huh?:respect: