Silverstone LC-17 HTPC

TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I recently got my hands on the above mentioned case to start a project for the living room. This case where chosen because of the usage of larger fans, it sports 92mm and 80mm fans in comparison to the normal 60mm fans on most HTPC cases. This kills the noise but still maintains proper cooling.

Another reason was that the CD/DVD-rom area is at the end of the case instead of in the middle so that a longer videocard can be used and to route cables better. I still want to be able to play games since the 32 inch LCD panel uses a native 1368X768 resolution. Here are a coupel of pictures courtesy of Silverstone:

Front:
LC17.jpg
Back:
LC17.jpg
Right Side:
LC17.jpg
Inside:
LC17.jpg

The side vent holds a 92mm fan that sucks the air out directly from the cpu if you wish. All bay modules are removable as is the top bar. When i removed the middle bay and the top bar i discovered something VERY cool (no pun intended)

htpcradiator.jpg

Whattayaknow, a Black Ice 120mm Radiator fits in between just like if it was it's home from the beginning. This will be an interesting project.

htpcradiator2.jpg

Lots of room left for the rest of the components, especially if a m-atx board is used. The psu is a prototype of a OCZ 700W that's incredibly quiet with close to 60 amps on the 12V line.

I had to swap the heatsinks around on the mainboard for the videocard to fit with the bolts for the waterblock on the videocard. As you can see, it's still a tight fit.

htpcchip.jpg
videoclose.jpg

The blocks:

Note how i had to saw down the 2 plastic tabs on the standard A64 retention bracket since i have removed the heatspreader on the Opteron. There wouldn't have been any contact between block and the core otherwise.
dd64block.jpg

As you can see,the 7800 block is prepped for sli but with good, thick-walled tubing, there shouldn't be any problems routing the tubing around.
7900block.jpg

To be continued...

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Nice looking case - I've been looking for one with proper cooling like that for a while. Let us know how the build progresses.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    The psu is a prototype of a OCZ 700W that's incredibly quiet with close to 60 amps on the 12V line.

:eek2::respect:

if you ever dont find a need for that psu anymore lemme know :bigggrin:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    fatcat6 wrote:
    :eek2::respect:

if you ever dont find a need for that psu anymore lemme know :bigggrin:

It won't work where you live anyway ;D
  • edited April 2006
    Wanna bet, Mack? :D I have 240v run back to my computer room right now and split it off in 2 different 120v legs at the wall. I could mod the wall plugs and put in 1-240v receptacle. ;D

Seriously now, that looks like a very nice case and it's neat how well the radiator fits in it too. :thumbsup:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    For around $120 bucks, it's definitely a steal. Is it available in the states?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    60 amps on the 12V
    Leo reads that....and falls flat on the floor.

I could you use three or four of those for evaluation, please.
  • edited April 2006
    What, the case or the 700 watt psu?;)

Newegg has the case for around $140 plus shipping, just giving a quick look.