Overclock a Linksys WRT54G

1235»

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2009
    But the 54GX4 isn't supported.
  • foolkillerfoolkiller Ontario
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, that looks to be one of those strange all on one chip routers. I wish these companies would realize that letting people adjust their firmware is a good thing. Linksys still sells alot of the WRT54GLs even now.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    What improvements, if any, does the DD-WRT or Tomato firmware bring to a home network with Ehternet-connected computers? My network is mainly hard wired. Also, does the Tomato firmware disengage if the router is shut down and restarted (or loses power)? What about DD-WRT?
    I wish these companies would realize that letting people adjust their firmware is a good thing.
    Oh, good Sir, I must disagree. For the great majority of router users, the less they can fiddle with, the better. It would be a good jobs progam for local ISPs, though! Now hiring, customer service desk personnel... People like us though, that's another matter. We relish tempting fate and taking hardware to the cliff's edge. :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    It provides some benefit in the form of superior traffic management, a better UI, better QoS and access control. Consider Tomato (I vaguely advise against DD-WRT for general purpose use) an operating system: even if you don't use all its features, it's still more stable and better suited for heavy traffic than the default Linksys firmware.

As for "disengage," what do you mean? :hrm:
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2009
    No it's firmware so once it's on there it's on there until it's removed, in the same way turning off your computer doesn't remove windows (ok well doesn't remove it most of the time :) ).

Advantages that DD-WRT or Tomato bring in the wireless field are pretty big. Beyond boosting your antenna signal they sometimes offer more robust wireless security then stock firmware and they also support other wireless technology like WDS if you are setting up a wireless mesh for example.

In my case I've found WRT54g's running tomato compared to stalk run more stable and are better for bit torrent traffic because you can adjust the number of connections they allow which for torrents can be a couple thousand easily. Additionally they provide QoS support which can benefit wired or wireless networks especially if you are using VoIP. There are other minor benefits but those are the big ones.

Now that being said we are talking about firmware running on a WRT54g which is a router that is about 5 years old now IIR. Newer home routers could be better and have advanced and 3rd party firmware may no longer be needed. But I haven't actually checked out any of the newer home routers in the last couple of years and compared them feature/feature.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    As for "disengage," what do you mean?
    Sorry for being vague. I read a post near the beginning of this thread (yeah, I know, several year old thread) advising that Tomato would have to be re-installed if the user powered off the router and restarted it. It seemed strange to me, because I've flashed motherboard BIOSes, router firmwares, and video cards many times before without loosing the updates after a power off/on cycle.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Tomato would do no and has never done any such thing.

/me is officially confused.
  • foolkillerfoolkiller Ontario
    edited February 2009
    I had a customer with a Linksys WRT310N Router that he had nothing but problems with using the Linksys firmware. I ended up installed DD-WRT and everything worked properly for him. He actually called Linksys support once for help with a VOIP box and they told him to reinstall the standard firmware, and he refused with the reason, "It works now, it never did with your shitty firmware on there." While they didn't help him with his problem after that, he did eventually figure out where the port mapping feature was and got himself sorted.

The WRT310N is a newer Draft N router and still has problems with Stock firmware, so I'd say the idea of having customizable firmware is still a good one.
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Guys, :)
    I do have a WRT54GS Speedbooster hw. version 7.2 and serial number CGNE1H924760.
    Latest fw. v7.2.07 build 013, Jul. 27, 2009
    Can I do something to increase the antenna range?
    Thanks ;)
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    Put a pair of high gain antenna's on it lik ethis.

There's not much you can do firmware wise with that router.
  • edited October 2011
    Do you have any information on how to do this on a WRT54GH? Tried the commands on latest firmware but it didn't work.
    Can't afford to buy new router and need to boost transmit strength for this one.