SM Review: Spinpoint SP2504C Hard Drive from Samsung

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Hardware
Read lemonlime's Review of the Samsung Spinpoint SP2504C Hard Drive, just published on Short-Media's front page.
"Quick and Quiet" is what Samsung has dubbed their latest P120 series hard drives. Let's take a look at Samsung's flagship 250GB SP2504C hard drive to see if it delivers on its promises.
I was very impressed by the Samsung SP2504C hard drive. It really does live up to its promise of being 'quick and quiet'. Its performance is top notch, and the large file performance is faster than any other SATA drive I've seen to date. It's very low noise levels also make it a perfect candidate for a home theatre or silent PC.
Please leave your feedback and thanks for visiting us. Short-Media's content is created by both its staff and members. If you're interested in contributing to the site, please read how you can get published.

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    A great look at both the qualities of the hard drive and the technologies behind it. You're on a roll, Mike :cool:
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    Samsung hard drives are great. I have a 120 gig in my xbox and it runs amazingly. Since there are alot of my games (the whole game, not just checkpoint saves), it has very fast loading times. I really like it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    This review has made my choice easier for my next HTPC drive upgrade.... :thumbsup:

The quietude is what intrigues me :ninja:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    A friend of mine swears by Spinpoints and has been buying them for a few years now. Not one has died on him yet, and I can personally attest to their quiet operation.
  • edited June 2006
    A good review and indeed it is a nice drive. The review's results match my findings.

However I also had to find out that some features that Samsung marketing advertises for this drive just are not there. Maybe they can claim these because nobody is likely to check ;)

Most notably, the ATA Streaming Feature Set is not supported, making this drive less interesting for HTPC's or as an upgrade into your digital PVR. Unfortunately.

jw