Gateway 5300

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Bought this 5300 gateway . was working fine, then all of a sudden screen went black. now has lines in it. cant see when it boots, so hooked it up to monitor on pc and works fine on it, what could it be? new to laptops. went to gateway, they arent any help at all. if any thoughts lemme know , thanks so much !!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Is it still under Gateway warranty?
  • edited April 2006
    Warranty went out the window when it was bought. No there isnt any warranty.
  • edited April 2006
    We purchased this gateway on ebay. was working fine, he went to reboot and it went to black screen. but works fine on external monitor. new to the whole laptop thing, so didnt know what that means. he put in a new touchpad and put it back together, nothing is loose or anything, so dont know what the problem is , now it wont allow him to add anything to it, a OS I mean. he has tried Linux and Windows, nothin works
    edited April 2006
    In that case:

Find the maintenance manual for your laptop. Study the manual and find out where the video cable is. If it's like many laptops, the cable will be a small ribbon cable. Disassemble the laptop enough to find the cable and to ensure it is seated correctly in its slot. Also inspect the laptop to ensure that the LCD panel's power wire is secure between the laptop body and the panel. If both cables are intact, you might have an LCD monitor that is going/has gone bad. The fact that your laptop will display properly on an external monitor would seem to rule out a bad graphics chip on the motherboard.
    edited April 2006
    Dany, I'm a bit confused. Are you the laptop quite functioning correctly after "he" put in a new touchpad?
  • edited May 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Dany, I'm a bit confused. Are you the laptop quite functioning correctly after "he" put in a new touchpad?
    Otay I am Dany "he" is my husband. He put that in and it was fine, then he went to install an OS and it went to reboot and poof no screen. Are we all together now ? LOL
    edited May 2006
    You wrote that nothing is loose. Hmm, it sounds like the small video cable that goes from the inside of the laptop casing to the bottom of LCD monitor is loose. It could also be that the graphics chip on the motherboard has gone bad. That's all I can think of right now. Has he/you tried resetting the BIOS? That would be through a little black platic pin on the motherboard.
  • edited May 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    You wrote that nothing is loose. Hmm, it sounds like the small video cable that goes from the inside of the laptop casing to the bottom of LCD monitor is loose. It could also be that the graphics chip on the motherboard has gone bad. That's all I can think of right now. Has he/you tried resetting the BIOS? That would be through a little black platic pin on the motherboard.
    Where is the lil black pin on the motherboard, we have it apart and we cant seem to find it. Well the reason I said nothing is loose,someone told us to make sure that no cables were loose, and they are not. Thanks again for response. Dany
    edited May 2006
    I don't know where it is. All motherboards are different. It will be a little, black plastic cap that rests on three pins. Etched/painted on the motherboard beneath this "jumper" (cap) might be the word "CMOS". Move the jumper from the two pins it rests on to the alternate two pins, 1-2 -> 2-3. Then move it back after about a minute. Then, if you have video, will need to reset the BIOS settings. I really can't advise you further without the computer/motherboard manual.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    It's a laptop. ;)

Follow the instructions here to remove the keyboard, then look for a small battery underneath it. Remove the small battery (it's probably similar to a watch battery), the main battery, and make sure it's unplugged from the wall. Wait half an hour and then replace everything, starting with the dinky battery under the keyboard first.

That process should reset the BIOS for you. If that was all that was causing the problem you'll just need to enter the BIOS and reset the date, time, etc.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited May 2006
    I know it's a laptop....:skeptic: You'll just have to excuse my ignorance. I though laptop motherboards also have CMOS jumpers.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    I know it's a laptop....:skeptic: You'll just have to excuse my ignorance. I though laptop motherboards also have CMOS jumpers.
    I guess I read something into your reply that wasn't there. :O

Oops... :hiding:

Usually, (though not always), they avoid the use of jumpers in laptops due to the fact that they could fall off completely if you happen to bump the thing while it's upside down (like in a briefcase, etc).