Generally poor performance

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Hardware
My machine just doesn't seem to be performing up to scratch (yes, I've done the usual, spyware scans {none found}, Virus scans {none found}, Defragged, etc). It's supposed to be a (very) high end machine, but it just seems... bleh at times, far too often not to mention it's far too easy to bring it to a crawl. I have a sneaking suspicion the main offender may be my hard-drive, but I've ran a barage of tests on the machine to see if anyone can spot any other issues, but first, a comprehensive list of the machine...

AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ (S939)(@ stock 2010MHz) with stock HSF.
Asus A8N-E (nForce 4).
XFX (nVidia) GeForce 7800GT PCI-X16 (@ stock).
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 (Model 6Y160M0) 160GiB (8MB Cache) SATA.
1GB TwinMoss DDR 400 (2x512 for Dual Channel).
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy (rev 2).
Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 1.0a.
LiteOn SHM-165P6S-09C DVD+-RW/RAM.

Temperatures are all fine and there's nothing obvious, not even a single other program running normally (except for system processes usually). On a side note, stay away from that LiteOn, it's utter garbage. Takes years to spin up and read things. Oh, found a review for this HD, seems people sing its praises... when it doesn't die... (http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review48_main238.html).

Some benches from graphics programs (although 3DMark has never had a problem with HD mashing).

3D Mark 2001 SE - 22952
3D Mark 2005 - 7555
3D Mark 2006 - 4193 (1723/1694/1518)
PC Mark 2005 (attached)

So yeah, slowness... what gives?

Comments

• EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    Maxtor and nF4 has some problem, don't know how to fix it.

Maybe this can help you,
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=11499

You can use HD tach to test your HDD,
    http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach

The problem has been the access time ~22 ms.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    Hmm, very odd. Not sure if you have already, but give a chkdsk /R a try. I've seen all sorts of performance issues occur when the filesystem or disk is choking.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Hmm, very odd. Not sure if you have already, but give a chkdsk /R a try. I've seen all sorts of performance issues occur when the filesystem or disk is choking.

That comes under the obvious.
    Esso wrote:

Maybe this can help you,

You can use HD tach to test your HDD,
    http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach

The problem has been the access time ~22 ms.

Yeah, I read about this before when I thought it was the reason for not being able to install XP (rather than it saying "Windows is detecting your hardware" and then going to a blue setup screen, it would just stay black, nothing would happen.

Anyway, taching it now.
    edited May 2006
    Attached the Tach short and long tests.
    edited May 2006
    Esso wrote:
    Maybe this can help you,

Ok, just checked that link, it's only an issue with Diamond Max 10 and upwards, mine's a 9.
    edited May 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Attached the Tach short and long tests.

Your drive performance is about what I would expect for a DM9. No issues there.
    edited May 2006
    Hmm, maybe I'm just expecting too much from the drive, but the system just always seems to get bogged down so easily and the drive seems to spend more time than it should churning away...

Are there many better drives? I've been looking into SCSI again but I'm not really sure where to start (I'm not really up for RAID, the whole 2 drives to increase performance doesn't work for me and the amount of times drives die on me is too much, doubling the chance doesn't seem like a bright idea).

So... with me thinking about SCSI... where to start and what should I be looking at? (in a not-obscenely-expensive pricerange...).
    edited May 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Hmm, maybe I'm just expecting too much from the drive, but the system just always seems to get bogged down so easily and the drive seems to spend more time than it should churning away...

Are there many better drives? I've been looking into SCSI again but I'm not really sure where to start (I'm not really up for RAID, the whole 2 drives to increase performance doesn't work for me and the amount of times drives die on me is too much, doubling the chance doesn't seem like a bright idea).

So... with me thinking about SCSI... where to start and what should I be looking at? (in a not-obscenely-expensive pricerange...).

Hi Enverex,

Personally, I don't think the issue is your drive. If you are getting a lot of thrashing of the drive in games, it could be that you are simply running out of physical memory. I recently moved to 2048MB of ram, and I saw a significant improvement in games like Oblivion. Even with dual raptors in raid-0, I got a lot of disk thrashing previously. Could you be more specific about the performance issues you are seeing? Is it gaming only, or even general windows use?
    edited May 2006
    The HD issues were mainly that things (general apps) seemed to take too long to load (the HD was thrashing about still so it's not waiting for things) and the other issue is general sluggishness when using more than 1 program at a time, just kinda like it not always responding as well as it should.I only recently upgraded to 1GB of RAM, damn, 2GB now already?

Either way, I'm curious about upgrading to a high performance SCSI drive anyway now...
    edited May 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    The HD issues were mainly that things (general apps) seemed to take too long to load (the HD was thrashing about still so it's not waiting for things) and the other issue is general sluggishness when using more than 1 program at a time, just kinda like it not always responding as well as it should.I only recently upgraded to 1GB of RAM, damn, 2GB now already?

Either way, I'm curious about upgrading to a high performance SCSI drive anyway now...

I hear ya, seems like just yesterday that I was getting by with 512MB. This may also be worth a read if you haven't already.

In regards to SCSI: I have messed around with some higher end SCSI drives in the past (namely Maxtor Atlas 10KIVs etc). Most modern 10K models are really nice drives with low access times, but the added cost and complexity of having to run a disk controller card makes them less appealing IMO. Since most are PCI-based, the 130MB/s bandwidth of the PCI-bus also poses a limitation. Take a look at some high end 7200RPM SATA drives, or the WD Raptor. Once you factor in the cost of the scsi controller, the raptor may actually be a better buy. You could even keep your existing drive as a storage drive to keep the main drive from filling up.

How much free space do you have on that drive btw?
    edited May 2006
    Your maxtor is okay, I doubt you see any differences with the SCSI U320 HDD.
    There must be something else.

Have you tested your memory ?
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Turn the Cool'n Quiet off might help.

If there is no obvious HW problem, then I am saying what most people hear - Reinstall OS. :banghead:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429&highlight=patch
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    How many programs are running in the background? what type of programs are opening on bootup?
    edited May 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Take a look at some high end 7200RPM SATA drives, or the WD Raptor. Once you factor in the cost of the scsi controller, the raptor may actually be a better buy.

Problem is this is a High end SATA drive. The Raptors I was looking at are interesting, but they are far too small. The 36G version costs the same price as a 250GB drive and the larger one is just massively overpriced.
    lemonlime wrote:
    How much free space do you have on that drive btw?

~60GB.
    Esso wrote:
    Have you tested your memory ?
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

With Memtest86+ a little while ago.
    Esso wrote:
    Turn the Cool'n Quiet off might help.

It's never been turned on.
    Esso wrote:
    If there is no obvious HW problem, then I am saying what most people hear - Reinstall OS. :banghead:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429&highlight=patch

Reinstalling the OS would be pointless as it's a relatively fresh install as/is (and technically what you suggest would be an infinite loop anyway. I install all my programs but then need to reinstall windows due to installing all my programs, so then I reinstall windows to reload on my software on to then have to reinstall Windows due to installing all my software, repeat ad infinitum). Also I applied that patch and did the timer flag quite some time ago as lots of games were unplayable before hand.
    How many programs are running in the background? what type of programs are opening on bootup?

Only Daemon Tools and VNC.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Have you noticed a difference in system speed during hard drive reads and rights and times when the system is not accessing the drive. Yeah, I realize that if you do much of anything, you are probably accessing the HDD, but still, maybe you've got a hard drive cable going bad. Sounds weird, but it might just be the problem.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Enverex,

Run cpu-z and post an image on all tabs. After you have loaded cpu-z, run a tool called A64 tweaker and post that image as well. I have a feeling it might be some settings on your mainboard as Asus have weird settings at default. Lemme see those images and i can tell if i am right or wrong.
    edited May 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Have you noticed a difference in system speed during hard drive reads and rights and times when the system is not accessing the drive. Yeah, I realize that if you do much of anything, you are probably accessing the HDD

The system bogs down considerably when doing any HD work, I thought I posted something about this a while back but I must be imagining things. HDTach only reported 4% processor usage, but the system normally seems to go bleh.
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Enverex,

Run cpu-z and post an image on all tabs. After you have loaded cpu-z, run a tool called A64 tweaker and post that image as well. I have a feeling it might be some settings on your mainboard as Asus have weird settings at default. Lemme see those images and i can tell if i am right or wrong.

Doing it now.
    edited May 2006
    Aaand the results are in...
    1.PNG 20.6K
    2.PNG 13.7K
    3.PNG 12.5K
    edited May 2006
    Part 2
    edited May 2006
    I was wrong and right...see the command rate at 2T option. Change that to 1T in the bios. Note that a lot of those asusboards CAN have issues with 1T, but at that speed, it should work. It won't make your pc flying, but it should help a little. Is there several SATA ports on that board? One Nvidia and one Silicon?
    edited May 2006
    I'm not sure if my RAM can handle the 1T option. Yes, there are 4 ports, but they are all nVidia SATA ports.
    edited May 2006
    Any DDR400 ram can handle 1T with an NF4 board.
    edited May 2006
    I can't remember if the original stick of 512 I had in there was 333 or not, so it may already be overclocked to reach 400 in the first place...
    edited May 2006
    T2 on the left, T1 on the right. Pretty much within the margin of error to be honest. Doesn't feel any different either.
    t1.png 21.5K
    edited May 2006
    I found this thread at XS with alot of HDD tests,
    Anyone else having poor HDD performance with NF4 + Maxtor?

Some folks are using two WD SATA-150 rapors in raid ~190 MB/s.
    Oboy wouldn't I like to have the 150 GB, SATA-300 Raptor-X hard disk drive.

I know I will not be able to use it all, but it is not the having, it's the getting !
    edited May 2006
    Well, I decided to spend a little cash and get a few upgrades.

First being the two 250GB SATA2 Hitachi drives which I intend to RAID (didn't realise how cheap drives were now). Not touching the Raptors, that's pure extortion, the 150GB one costs nearly £300. These Hitachis cost £61 each.
    Also bought another 1GB of RAM. Should be arriving Thursday or hopefully if I'm lucky, tomorrow.
    edited May 2006
    Does anyone know the recommended stiping for an nForce4 Ultra's onboard SATA RAID controler for 'general usage'? Also, I noticed people talking about cluster sizes as well as striping. Is that the cluster size that is set when formatting or another cluster size that it set by the array? There is also an "Optimal" setting in the striping sizes, is that recommended to use?
    edited May 2006
    Hmm, ok, this sucks. Upgrading to 2GB of RAM has DECREASED performance as the motherboard has switched back to 333mhz instead of 400. Apparently you can't have 2GB dual channel AND 400, it's one or the other. That's more than a little lame.
    edited May 2006
    That's your boards fault i'm afraid. Unless you can clock it up with fsb/htt, you are stuck at DDR333 with 4 sticks of ram. The newer Asus does this also, but they are generally very easy to clock up again.
    edited May 2006
    Heh, I had it set to manual default timings @ 400Mhz (except for the T1 CMD rate) before I put the RAM in. I put the RAM in and the machine wouldn't even post anymore, so it doesn't look like it's going to be easy to get it back up to 400 without making the timings utterly crap.

On the plus side, a before and after picture. Old drive VS. new RAID array. Settled on 64k stripe, 32k clusters after benching almost all the options. 16/8 worked out well too but had increased CPU usage and was a little less fluid.