Seagate 300Gb runs HOT

redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
edited May 2006 in Hardware
this puppy seems to throw out some heat. Or am I just imagining it?
anyone else have a 330 and does it run real hot?
I'm mounting in an ARIA case and it really makes it a hotbox.

no overclock, asus A7nx8 VM with Athon xp-m 2400. 1G kingston ddr 400,radeon 9600, wintv 350, airlink 530,

Box temp goes to 53 C.

whew?

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited May 2006
    I have a 400 gb seagate and it does not seem to run very hot normal.

how hot does it run without the HD operating

poor case cooling?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    When you say "box temperature", are you perhaps referring to the CPU temperature, or are you referring to what we often call the "system temperature." We'll certainly assist you, it's just hard to imagine how a hard drive, any hard drive, could heat up a computer case to 53*C. When did you first start monitoring temperatures? When did the temperature shoot up that high?

just need some more details, please
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited May 2006
    I like the adjudicator....
    at one point the drive failed becasue it was laying flat on the table without a fan on it. I set it up verticle on the edges and put a fan on it and it seemed happier.
    I'm putting things in an Antec Aria case. there is space on ech side as it hangs in the mounting slot. The other cards are an radeon 9600 and a win TV 350 PVR, which I notice is also throwing out some heat.
    I've got a trusty radio shack indoor/outdoor digital thermometer. I ususally have the outdoor probe on the HSU to read it's temp. ( yeah I know LOW tek, but it works) right now every hting seems to be working except the PVR board. it tunes the cable channels but doesn't throw a picture on the window. But thant's a different topic,, ( I know, deicist,... convergence).
    I'll take a coupel photos if y'all think it would be helpful..