Help: Solid Mobo for Non-OC

a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
edited May 2006 in Hardware
I'm going to be building an A64 system soon. Nothing crazy . . . Probably a 2GHz or 2.2GHz and 1GB of DDR RAM. I do not need the board to OC. I don't care about having two video cards. I only want a very solid and very stable motherboard. AGP or PCI-Express doesn't matter a whole lot, but I'm guessing PCI-E is more future-proof so PCI-E is preferable.

Please recommend a board (other than EPoX) that is:
1) Inexpensive ($100 range is good)
2) Stable Stable Stable.
3) Stable Stable Stable.
4) Inexpensive and Stable.

I know those criteria limit my options :D

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I have built several on these and not a one ever gave me trouble. They are a good price and ver very solid, OC or not.

MSI K8N Neo4-F
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    just try to stay away from shuttle...i built like 2 pcs with them, they work....but its never been 100% awesomeness
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    ASUS makes solid boards... I have had one issue with 1 of my ASUS Boards.... & they had A+ service taking care of it
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    I'm using DFI Ultra-D and hasn't overclocked yet.
    Rock solid, but there might be one reason for that.
    Taking care of ESD and doing the right thing.

Both Asus, DFI or MSI motherboard will be fine.
    Sometimes you are unlucky, receiving one faulty motherboard or memory.
    But if you are careful, you can avoid a lot of trouble.

Tip,
    Choose one motherboard and memory that most people are using, and take note what bios version they are running.
    And if you in the future like to overclock, make sure you have the right stuff.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    Good recommendations so far. For a non-OC board, I'd agree with Sledge on his ASUS recommendation. I have been very pleased with their track record as far as reliability is concerned. They are no slouches either when it comes to overclocking. If you stick with a NF4 based ASUS board, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. The DFI boards are fantastic and quite reliable too (the NF4 series) but you may have some initial hurdles to overcome. It tends to be a little finiky at times, but once you have it setup its golden. When you do decide to start OC'ing, the DFI is king of the hill and there is a LOT to tweak.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    For non-OC boards, I'd go MSI. In my opinion, they seem to be more consistent in quality and reliabilty than Asus. They are very well-made boards. In my book, it's no contest. Asus runs a close second. No opinion on DFI - never used one.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited May 2006
    I've never had an ASUS, but I have had an MSI--Intel p4 board. Been O/C'd for years and has been solid.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2006
    Asus

Ive never had an issue with any of there products that wasn't caused by a $15 psu.

Msi on the other hand ... don't get me started about the K8N neo2 platinum.