Need a new PSU... no more Antecs! (?)

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Last night I was on the computer minding my own business, when I smelled something: Burning plastic! I glanced at the the CPU temp sensors and everything looked fine. Furthermore the system was acting perfectly normal.

I opened up the case to take a closer look, and I found the control box for the CCRTs melted open with a cap burning! I pulled it out of the computer, and things went on like normal for the remainder of the night.

Today I got my new SATA 300 GB HDD, and connected it to the system: BANG! As soon as I hit the power button the hard drive put on a very nice light show with smoke effects. I shut off the PSU using the rear switch, I found the control board of the HDD smoking.... great.

I figured the HDD was DOA to begin with, so I put it back in the box and prepared to get it RMAed. In the meantime I put the remainder of the computer back together and powered on the PSU: BANG BANG SNAP! Bright white sparks flew around the inside of the PSU and there was a ton of smoke and an awful burning electronics smell... the PSU was now toasted.

Anyways, now I need a new PSU. It WAS an Antec True 430 which was about 5 years old, but given everything that happened I have a feeling the PSU just overloaded and proceeded to surge the system, killing the weaker components and finally blowing itself out (it happened to me about 5 years ago while using a cheap generic supply, it also killed the HDD in the same manner). I have a feeling it was being overloaded, and rather than just refusing to boot or blowing a fuse, it blew out entirely, and took my new HDD to hell along with it.

Since the PSU's death was less than graceful, and may have even killed off more than a couple hard drives (I have yet to check the remainder of the system using a spare PSU) I am looking at other quality brands.

I've heard lots and lots of great things about PCP&C, but those supplies are way, way out of my budget: I'm looking to spend around $100, preferably less. There's an Antec 540 Truepower on sale now at the Egg for $75, but I'm really hesitant to get another one.

Any ideas for a replacement? I'll be ordering one tomorrow night.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Holy DOUBLE POST BATMAN!

Had to say it, and to make this post worthy.... my TTGI has been going strong for what may very well be 4 or 5 years, at the very least 3.
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited May 2006
    My latest is a Seasonic 600w and i love it. Very stable, cool, and quiet. However it runs ~$150 (but has a 3-year warranty). http://svc.com/p6zo6f3blr.html
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I use Aspire alot along with Antec. But I use Aspire In 90% of my SLI systems I have 4 of these PSU's, and they run like a champs....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148008

As a computer builder I can vouch for this bad boy on a FX-57 with Dual 7900GT's GPU's 2 250GB SATA Hard Drives and 2 gigs ram.. and of course some great lighting and 2 DVD RW's.. and a sound card...

Got to love great products for low cost.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Sorry to hear about your lost components.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    For sub $100, you can't expect much more than what just hapened to you and no offence to Sledge, but those Aspires are just awful. I wouldn't trust those to keep your expensive hardware alive for a longer period. At least if it is the same units as we have here where i live. The amounts of rma's from those Aspires are insane here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151024
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104015
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=316504
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=316505

I have tried all of those (still using 3 of them) and those gave me a piece of mind at least.
  • edited May 2006
    Just booted the machine up using a PSU I borrowed from Tony. Seems like everything else fared ok. Which is good news cause there's no way I'd be able to pay to replace it.

Thats a real nice PSU Sledge. I'll put that on the top of my list unless anyone has any other suggestions.
  • edited May 2006
    ...And then Mack posted. :D

That Seasonic looks great, but I've never heard of that brand before so I'll do some reading first. It's also within my price range (although right on the upper edge).

Are OCZ supplies really that good? I've heard some bad stories about them in the past.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    OCZ supplies isn't worse than anything else in the same pricerange. I don't have access to any numbers, but i do work for a pretty big online hardware store as well where we carry 20-odd more supplies. Let me just say that the Antec and Aspire pile of rma's is a lot higher than the OCZ or Seasonic for that matter. My best advice is if your limit is $120 now, save up a few weeks and get the unit that you really want.
  • edited May 2006
    I definately wouldnt get the Aspire or the OCZ. Aspire is very low end and the OCZ is at best middle of the road(the mod version is no good but the power version is better).

I just bought a Silverstone (very good) but the Seasonic is good too. Another PS thats popular is Enermax.

I dont do SLI but I am Watercooled and OCd. The Silverstone 400 was on sale for $49 and I would put it against anything under 500 watts. Silverstone is a class act. But if I was to go SLI crazy I would definately go Seasonic.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    With all these recommendations for Seasonic, I'll have to give them an extra look.

I took care of the double post. ;)
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    Yikes, sorry to hear about that SMJ. I had my TruePower 430 go belly up on my too last year. Luckily the +5V rail dropped down to 4V before anything serious happened.

You mentioned PCP&C earlier, and I absolutely love mine. It is without a doubt the best PSU I've ever owned. I have the 510 express. It is expensive, but it is an investment. You won't need to buy a new PSU for quite a long time with one of these.

I know a couple of people with the OCZ Powerstream 520 as well, and they are very happy with them. Good single +12V rail too.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    It wasn't too long ago that everyone swore by Antec power supplies, but their reputation has been going downhill recently. I have an Antec power supply running IC_11 just fine (but with a low +12v), but I've had another one die on me (albeit with less fireworks).

What sucks about power supplies is that no matter what the brand's reputation, you could still get a lemon.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I've actually had a power supply go out on me recently, and it was an Antec. Actually, two in a row. I'm betting, though, that it was a power problem coming into the supply that caused the issue. Still, I'm waiting on the mercy of Antec's RMA department.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2006
    edited May 2006
    I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but since everyone is suggesting PSUs right now, I thought I'd ask:

what's a good 400W+ PSU that's quiet? Are there quiet 500W PSUs for high performance/SLI systems?

I have a really nice quiet Zalman in my livingroom computer, but all it needed was a 300 watter.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited May 2006
    100% satisfyed with my Enermax 535 if its any help :)
  • edited May 2006
    Remember when a $30, 300W PSU was more than enough?

Yeah. Those were the days.

Like RAM, it seems like it's become harder and harder to find good, reliable working components.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    That is a good deal!

Otherwise I would include one of these FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A, 2.0 version, 2 SATA, PCI Express, 500W .
  • rykoryko new york
    edited May 2006
    whatever psu you choose, i would also get a powerline conditioner if you already don't have a UPS with that feature. dirty electricity can take out a psu no matter how good it is!
  • edited May 2006
    Already have a pretty high end UPS, so that shouldn't be an issue.
  • edited May 2006
    I got the SeaSonic S12-500 500W yesterday and WOW! All the voltages are rock steady now. I used to think it was the mobo sensors that were faulty, but I guess it was my PSU flaking out the whole time.

If I had the proper equipment I'd publish a review, but all I can say is that so far this new PSU is easily worth the money!
    edited May 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    I got the SeaSonic S12-500 500W yesterday and WOW! All the voltages are rock steady now. I used to think it was the mobo sensors that were faulty, but I guess it was my PSU flaking out the whole time.

If I had the proper equipment I'd publish a review, but all I can say is that so far this new PSU is easily worth the money!
    How loud is it?
  • edited May 2006
    It's the quietest thing in my computer. I have to put my ear inside of a foot of it to hear it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Wait.. The PSU has a FOOT? That's so WEIRD! And you can put your EAR inside of this FOOT? omg... pics!
  • edited May 2006
    You're just trying too hard.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Actually I didn't try at all.. It just CAME to me, like magic! :woowoo: