Buying a Laptop

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I want to buy a laptop but, you know, they're kind of expensive as a plaything/second computer. So I'm going basic.

I want something that will use internet well enough, wireless (anywhere) if possible, wired if necesary. Will have about 50gig give or take a couple gig. Will have decent memory, enough that it won't crash a lot. Will run winXP without crapping itself.

I don't need burners and all that fancy stuff.

I was looking through the dell site as a start and I didn't make much sense out of all of it so I thought, 'short-media FTW!'

Yea. I did think that.

Finally, it can't be ugly and weigh more than like 10odd pounds. Screen size and battery life aren't a problem but the bigger/longer, the better.

Thanks for any thoughts, comments, replies and just general talking.

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=e1405s2&s=dhs

That's a great portable laptop for the prize. A gig of ram as well as a dual core cpu. You should be able to find some coupons to make the deal even better.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    You know I keep being impressed over HP's offerings. I have now ran into about half a dozen people running new HP Laptops from lower end to high end, and they all love them. Now I have also ran into the dell laptop guys and I hear nothing but complaints. Call me a HP fanboy but for the price and product you can't go wrong...

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/compare_category.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks/hp_pavilion&catLevel=1
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    You know I keep being impressed over HP's offerings. I have now ran into about half a dozen people running new HP Laptops from lower end to high end, and they all love them. Now I have also ran into the dell laptop guys and I hear nothing but complaints. Call me a HP fanboy but for the price and product you can't go wrong...

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/compare_category.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks/hp_pavilion&catLevel=1

I had a Compaq laptop that was almost exactly the same as an HP, and I never had a problem with it operationally. Ergonomically, though, it was a POS compared to my eMachines. But I'm impressed with HP's current lineup of high-end stuff in both 15.4" and 17".
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I would like to Dub the Pavilion Line at a higher scale than the Compaq Pasario line. In know Costco has HP Laptops on display, same with staples. But there are also other brands that are just as good if not better, but each line is Unique in its own way. You just need to pin down what you want to use it for than hunt down that Laptop that will perform those tasks for you.

I got the DV8000t from HP, may main purpose of purchase was for multimedia, 3D rendering and Photo editing on the go, also a must for me was gaming and it does everything I want and more.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Another HP lover here, as I type this from my Presario v2000 :buck:

Total System Price: ~$750 from hpshopping.com

AMD Turon ML-32
    256Megs + 512MB stick from Newegg (only $35!)
    X200 w/prod. ports
    Extended battery - ~5.75 hours with wireless on, 6.25 with it off

Perfect for what I needed it for. Only qualm is that it isn't the lightest, but I can trade that off for the lower price tag and extended battery life, lasts me all day though classes and work.

Biggest perk? One year standard warranty! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    my gf's dad has an HP, and he isn't the best person for computer literacy...but knowing that...and knowing that its served him with the utmost stability for over a year now, i can't say one bad thing about it...but i <3 dell
  • edited May 2006
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=e1405s2&s=dhs

That's a great portable laptop for the prize. A gig of ram as well as a dual core cpu. You should be able to find some coupons to make the deal even better.

I'm definatly going to consider this. I like dell's stuff enough to get the basics from them. I'd end up buying better hardware for it eventually (because the stuff dell puts in likes to break).

I'll look through the HP stuff later when I have free time.

thanks for the replies!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    (because the stuff dell puts in likes to break)
    Well, that would go for all of the mass production PC brands, wouldn't it? If you were referring to laptops, I've used several brands, and the only one that gave me problems was my (employer's) current Gateway. Tally so far: two motherboards (on the third one now), dead battery, CD burner "burning" quit, heatsink screams with only moderate CPU usage, hard drive quickly overheats, poor quality LCD panel (really bad colors). Stay away from Gateway.

I have never used an HP laptop. Sounds interesting. I've used two different models of Dell Laptops and liked them both very much.