Urgent issue w/ Dell Inspiron 8200

SinnedSinned DC
edited May 2006 in Hardware
nice forum ya gots here!!

Hoping to get some help w/ my Dell laptop. She keeps flickering back and forth between the AC power and the battery when the ac is plugged in. This either crashes the PC with a voltage error or drains the hell outta the batteries.

Running on just batteries she works fine. Also tried same model ac plug from a different Dell and she does the same thing (flickers). Also tried different plugs in the house, same thing happens. Started a few months back and was occasionally happening, now it's non-stop

Any ideas? Really can't afford to pay for a diagnostic fee right now.. was hoping someone here has had the similar problem

-Sinned

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    i had the exact same problem on a dell laptop and it was the actual wire from the power brick to the laptop - it was cracked and so I had to twist it into a weird shape and tape it up tight and it has worked fine ever since.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    It would appear that the internal switch that selects AC/DC is failing. I can't think of anything else. Given the fact that you've tried another AC power 'brick' with it, I think you ruled that out. Maybe it's just the connector is loose where the AC adaptor plugs in.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I'm leaning towards the AC port being bad. Probably a bad solder and depending on the angle of the cord coming in, it puts the correct pressure to get a connection.

1) Try putting something under the plug when it's plugged in. That will put downward pressure on the port.

2) If that doesn't work, put something heavy (not too heavy... a 150 page book) on top of the plug to put downward pressure on the plug. This will put upward pressure on the AC port...

3) Report back and we can take it another step....
  • SinnedSinned DC
    edited May 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    I'm leaning towards the AC port being bad. Probably a bad solder and depending on the angle of the cord coming in, it puts the correct pressure to get a connection.

1) Try putting something under the plug when it's plugged in. That will put downward pressure on the port.

2) If that doesn't work, put something heavy (not too heavy... a 150 page book) on top of the plug to put downward pressure on the plug. This will put upward pressure on the AC port...

3) Report back and we can take it another step....

Sounds good. trying it now
  • SinnedSinned DC
    edited May 2006
    Sinned wrote:
    Sounds good. trying it now

Ok.. book under the plug seems to work, book on top of the plug doesn't.

So I'm guessing the plug or pins are loose? Any suggestions on fix?

Thanks for the help so far!
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    If you out of warranty,then you might be able to fix it yourself.

I have found this manual, see if it helps,
    http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8200/en/
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I'd say that either the AC port is cracked, the pins are bent, or the AC port wasn't soldered correctly and are now shorting...

Really... the best solution would be to look at the AC port and determine if the pins look bent . Other than that... you'll need to take everything a part to look at the main board to determine if the AC port is cracked or just needs to be soldered...

-Q