PCI-E Sync setting in bios?

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I just got a socket 939 board and processor and noticed that there is some setting in the bios regarding syncing the pci-e bus for overclocking and i was just wondering what this means. Would this cause (or prevent) me to frying my pci-e card if i start overclocking the FSB or something?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Good question. That is so you can lock the PCI-e frequency so that when overclocking the CPU and/or memory, you aren't raising the PCI-e frequency as well. Your next question probably is what is the default PCI-e bus/port frequency? I don't know.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    I have found this information on the Internet.

PCI Express Bus

PCI-e lanes runs at 2.5Ghz.
    PCI runs at 33, 66, 100 and 133 Mhz.

Each lane of PCI-E offers a raw data rate of 2.5Gbps in each direction (5Gbps total).
    The "unencoded" data rate (after removing the data clock that is embedded in each pair of signals using an 8b/10b clock-encoding scheme) or actual throughput is 4Gbps aka 500MB/s in each direction.

Nvidia set to overclock the PCIe bus.

Edit, Overclocking settings.
    http://forums.rojakpot.com//showthread.php?t=11386
    http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=188235
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Caxus, Systems 1, 3, and 4 in my signature are all overclocked nearly 1000MHz each. On each of those machines, I just set the PCI-e frequency to "auto". There has never been a video-induced limitation to the overclocking on those machines.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    Leo is correct, most enthusiast mainboards automatically 'lock' the PCI-E frequency to prevent it from increasing as you increase the reference clock frequency above 200MHz. Similar behavior occurs with *most* performance AGP based systems as well.

What mainboard do you have? If there is an option to lock the PCI-E frequency, I would enable that to be sure :)