Strange computer behavior after upgrade. Need advice?

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Oldddddddddddddd

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Wow,

Sounds like a day of no fun to me. Have you tried re-flashing the card? also can you post some screenshots of the DXdiag "run->dxdiag" also let use know the rest of the specs on your system...
  • rykoryko new york
    edited May 2006
    well, i think you have learned why it was such a "good" deal on ebay....

this is the chance you take when buying from unkown sources.

like sledge said, try reflashing it back to original BIOS. or you can also try contacting the seller.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    It still randomly hangs though.
    That's not drivers or BIOS. It's overheating.
    edited May 2006
    Then my assessment may have been wrong. The freezing symptom you described is usually due to overheating if it happens in the middle of a game. But your temperatures seem good and your case ventialtion and components cooling seem good also.
    edited May 2006
    I don't know what temperature that card should running at idle. Video card's graphics processing units (GPU) are designed run at their full capabilities at temperatures that woud shut down a CPU. In other words, they run "hot." What you could do to lower the temperature of the GPU is to remove it's heatsink, then remove the stock thermal interface paste (or pad) and apply a thin layer of premium thermal paste such as Arctic Silver 5. On all my CPUs, GPUs, and northbridges, regardless of the manufacturer, I always remove the low quality factory thermal interface material and apply premium paste. If you remove it, use denatured alcohol, or better yet acetone, to throughly clean the chip.

No, you can't increase the fan speed. Stock speed is full speed. According to your case ventilation graphics above, your intake fan is in the upper part of the case. That is not a good case design. It appears there may not be cool air reaching the video card. You could experiment by putting a fan underneath the video card, but it might not accomplish much if all it does is blow warm air on it.

You should try running your computer without the side panel. If the video no longer freezes, you will know the problem was due to overheating.

Well designed cases draw cool air in at the bottom front, with warm air exhausting at the top back. That way, cool air is draw over the entire motherboard. In your setup, the cool is perhaps only being drawn across the top, bypassing the video card. Does your case have a fan port in the lower front? If it does, simply get a fan and mount it there.
    edited May 2006
    If you want to talk cooling, just talk us veteran overclockers. Overclocking demands good cooling. Many of us have learned by years of trial and error.

Concerning your case. From what you described, it does sound like that is a port for a fan. Give it a try. But before that, could you run the computer without the case side? It would be nice if we coule rule out other factors for the freezing.
  • edited May 2006
    You do have very little RAM for a game like Quake 4. Does the hard drive "chug" a lot when the fps slows to a crawl?

What brand/model PSU do you have?
This discussion has been closed.