Windows\System32\Config\System - Recovery Console then Freeze!

edited May 2006 in Hardware
ok I try to boot my computer and I get the file missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system, so I boot up useing the windows cd and go into the recovery console. it ask me to choose a windows file "1. C:\Windows" so I choose 1 and my computer freezes. it started while I was useing the system it froze and that is when i got those errors. could something be physically wrong with the drive or other components????

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Just to eliminate possible hardware problems, try running the test from your hard drive manufacturer. Run a pass or two of Memtest-86 as well. :)
  • edited May 2006
    ok, well i put the hard drive in another computer and it still would freeze when i tryed to repair or format it, it had been in a computer that was struck by lighting. so now i have bought another hard drive, thanks for the support
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    it had been in a computer that was struck by lighting
    Not a good thing. :eek:

;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Hikaru1332 wrote:
    ...it had been in a computer that was struck by lighting. so now i have bought another hard drive...
    You might want to invest in a quality surge protector as well. :eek2:

Good luck with the new drive. :)
  • laxlax
    edited May 2006
    Hi it's lax. I don't really know if i'm doing this right. I need help with a virus called look2me. and/or worm/vb.cc. I'm new at this so please bear with me. I'm eager to learn how to figure these things out. I would greatly appreciate any helpful tips.
  • edited May 2006
    lax wrote:
    Hi it's lax. I don't really know if i'm doing this right. I need help with a virus called look2me. and/or worm/vb.cc. I'm new at this so please bear with me. I'm eager to learn how to figure these things out. I would greatly appreciate any helpful tips.
    Please post in the Spyware/Virus/Trojan Help section. You can start by following the sticky threads and using the free online scans and tral software to start eliminating this.

Hikaru1332 wrote:
    ok I try to boot my computer and I get the file missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system, so I boot up useing the windows cd and go into the recovery console. it ask me to choose a windows file "1. C:\Windows" so I choose 1 and my computer freezes. it started while I was useing the system it froze and that is when i got those errors. could something be physically wrong with the drive or other components????

Please do tell more. :cool2: Was this physically struck by lightning by being outside, or was it through the power lines? I hope no one was hurt.