Options

Samsung and Microsoft will release HDDs?

edited May 2006 in Hardware

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Looks old as they still mention Vista being out this year, heh. I can see how it would be useful but not entirely. It won't get rid of booting as the only way to stop that would be to use RAM that isn't volatile, HDs aren't volatile anyway. Sure, it would speed up the what... 5 second bootup? Seems kinda pointless.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Microsoft is really pushing for dual storage media hard drives. They want HDs to have large flash memory stores to augment transfer times for the OS to boot from. They believe that the entire OS would be stored on flash and all long term stored data would be on the typical platter. So new HDs would have platters, flash memory, and cache... That would allow Vista to boot in under 15 seconds.
  • edited May 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Looks old as they still mention Vista being out this year, heh. I can see how it would be useful but not entirely. It won't get rid of booting as the only way to stop that would be to use RAM that isn't volatile, HDs aren't volatile anyway. Sure, it would speed up the what... 5 second bootup? Seems kinda pointless.
    its funny when people say that speeding up the boot sequence a few seconds is no big deal. I probably have to sit through 100 boot sequences a week and it drives me crazy. The faster it boots the better , to me.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Boot up times aren't that important to me, as I rarely shut down my computers, usually only when testing BIOS settings or installing new software/updates. If the entire OS could reside on the flash component of a hybrid drive, now that would be really get my interest!
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    i0esign wrote:
    its funny when people say that speeding up the boot sequence a few seconds is no big deal. I probably have to sit through 100 boot sequences a week and it drives me crazy. The faster it boots the better , to me.

Boot time is about 2 seconds for me as I never shut my PC down, I just use Suspend to Ram.
  • edited May 2006
    I build 20 comps a week, and on top of that I format mine almost weekly(because of constantly modding) i am so sick of "restart".

Ur so lucky, mabye one day I will figure a easier way to do what I do..
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Boot time is about 2 seconds for me as I never shut my PC down, I just use Suspend to Ram.

But nearly 90% of computer users probably don't. I like the quick bootups times. It'll blossom into the entire operating system running from the flash area soon enough. You have to start somewhere.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2006
    Cyclonite wrote:
    But nearly 90% of computer users probably don't.

Thats a shame as 90 percent of the probs you encounter that are hardware related happen at power up or power down.

Just keeping them running 24/7 (if your electricity is clean) is a good maintenance procedure actually.

Tex