IC7 down but not out

CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
edited May 2006 in Folding@Home
Ok, woke up this morning, didn't write a blues number!
But found IC7 dead.

I have three pcs running chez crypto and between them I eventually determined that the PSU had gone in IC7.

Weird symptoms.

Power LED on MB reads OK. CD ROM drive loads a new CD but can't mount it?

No beeps from the PC on startup.

HEY, WHERE IS EMERGENCY HARDWARE FORUM THINGY WHEN YOU WANT IT?

Eventually, with the guts of three PCs draped across my study worktop, I diagnosed IC7's PSU as suspect. Not entirely dead as it could still drive a cd ROM and some fans. Really weird.

The worrying thing is that in umpteen years of building pcs ( that's how I came on Apushardware for Paul's KT7 FAQ, older members will understand) I have only had two PSUs fail. They have both been Antec units! The cheapo jobs are still running????

Anyway to get back on topic.
IC7 is now running on a cheapo PSU which I happened to have hanging around. So Prof you might like to update the stats for iC7 and we all might like to ponder the magnificence or otherwise of Antec!

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Thanks for the update Crypto!!! I'll update the info.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    What were the basic specs.... wattage, manufacturer? Anything else that has been updated?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Paul's KT7 FAQ, older members will understand
    Sure do! BTW, Paul is still active on the web. Do a search (Paul Howland) and you'll find his personal site with pictures of him and his family. He's younger than I thought he was.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited May 2006
    Q
    new PSU is by Ever Power model CWT-250ATX.

Been running for a while now and seems to be OK.

I've also added a quiter CPU fan for my own convenience!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    I was out of town when this thread began, sorry I missed it.

Is everything still running fine, Crypto? I can send you a replacement PSU if you need one - just say the word. :)
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited May 2006
    Hi Prof,

I've been out of town this weekend too. Mrs. Crypto took me to a ballroom dancing weekend hoping I would learn to dance. I've manged to confirm that I have two left feet and we might have had more fun if I'd taken her to a computer convention or something!

Anyway, the generic PSU that's now in SM7 is holding up OK. In that same week I lost another decent PSU in brightonpixie's PC, that was a Nexus 350W super quiet or something. just over two years old and out of warranty.

I guess I'd better check out some form of mains surge suppression or something. Normally my mains incomer is rock solid.

The other thing I noticed was that the CPU frequency had defaulted to 100MHz instead of 133. Guess I'd better find a new CMOS battery as well.

Cheers

Crypto.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Good to hear that she's hanging in there. Let us know if anything changes and you need parts or whatnot. :)