Options

Need a Cheap Radiator?

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I am putting a CHEAP high performance water cooled comp and thought some of us "financially challenged" might find this useful.

Rads for comps can be expensive, and car heater cores work well but which ones to use. This ought to help, just enter a car and they show picts.

http://webbase.transpro.com/hotcat/

My favorite so far is the 90 Ford E150 front,super cool(9 3/4" X 6" x 2" w/5/8" inout)

At AutoZone.com they are $22 new. But at a junk yard mabye $5-10.

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Good idea!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    We wouldn't want those Legos on that snazzy case melting now, would we!

Great idea. Although I have no interest in water cooling, I enjoy the home engineering aspect of it...watching others employ it, I should say. I also like garage sales and junk yards. Again, great idea.
  • edited May 2006
    LOL, poor Legos are in pieces all over the desk. I am putting together a Grown-up comp now.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Thanks for the link to the heater core site, Mark.

Even a new heater core seems to be a bargain.
  • edited May 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Thanks for the link to the heater core site, Mark.

Even a new heater core seems to be a bargain.
    No prob. I think my favorite part is you get to see the heater core so its easier to pick out one that will fit. I saw one that was 21" X 3 " that would be cool to mount under the desk.
    They seem to be really cheap considering most are brass and copper.
    edited May 2006
    i0esign wrote:
    No prob. I think my favorite part is you get to see the heater core so its easier to pick out one that will fit. I saw one that was 21" X 3 " that would be cool to mount under the desk.
    They seem to be really cheap considering most are brass and copper.
    Agreed! Add three or four quiet 80mm fans (although there'd be room for seven!), and it could be pretty nice.
    398006.jpg
  • edited May 2006
    I cant believe you found it...lol I almost bought it just to have..
    edited May 2006
    i0esign wrote:
    I cant believe you found it...lol I almost bought it just to have..
    I need to stop checking SM at work. Now I can't stop thinking about how I'd integrate that into my system!

I could hang it on hooks from under my desk, or better yet, something that could dampen vibration. I could even make a long plexi reservoir to hang under the radiator, and submerge the pump in it. How about a fan speed controller built into the assembly? And... I should get back to work ;D
  • rykoryko new york
    edited May 2006
    awesome link! i have always wanted pics of heater cores for this exact purpose! hate looking in parts manuals...

anyone find a nice small 4.5" x 4.5" one yet? i want to grab something that could fit inside the front of my lian-li pc-7. something that would fit a single 120mm fan nicely or maybe a 140mm. so like 5" by 5" max. and the barbs need to be angled horizontally. vertical isn't going to cut it.

2000 ford contour is pretty close...but a little big.

7 3/4 x 6 1/8 x 2; 3/4 barbs
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    That would be a pretty limited surface area for heat dissipation. I don't think that would accomplish much, would it?
  • edited May 2006
    the nice thing about heater cores is they are usually 2" thick and dual row, they dissapate heat better than thinner cores. Remember they have to heat your whole car.
  • edited May 2006
    ryko wrote:
    awesome link! i have always wanted pics of heater cores for this exact purpose! hate looking in parts manuals...

anyone find a nice small 4.5" x 4.5" one yet? i want to grab something that could fit inside the front of my lian-li pc-7. something that would fit a single 120mm fan nicely or maybe a 140mm. so like 5" by 5" max. and the barbs need to be angled horizontally. vertical isn't going to cut it.

2000 ford contour is pretty close...but a little big.

7 3/4 x 6 1/8 x 2; 3/4 barbs

I cant believe how lucky u are:celebrate this is even 1/2" tubes......
    http://webbase.transpro.com/catalog.php?partnum=398272

its a 1990 geo Tracker
  • edited May 2006
    Might as well get something that can fit on/in the case unless you want your computer tied to your desk.
    edited May 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Might as well get something that can fit on/in the case unless you want your computer tied to your desk.
    The one thing I never liked about my Zalman Reserator is what a huge pain it made moving my computer around. It needs quick-disconnects of some kind, and it needs them in a bad way.

If I used a big external radiator, I think I'd incorporate some sort of quick-disconnect piece so that the cooling module could be easily separated from the PC.

I'd also try to make the box (the "cooling module") have everything I need in it, except the actual CPU waterblock (the reservoir, radiator, pump, and fans). That way, if I need to take my computer somewhere, but don't want it watercooled when I get there (LAN), I can swap it back to air cooling quickly.

I have all sorts of crazy plans that I might make a project out of this summer :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2006
    Well if you want WC for lans than lets get a Stacker (with wheels) and put a small frige unit inside with a beer tap on the front..

I bet that would get a thumbs up........
  • edited May 2006
    Sorry i thought this was about cars
  • edited May 2006
    lol
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    ill sell you my thermochill dual 120 for 65 bucks shipped, and i have a brand new oil cooler core thats like 12x5 in for 45$
    edited May 2006
    I found a place where I can get that 21x3x2 heater core for $35 plus shipping. These heater cores are cheap compared to the ones with fancy paint that are marketed for computers :thumbsup: