OC issues with new vid card.

SouthpawSouthpaw Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
edited May 2006 in Hardware
First, I'm glad to be here. This is my first post. I will list my system specs below, then ask my question.

MSI 945P Platinum.
Intel P4 3.0 Prescott.
4x512's DDR2 667 Kingston HyperX PC5400.
EVGA 7900GT.
Soundblaster Audigy 2.
2x80 gig Barracuda's in RAID0.
Thermaltake Bigwater cooling for cpu only.
Enermax 535 watt psu.

Now, the problem:

I had my cpu running at 3.675ghz, while underclocking my ram to 533. I hadn't touched my voltages as I am somewhat new to this and wasn't sure what to do. My FSB was at 245. My ram timings were reset from the original 5-5-5-15, to 4-4-4-12, and worked fine. I had a nice solid system. What was differen't was that I had an X700 ATI card, and an Enermax 460watt psu at that time. I bought the new EVGA 7900GT, installed it, and my computer wouldn't post. At that time, I reset all the overclocking settings back to original, and it booted up and ran fine. When I tried to turn my OC settings back up(a little at a time of course), specifically the FSB to 215 or higher, it wouldn't post. I purchased a new Enerwax 535 that had all the proper connectors for my MB(my older psu didn't. No 24pin or 6pin) and new video card, but the same thing is happening. I had this box running very stable at 3.675, with cpu temps always below 45c, and now, with the new 7900, I'm back at square one. I have the updated drivers for eveything, did a clean install of WindowsXP, have the updated motherboard and bios drivers. I just can't get her back to where it was.

Apoligies for the long winded post, but this is the problem. I feel cheated that I spent good money on a video card, only to lose a significant amount of performance in my cpu. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Southpaw.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I'm not an Intel guy, so I hope someone else may be able to weigh in on this as a possibility:

Does the FSB determine the PCI-Ex bus speed on an Intel CPU, and if so, can it be locked/unlocked?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Set the PCI-E frequency in the BIOS to auto. If that doesn't solve the problem, then set it to default frequency (sorry, I don't know what default is). Have you looked at your voltages while in Windows? Speedfan would be a good choice for software for that. That X1900 is a major power consumer. It might be your system is voltage starved under overclocking with 7900 installed.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited May 2006
    I hope your rails have atleast 18amps to support that vid card. Also, download the latest EVGA 7900GT BIOS update for your part number from here: http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/

Save it to your desktop then extract it to a floppy and boot off it.

7900GT cards are having some serious issues in reguards to OCing. It's because the memory they put on them isn't rated to run well at the voltages they have them set at. I'm having to get 2 new cards cross shipped this week, and I've already RMA'd one prior to that. If these go bad I'm going to call EVGA and request signature series cards, even if it costs me an extra $70 each.