Computer Won't Start After Overclocking

edited May 2006 in Hardware
ok, a few days ago i overclocked my computer. i took the cpu frquency up to 300, took the cpu multiplier down to 8 and set my DDR/CPU ratio so that is was running at normal 400mhz. i upped the cpu voltage from 1.400v to 1.475v, increased chipset and ht voltages by +0.1v each and saved changes and restarted (CPU spread spectrum was off).

That day, my computer was constantly stress tested using prime95 and no instability was detected, even while running prime95 and CS:S simultaneously. The problem occured the following morning when i turned on my computer. at the part where its meant to say 'Detecting IDE Devices', it freezes and restarts. i cannot understand why this is happening when my computer was working perfectly yesterday.

Specs:

Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI (1 month old)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice (1 month old)
Gigabyte 6600GT w/ Heatpipe II tech. (1 month old)
80GB Samsung 7200RPM HDD
200GB Samsung 7200RPM HDD
LG DVD-RAM Drive
Ricoh CD-R/RW
Thermaltake Soprano Case /w 430W PS (Plenty of ventilation)

Help greatly appreciated, kefarto

Comments

• edited May 2006
    what brand is the PSU? what do your temps look like?

can you get into Bios? if so i would try to reset everthing back to normal.

bikerboy
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Set the CMOS jumper to discharge and pull the CMOS battery. Let it sit for half an hour. It will probably let you into the BIOS so you can reset to more conservative settings.
  • edited May 2006
    ok, i've already tried that, my PSU is a thermaltake 430W.
    it works sometimes, but other times it doesnt work and just reboots at the part where its meant to say Detecting IDE Devices. I know when it works that it works properly, i have run hours of stress testing and everything and it all checks out.

any ideas
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Two things you can try to possible rule out causes, or maybe determine the cause:

1. Have a friend with a more powerful PSU? Try 500watt or better quality unit, such as Antec or OCZ. See if your computer will start with that.

2. Can you try a non-PCIe video card? Even though your system would start and run fine before with the current configuration, I'm still thinking it's a power supply problem.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    If you still after Leo's suggestation with the CMOS reset, has problem.
    And you have loaded the default configuration setup, something bad has happened.

Then i it's time to test the hardware, memory and hard disk.
    Maybe you should try to remove one HDD, CD and DVD.
    Remove the floppy as well, if it's installed.

Just in case the PSU isn't up to the work to get it starting.
    Use an multimeter to measure the PSU voltage.

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=14256

If you OC and the PCI bus is not locked then the PCI bus will be overclocked as well.

How much current can the PSU supply on the 12v, 5v and 3.3 voltage.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    Welcome to Short-Media! :cheers:

It does not surprise me too much that you are starting to see some instability at 300MHz reference clock. Many boards begin to act a little wonky at about that point. A failure at 'Detecting IDE Drives' is almost certainly due to high HTT or 'board' instability. What is your 'HTT' or 'LDT' multiplier set to? It should be set to 3x (Sometimes labeled 600MHz) with a 300MHz reference clock.

Just wondering why you are using the 8x CPU multiplier? Since you are running your memory on a divider anyway, I'd stick with the default 9x multiplier.