Final Fantasy XI

NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
edited January 2004 in Gaming
Yeah I think there was a FFXI thread a while back when the beta first came out but I didn't get to see much of it. Seeing as how I am too lazy to find that post and I wanna talk about the game I'm making my own thread.

Anyhoo has anyone actually played a "near final" version of the game yet? A few people were talking about it in school today and it is sounding really swanky. I think someone said that the battle system is turn based. Does anyone know if that is true or not? If so it would be flipping awesome! The person I was talking to said it would still be turn based even if you were alone but your could have up to 6 party members. In which case it would be like any other Final Fantasy game but you only control your character instead of all of them. I'm a big fan of turn based games so I think it would be an awesome system. I also read on the FFXI site that you can have a chain of skills and attacks if you and other party members attack at the same time. I don't really understand how it works but you can pull off some pretty wicked combos according to the site.

Another thing I am wondering about is the chat system. I thought I heard once that there was only preset sentences that you could say to people instead of being able to type. It would make sense since PS2 people don't have a keyboard to type and all but really sucks for people with computers. I mean if I royally kick someone's ass I wanna be able to rub it in how much I pwned them! "ph34r m3 1337|\|35$ biaotch!" Sure it wouldn't exactly be role playing but it'd be fun :-).

How does the job system work anyhoo? I've never played FF Tactics so I am not familiar with it. From what I was reading on the website it sounds pretty cool. I guess you can pick a main job and then choose a secondary job later. That's great for me since I typically prefer being a mage in RPGs. I figure if I get the game, which is very likely, I'll start out as a black mage and then make a white mage my second job. That way I have all the bad ass destructive magic yet can be a team player with my healing spells. One of my favorite things in FF games is managing my healing characters. They usually have low hp so it is fun to try and get them in there to heal and keep em alive. Plus it is also a challenge just keeping other party members going. Come to think of it I wouldn't mind being an all our white mage. Keeping all the different types of shields and spells up might be fun.

What is up with the world ticket system anyhoo? On the site it says you have to give a friend a world ticket so that they can be in the same world as you. You just can't join the same world/server as your friend without all the hassel of finding some dumb ticket? Sounds kinda wierd to me.

Well I guess that is all I can think of talking about for now. Such a good game and so little brain capacity to take it all in :doh:

Norge

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2003
    if combat is turn based, what happens if one person walks away from the keyboard, and isn't there during combat... everyone gets to wait? the group has to kick him out? that seems like a wierd system. EQ2 all the way
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited October 2003
    I am not sure about that. I was kinda wondering the same thing. My guess is that the turn based combat in FFXI will be like the combat in FFVII where there is a timer for each character. That way if a character just sits there it will be their own problem if they die and the other party members can just keep fighting.

Norge
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    The benchmark looks highly gay, but the into thing afterwards looks alright...

But then I see the ominous words........ Online..........

Online only = Pay
    Pay = Pay Monthly
    Pay Monthly = No

NS
    edited October 2003
    Yeah the benchmark does look very, very gay but I think that is just because they have all those little teddy bear looking things dancing around like faries. Other screenshots and videos make it look a lot better.

Yeah the whole pay per month thing does suck but for some games it is worth it. I am hoping they have a 7-day free trial soon after release so I can give it a whirl before buying it. I hate to spend another $10 a month on a game but it's so hard to resist with a Final Fantasy title.

Norge
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    OKay, I can be very helpful here because I just got done playing the game for the last three months. And despite being called a "beta" I would call it a "load test" because I encountered not one glitch in the whole game. There were, at any given time, 200-700 people playing the game at once and there were no hiccups. So, with that said:

1: The combat is NOT TURN BASED. It's an active system. You choose, say, "Attack" or "Ranged" or "Magic" and then you will keep attacking if you have autoattack on or what have you. If you have party members, and you walk away from the keyboard, 1 of 2 things will happen: 1: You'll just keep attacking if you have auto attack on, or 2: the battle will continue along without you and you run a good risk of getting jacked up. (Option 2 usually brings some miffed party members)

The job system rocks. You can be, at any time, any class you want. However, of course you benefit the most from sticking to one class and levelling it. Say you choose white mage. You level your white mage and invest in equipment for it and buy spells for it and get it up to lvl 14. Then you switch to monk. You start off as a level 1 monk and you can't cast any of the spells you had as a whm, use any of the equipment (unless it was usuable by a MNK1 to begin with), etc. So it behooves you to stick with a single job. HOWEVER, there IS a subjob system: At level 18 (this is a hint too) you can talk to a guy in a certain town and get a quest to bring back three items. Once you do this, you can select a sub job. The sub job system is complex, but can make for powerful characters. So, say you levelled your whm to 18 before taking on the subjob quest. The rule is that your subjob can only be half the level of your main job. So, you choose black mage as your subjob. You will be an 18mbk/1blm .. A level 1 black mage can't do a whole lot except cast stone, so.... You need to level your blm. ONLY YOUR PRIMARY JOB GETS EXPERIENCE.. so you need to switch your MAIN job to BLM to level it for a while to make it worthwhile. The fun part of all this is that by the time you are level 18, you forgot how hard it was to be a level 1 character. So, you have to go back to level 1 and start levelling your subjob. You can keep your original main as your sub, so while you're levelling your BLM, you'll be, for example: 1blm/1whm, and when you get to lvl4 blm, you'll be 4blm/2whm. Since your whm is level 18, your whm level will go up to be half of your main job whenever you go up 2 levels. (6/3, 8/4, 10/5, etc.) What most people do is level their new main job to about 10-12 and then switch back to what they were originally. I chose red mage as my support job, and I spent a week or two levelling my red mage up to 12 before switching back to monk, and I was level 21 when I completed the subjob quest, so when I switched back to monk/rdm I was 21mnk/10rdm. That way, I didn't need to worry about my RDM until I was level 26. Upon reaching level 26, I would have to switch back to rdm to level him up to 13 to get a benefit out of it.

Whew.

I saw characters that were like 50/25... Some people have a LOT of time on their hands :)

The one major thing that sucked about the subjob system, (and a lot of beta testers did complain about this) was that the main job could not use the subjob's weapons. That sucks. It would be cool to have a bow-wielding monk or an axe-wielding white mage. Basically all the subjob does for you is give you the sub's spells and job abilities. So my 21mnk/10rdm could cast level 10 healing and attack spells but I was still a super-fast fighting character with insane evasion. Not a bad combo. most people choose white mage as their sub because healing takes a really long time and by the time people get to level 18 they are so sick of healing that they want to be able to case Cure and Cure II..

Norge, I am as big a FF fan as you sound like you are, and I will say this:

I was very disappointed by the game. It does not "feel" like final fantasy.

Now, with that said, I will say that it was a lot of fun. But there are long stretches of boring levelling up, a lot of frustrations when trying to assemble parties for certain quests (certain quests like "go kill the big dragon" almost REQUIRE a party - you would be a fool to do it alone) and assembling a party can be an hours-long process since a) you have to find people that are doing the same thing as you and are approximately (within 2) the same level as you, and b) people in an online game just come and go like nothing. So you've spent 45 minutes looking for people and you need 2 more, and the first two get bored waiting for you to assemble the party and they leave, so now you need 4 more again. It sucks.

The quests are pretty unimaginative too. Almost every single quest (and there are hundreds) involve "Bring me this thing".. you bring the thing, and you get some money. That's about it. There are variations on the theme, but you get the idea...

After playing the beta for so long, everyone's been talking about the end of the beta (everyone in the beta). The beta ends in 4 days, and people are freaking out. It's kinda fun. The other day I decided that I was done for good and stood in the town square of a very busy town and started shouting "I'm going crazy! Selling everything!" etc. and sold my equipment for pennies. I had weapons worth 15,000 and armor worth 30,000 that I sold for 10. people were flipping out. "WHY ARE YOU SELLING THAT SO CHEAP?" ...well duh, the beta's ending... Our characters are getting deleted in 7 days, and I'm just done....

My overall impression:

Fun, but they're trying to bank on the franchise name instead of actually making the game super-interesting. It's beautiful, smooth, and polished, but frustratingly slow-paced and boring at times.

One last gripe: The world is HUGE.. It's so huge that it's detrimental to fun. Until you are LEVEL 20 you have to walk everywhere. That sucks bad. Especially since some quests involve "Go to this town and bring this thing back" and it can EASILY take an hour to get to the next town and an hour to get back, all for a measly award. It gets a little better at level 20 when you get to ride chocobos, as they run about twice as fast as you can walk, but it still takes forever to do certain things. "Oh, I'm going to Jeuno.. see you in an hour." High level mages can "warp" to certain points, and very high level characters can fly airships between cities, but that's about it. The world is simply too big for the speed of travel.

In the end, I will say that I am not going to be buying the game. If it was $50 I would buy it in a heartbeat. It's pretty fun. But since it's $50 + $12.95 a month, it's just not worth the money to me. It's not $13 a month fun. I would pay $5 a month to play it, but $13 is exhorbitantly high for this game - it's just not good enough to justify it.
  • JLunarJLunar the t dot.
    edited October 2003
    prime, I wish I had been able to play with ya. Only my character is a measly lvel 12 RDM.

I got to play a L40 RDM the other day and that was fun. More details on monday, as I'm still under some press NDA. But there was stuff involving a main sequence event and the xpac that is bundled with the N.American release.

I don't know if I'd pay $13/month to play this either. It's fun, but the question is, is it *that* fun.

They should just sell the game for $50 and give like... 3-4 mos free. at least all you're paying for at that point is the time on it, I guess.
    edited October 2003
    The weird thing about this game is that it can be "beaten" -- meaning you can kill the "end boss" just like in other final fantasy games.

They are banking on the job and craft systems to keep it interesting.

The way I look at it, you could beat this game in 3-4 months if you played a lot. After you beat the shadowlord, all you can do is keep levelling all the jobs and improving your craft skills.. Some people might enjoy that, but not me.

It takes DAYS to level your craft skills. You can theoretically play this game for months and months with a level 1-2 character by doing crafting instead of "adventuring"... I can't see that appealing to a Western mentality though - I'm sure there are Japanese players who really enjoy that stuff. Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself:

Crafting is the idea that you can practice some craft skill, like Blacksmithing, Weaving, Fishing, Cooking, etc. You can practice over and over again to make things (armor, food, weapons, etc) and sell them so that you can buy more raw materials, practice more, and make better things. Eventually you can make some amazingly powerful items, but it would take LITERALLY months of totally TOTALLY monotonous crafting (there's no "skill" involved, you just click on items to combine them, rinse, and repeat.. over and over and over again)... Sorry, but that's totally unexciting for $13 a month.

So the point is, the game will rapidly tire after a few months. It's not worth the money to me.
    edited October 2003
    That is a major downer that the combat is not turn based. The main selling point for me would have been that. I guess I'm just going to have to keep waiting until someone finally makes a multiplayer turn based game. The combat you decribed sounds ways too Everquestish to me.

The job system does sound like it kicks major ass. Sounds like you could spend all sorts of time strategizing how you were going to level your character. Of course if leveling is pretty slow that would get boring really fast.

It really does suck that you can use your subjobs weapons. It would be so kick ass to walk around as a mage with a huge ass sword. That has always been one of my gaming pet peeves. Mages always get crappy armor like a wussy ass looking robe. Then all they get is a staff. I mean how can you act like a bad ass in a bathroom robe with a stick?

Mage: "Oh look at me! I have a stick! ph34r m3!"

Warrior: "Yeah... but you still look like a chump and you hit points suck ass."

Mage: "Yeah well at least my bunny slippers match my robe!"

I mean really would it be that hard to give mages some cool looking armor? Just because you know magic doesn't mean you have to be a total weakling. If they have a problem with it just say that the mage is using some spell to help them wear the heavy armor. Even if it doesn't protect you much at least it would look cooler than a stinking robe. *huff... weeze* Ok that's enough ranting on that subject.

Yeah I am a pretty big FF fan. I've only played FFVII (beat it), FFX (almost done), FFVIII (stopped half way cause I go IX), and IX (played a little but didn't have time to finish) but it is by far my favorite series. Ask anyone who has talked to me about gaming and they'll tell you that I'll rant and rave about how FFVII is the best game ever. It stinks that it doesn't feel like other FF games. I can see how that could happen seeing as how they got rid of turn based combat. That's like a must for a FF game.

Boring quest are also a big turn off. I've played quite a few MMORPGs and you can get bored really quickly. Good quest are a must if you want to keep your players entertained and interested.

From how you describe finding parties and the leveling treadmill I can tell I wouldn't like it. I absolutely hated Everquest and while Dark Age of Camelot was better I quit because of how hard it was to find a good party. Sitting around for a few hours trying to find a party isn't exactly my idea of a good time. Especially considering I usually can't find more than 2 or 3 hour time frames to play.

Heh heh. Gotta love messing with people's heads before the beta ends. Wish I woulda thought of something that cruel and unusual for some of the betas I was in.

Huge worlds can be a pain in the neck. I mean they are awesome if there is a good transportation system but if there is crappy transportation like you said then it is more of a burden than a blessing.

I've never been a big fan of crafting either. I fail to see the fasination with sitting in front of some sort of crafting device for hours just hitting buttons. If I wanted to sit around for hours doing a mind numbing repetitive task I'd go on in to work at FedEx and get paid for it.

I'm glad you let me know so much about the game. It sounds like it could be fun but I think I'm in the same boat as you. Even though it sounds fun I don't think I want to spend $13 a month to play it. Too bad they can't just make it free.

Norge
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited October 2003
    If it ain't anything like Final Fantasy Tactics (one of the greatest PSX games ever) than I'm not interested. I could play Tactics for months on end customizing and modding my characters and I didn't get tired of it. Add a multiplayer element and some upgraded graphics and they could have had a grand slam with that one.
    edited October 2003
    I've never tried Tactics out though I've heard a lot of people with good things to say about it. Have you tried the GBA verison of tactics? I hear it is pretty good too and you can play it in short burst if you want. Might be one worth looking into.

Norge
    edited October 2003
    Well I don't have a GBA but if it's anything like the PSX version was than it can't help but be awesome.
  • edited October 2003
    HeHe...just thought I'd add my two gil. I played the beta with Prime and I agree with his points. I look at the cost at lil differently though. I always gauge a game on how much its worth for a month of fun or interesting play at the current rate of $50. This game is definitely worth $50 considering the first month is free. After the first month you can decide if it's worth it to pay to continue. This game is a real time-waster like most mmorpg's so your RL may suffer - several of my friends had to quit because of college or the wife and kids.
    As Prime said, the game relies heavily on pt's after lvl 15 or so. After playing for about 3 months for free (as Prime stated this beta was basically retail I only had 1 small update in that 3 months) the only reason I'm playing the retail is because some of my RL friends and some good peeps from the beta will have our own clan. It's real important early on to get to know some white and black mages - they become rare later on and are the most important members of a succesful pt. Beleive me if you start your pt with a wm and a bm you'll have no problem finding tanks and support members!
    Look me up in the retail if you happen to get on my server - I will help anyway I can!

Xarigon (Black Mage/White Mage)
    edited October 2003
    Xarigon and Prime -- good times, good times ;) Thanks for joining the forums, dude!

He's right though, befriend white mages very early on. After level 16-17 or so, white mages become very highly in demand and very arrogant. They can command money for joining parties and so..... a "friend" can help a lot.
  • edited October 2003
    Yeah I forgot about that! I tipped this wm for being so damn good in our pt (1000gil) and he bacame a friend for the rest of my days in beta. You remember Errol don't you Prime? It's also a good idea to tip wm's you don't know for raising you as well if you don't they probably won't do it again.
    edited October 2003
    Yeah I don't think I'll get the game until they give a 7 day trial or something. That way I can see if I like it before spending any money on it. Making friends early on sounds like a good deal. I think I'd tella white mage to go take a flying leap if they demanded gil for services. I just don't deal with that arrogant bull crap. I wouldn't mind giving a tip to a friendly mage who helped me out though. It would be well worth the friendship.

Norge
  • edited October 2003
    Well it didn't really happen like a demand usually the wm would just say "so and so pt is offering me 1000gil to join them so I guess I'll just go with them". I only tipped wm's because they were awesum or they raised me. Most of the time its really hard to find a wm so some parties offer gil so if you want them and you don't know them you may have to pay - it wasn't that common though.
    edited October 2003
    Sounds too much like Diablo II for my liking........

"ILL GIVE 2 SOJs TO PEOPELEEL WHO RUHS ME THROUGH HELL!"

Not good.

NS
    edited October 2003
    lol! I gave Errol 1000gil during that same trip.. That was with you, me, Errol, Zieo, and Raistlan.

Oh, those were the days
    edited October 2003
    20031010l.gif
    :cool2:

NS
  • edited October 2003
    LOL! How bout a 3 foot Taru named Minime - YUK!
    edited October 2003
    Some people had some crazy ass names in the beta.

"Yunaleska"

"Titiamarielle"

"Hotsaleschick"

lol
  • edited October 2003
    Yeah come to think of it when I'd tell people Errol was joining the party they would say "wtf - ERROL?" but man he knew how to play a wm! The worst name I saw was Snakefart - that just screams stupidity - I cringe everytime I see him! My biggest fear is someone I invited to the clan will log on with a name like 'Iownjoo' or 'Papadick' - shudder! I'll take Jim or Bill over that anyday!

BTW - Prime, did you finally get the info? :)
    edited October 2003
    Yup, I got it... :)

A couple other choice names from the beta:

"SeventhBackbone"
    "DisgustedWombat"

There was a guy who signed up with the name: "E4tmysh1t" but the GMs canned him right away.
  • JLunarJLunar the t dot.
    edited October 2003
    hehehe.. I've seen the Errol guy and Hotsaleschick around in Bastok. If you see a Kyata, that's me. the really low level RDM.

I was going to be RDM with a subclass of WHM.... but since I didn't get too far... subclass never became an issue.

But if you guys are going to play retail when it comes out, I'll be there at any rate. As long as I have people to play with, I'm perfectly willing to play WHM/BLM 'cause I'm usually healer/support anyhoo.

anyone going to the "last night" party on the 14th?
    edited October 2003
    LOL. Snakefart. Man if they had friendly fire on I think I'd have to kill the person just for having a stupid name. Gotta love Planetside for that reason :-) Someone on your team is acting like a moron? Just waste em.

Norge
    edited October 2003
    So the game is $50 plus the monthly rates (1st month free)? too much...should have been 35-40 plus your monthly service charge, first month being free too. At least that's how Earth and Beyond was, and I enjoyed that one from beta until just a couple of months ago.
  • edited October 2003
    I'm curious what they are coming up with for the event in all the main cities. The anouncement says we will all be able to fight some huge monsters weve never seen so if its still going on after I work - I'll have to check it out. Maybe Prime can join us one more time (naked of course since ya sold all your stuff - lol)
    edited October 2003
    Not only naked, I uninstalled the game! ;D

Bastok represent!
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited December 2003
    So let me get this straight. You HAVE to play this online? You can't just play by yourself... If so, I say punt... No phoenix down for this game...
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited December 2003
    Yes, it is pay to play. However, it's $7.00 for one character. The downer to this all is that you need a WorldPass (worst Idea evar, right there with universal ammo in DX:IW) to play on the server all your friends are on. This makes it REALLY tough to get a LAN party going. I know, because some friends and I tried it. You have to delete/remake until you are selected for the server. Really stupid. Extra characters are $0.54.

Personally, I'm playing Horizons. I find it more entertaining than FFXI.