Rosewill PSU Quality

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I'm looking at these two for a system with a 3700 san diego and an x1900 xt.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182013
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182010

The first one says "value" but it seems to be reviewed fairly well. I also read somewhere that Rosewills are actually Enermax's rebranded.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I have never looked at rosewill badly, I was just looking at buying a new PSU myself, one with neater cables, and one of theirs is on my list. I haven't owned one though, but I've been pretty much with the same PSU for nearly 5 years now. TTGI has served me well ;)
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2006
    I had some rosewill ram and it wasnt too bad. Never had any problems with it, but i havent heard anything about their PSU's. If its alot cheaper than the "major" brands then go for it.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Everything under the Rosewill name is rebranded from other manufacturers. I don't know who makes what for sure but it generally seems OK. Isn't the Rosewill name newegg's own line?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I
    sn't the Rosewill name newegg's own line?
    Although I have no facts to back me up, I'd think Newegg would not pick such a name. That sounds more Chinese/Taiwanese to me. They love names that contain the words "flower", "star', and "dragon." I mean, that would be like Sears picking the name "lily" for their tools. They could still be top quality, but for an American, it just doesn't inspire confidence.
  • edited May 2006
    How much of a difference does dual rail make? Would i be better off with this one...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182010

or this one?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182028
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited May 2006
    I've had the 550w Rosewill PSU in my GF's opteron SLI system for almost 2 months with no problems yet.
  • edited May 2006
    I think i'm sold on the Rosewill RP550S-2MB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182028

Dual 12v rail psu's are a bit safer and more stable, right?
    edited May 2006
    Caxus wrote:
    Dual 12v rail psu's are a bit safer and more stable, right?
    Yes and no. You must be sure to balance your loads or the inbalance will cause instability in the PSU (all brands and makes). You need to balance the 12V devices among the leads then be sure to keep a balance between the 5V and 12V rails. Omega did a write up on it and I am on a short lunch right now. sorry.
  • edited May 2006
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182027

This is for a 3700 san diego and an x1900 xt.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    //edit: I merged the threads, since I'm assuming it's the system in this thread?

I'd recommend, for the system you've detailed here, that you should go with something that's 500W+ with a single 12V rail that has 25A or better. The PSU you listed would be more suited to an SLI system.
  • edited May 2006
    After doing a bit of research, i've come to the conclusion that the whole dual 12v rail thing is basically a reaction to somewhat useless regulations that are being dropped and that the only thing they really do is increase the potential for problems. With that in mind i think i'm going to just bite the bullet and get this for peace of mind and a bit of future proofing.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103437
  • edited May 2006
    Yeah, I would trust that with my expensive equipment a lot more than the Rosewill. Enermax has been a round a while and make fairly decent power supplies and the price isn't bad either.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    That rosewill looked EXACTLY like my ocz modstread., I mean exactly
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    DFI directly recommends the OCZ Modstream 520. It can't be a bad PSU if the industry's leading performance vendor is relying on it. :)
    edited May 2006
    hmm, I've heard that the modstreams arent as beefy as the powerstreams. I though a modular psu would be kickass, but I think I prefer a regular psu and custom cable job. I want to just get a nice beefy single rail psu next. Either an ocz, of if I can afford it, a PCP&C
    edited May 2006
    OCZ has redone some of the Modstreams with a higher 12V rail.
  • edited May 2006
    I decided to go with this Enermax.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103437
    36A on a single 12v rail.
    edited May 2006
    You do know that it is not actually putting that amperage down on the rails. That is most likely a fairly bloated number, per my calculations, 28a on the main rails should give you 568watts, much closer to what it says it is.

If you did the math of the rated specs, it comes out to around 730 watts, please, if they were going to lie about the specs, they could at least make the math add up.
  • edited May 2006
    You do know that it is not actually putting that amperage down on the rails. That is most likely a fairly bloated number, per my calculations, 28a on the main rails should give you 568watts, much closer to what it says it is.

If you did the math of the rated specs, it comes out to around 730 watts, please, if they were going to lie about the specs, they could at least make the math add up.
    You know, you're right. I wonder why a reputable company like enermax would do that unless there was something else behind it that we don't understand. Perhaps it has the potential to put that much juice down each of those rails on their own but the total can't exceed 550w? I don't know.
    edited May 2006
    I have no idea, Im not in the industry. And really, no matter how reputable a company is, they still want to sell their product, so if every other company is doing it, they will be outsold unless they lie a little bit, but no matter, 28amps is still a hell of a lot.
  • edited May 2006
    Caxus wrote:
    You know, you're right. I wonder why a reputable company like enermax would do that unless there was something else behind it that we don't understand. Perhaps it has the potential to put that much juice down each of those rails on their own but the total can't exceed 550w? I don't know.

You've stumbled upon the correct answer. Each rail has the capacity to deliver a maximum of X amps but the total wattage the PSU can deliver will be lower than the sum of the max on those rails. Bear in mind though that some "manufacturers" over rate their PSUs. Hardly any of the power supplies that are available are made by the people selling them. Seasonic makes their own PSUs and they sell to others like Silverstone. Same goes for SevenTeam, Channelwell, Topower, Enhance and FSP.

A good illustration of this point is the SevenTeam ST-500EAZ external PSU. MGE rebrands this particular PSU as the XG Magnum EX 600W. I personally find this practice a bit disheartening.
    edited May 2006
    So its kind of like the whole car audio amplifier thing, on "max power" and "rms power"
  • edited May 2006
    Not really, on a PC the load is dynamic, you can have the loads on the rails move from one extreme to another depending on what's getting hit although on modern PCs the heaviest load will be on the 12V rail.
  • edited May 2006
    So it actually is pretty nice having a 36A 12v rail then since that seems to be where most power hungry components are starting to pull their juice from.
    edited May 2006
    Caxus wrote:
    So it actually is pretty nice having a 36A 12v rail then since that seems to be where most power hungry components are starting to pull their juice from.
    Yes, because the newer systems which need more 12V for the CPU and the new powerhog vid cards need every bit of it.
    edited May 2006
    yeh, I guess you really cant compare the powersuplies really, because amps are making ac power, and pc supplies are making dc power.