9.4 or 4.7 GB DVD RAM , music storage

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I am using a LG GSA-4082B writer on a windows XP

1) in terms of reliability of storing data flawlessly, does it make any difference if I store it on a 4.7 GB or 9.4 Gb RAM ( price is not an issue )

2) Is it correct to say that DVD RAM is the best media to store music ; even better than those special disks(CDR) meant to store music

3) I have so far burnt 50 DVD RAMs on my writer ; is there any way I can tell if there is wear and tear , or what should I do to maintain the writing quality

4) what is the problem of oveburning a DVD R /RW , ( i think the max is 4.6 GB on a nero ? )

Comments

• edited May 2006
    can I confirm my understanding that instead of buying a 2.5 inch/ ? inch Hard disk (200Gb) ; is better to own 45 DVD RAM disks (45* 4 .5Gb = 200Gb) ;

1) As compared to DVD RAM, Hard disk are more prone to loss of data/errors should you drop the hard disk ; carry the hard disks in temperature of 45 degree celsius etc

2) by owning DVD RAM , we are spreading that data loss risk by spreading that towards many DVD RAM s( 4.7 GB ) instead of concentrating all the 200 Gb data in one Box .
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Why not just have an external hard drive to use as backup? That would be very simple and would be so much easier than DVD storage. But then, if all you wish to back up is 4.7 or 9.4GB in quantity, then I can understand using a DVD.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I see faithfoo's point. With DVD-RAM discs, the probability that he'll lose all his data decreases with each disc he burns. IE, with one disc, he has 100% chance that he'll lose all his data if a disc goes bad. But if you burn two discs? Ten discs? 100? The percentage becomes very small.

While this is a cumbersome archival process at best, it's hard to deny the benefits of spreading your data along so many individual links. A fence doesn't fall over when you remove one little diamond.
  • edited May 2006
    THrax is correct .. more over... As compared to DVD RAM, Hard disk are more prone to loss of data/errors should you accidentally drop the hard disk .....where as it's hard to crack a DVD RAM .. !! ( moreover .. i cannot be accidentally dropping my 45 DVD RAMs at one go !!)
  • edited May 2006
    i am formatting my 40 Gb 2.5 inch hard disk
    1) only option avalable is to format by NTFS

2) what allocation unit size should I choose
    a) 512, 1024 . 2048 , 4096 or the default allocation size

3) enable compression should not be used ? ( will it affect writing quality etc )

4) quick format should not be used . I want less errors in future
    edited May 2006
    1. NTFS is best. It's more stable and error-resistant than most other file systems.
    2. Default allocation size is just fine for nearly everything, including data storage.
    3. Data compression should not be used; it's volatile and can usher in rapid data loss when it goes sour.
    4. Indeed, don't do quick format.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Good answers all, particularly this point:
    Thrax wrote:
    ...3. Data compression should not be used; it's volatile and can usher in rapid data loss when it goes sour...

The odds of having a problem increase dramatically the more factors you add to the equation. Data compression is one more hurdle to leap when the day comes where you need to restore your files.

Personally, I like a multi-layered backup procedure. :)
    edited May 2006
    Shameless plug. ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    True enough. I feel no shame whatsoever. :vimp:
  • edited May 2006
    what do you think . I get a following recommendation

. About NTFS, what program are you using? Don't use Windows' buiklt-in formatter or some HD manufacturer's partitioning software to do the format. I strongly suggest using FAT32 for combatibility reasons, although you will lose 8Gb (or, if you want, you can partition your drive into two and lose nothing). First partition your drive either to 32GB for the main partition and leave the rest unpartitioned, or split the partition such that none is larger than 32GB. Then to format, in Windows XP, launch a command prompt (Start->Run-type in CMD). At the commandline, type in:

FORMAT D: /FS:FAT32

Assuming D: is your 40Gb drive.

Alternatively, disconnect your current hard disk, connect your 40Gb as bootdrive, start a Windows installation partitioning and formatting FAT32, then abort after the format and reconnect your original hard disk. I recommend NOT using NTFS for compatibility and performance reasons, unless you are sure you need to store music files that are larger than 2Gb.

2. As far as allocation size, you probably won't get an option for FAT32 but if you do or use NTFS, generally use the largest cluster size, 4096.
  • edited May 2006
    QUESTION
    I used to have 40 Gb in this 2.5 inch hard disk but now I have deleted them .
    besides formatting the hard disk by NTFS

1) SHOULD I STILL defragment disk ( and not analyse ) , UNDER PROPERTIES
    a) how ofen should I do defragment
    2) is there a need to do error check ( UNDER PROPERTIES ) for
    a) AUTOMATICALLY FIX FILE SYSTEM ERRORS
    b) SCAN & ATTEMPT RECOVERY OF BAD SECTORS
    c) how often should I do an error check
    3) partitioning helps in a way to prevent one bad sector from corrupting the other
    a) how do I partition the 40 Gb into 4 partitions ?
  • edited May 2006
    0) I confirm that after I first partition in 3 partitions; then I reformat by NTFS; then I defragment, then I error check ?

1) Some say that if I format by NTFS ; there is no need to de fragment ; If I still defrag ment once a month; I think it’s not harmful to the hard disk

2) what hard disks is considered new ; which is a better brand ?