Conroe

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Anybody know of a current motherboard that will support these chips when they launch? I had planned to build an AM2 machine but have been quite disappointed with the 'new' offerings.

I've read they should be shipping early August but I don't want to wait till then to upgrade. Current machine is a 754 A64 3000+ and an AGP 6800GT.

Want me a dual core setup with a X1900XT!

Seen the Pentium D 930 for a shockingly reasonable price which is why I'm wondering.

I seem to remember reading there is at least one chipset that will support them with a BIOS update.

Comments

• edited May 2006
    Looks like the i975x chipset. I have next to no knowledge of Intel machines. Only owned AMD processors so far.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I want to know if it has all the trusted computing crap in it before I buy it, other wise, Im buying the opteron 170 ive had my eye on, I dont care if the intel proc is twice as fast.
  • edited May 2006
    Dunno, I'd rather have a faster computer. I'm not really the paranoid type.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I'm not paranoid, this stuff is actually happening, and its going to happen.
  • edited May 2006
    There are only a few listed so far that I know of. One is a new revision of the Intel 875 "Badaxe" and I think that Foxcon and MSI have a board each that aren't released yet. But all the present 875 boards beside the newest rev Intel that are presently on the market don't support Conroe from what I've gathered. So it's best to wait for the official release of Conroe before shopping for a mobo.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2006
    I'm waiting until conroe is out and there are benchmarks between them and the AM2's before I buy anything. I just want to see my options both compared side by side. Just like ps3 and xbox 360, im waiting until ps3 comes out to see how it actually is.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2006
    Sorry, this is my 1,000th post so I just had to do this!

:cheers: :headbange :headbange
  • edited May 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    Sorry, this is my 1,000th post so I just had to do this!

:cheers: :headbange :headbange

Too bad I don't have any power in this forum or you'd still be stuck at 999 posts. ;):D Or reset to 0 again.:p :hair:
  • edited May 2006
    Thanks muddocktor, guess the upgrade is postponed.

I’d seen something over the weekend saying there were other small changes required for the new chips to work.

Crap…
    I'm not paranoid, this stuff is actually happening, and its going to happen.
    hehe
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I'm waiting until conroe is out and there are benchmarks between them and the AM2's before I buy anything.
    Smart! Also, if Conroe and AM2 are close in performance, then there will be downward pressure on prices for both AMD and Intel. Again, the consumer will win if it's a horse race.