Laptop froze in car overnight...

edited May 2006 in Hardware
That's right people. Left in car on a night when it was below freezing. It was my friend's wife that did it. I now have the laptop (Dell Inspiron 5100). What the hell is wrong with it? It won't boot. It did once then I got the BSOD. Now I hit the power button and it makes a sound like it's gonna start, but then a little high pitched ding (mechanical, though...not through the speakers) and shuts off. Any Ideas? Here's the info from the Blue screen of death:

*** STOP: 0x000000BE (0xBF9292c0, 0x109D7021, 0xF84D2898, 0x0000000C

*** Win32k.sys - Address BF9AF14C base at BF800000, Date Stamp 43446a58

p.s.

I'm not sure if they tried to boot up when they brought it in (condensation and what not)

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    First off welcome to Short-Media.com...

ekkk. Froze Laptop = not so good. If it is under warrenty send it to dell for them to fix :)

With a froze Compy many issues can arise. Hard drive failure, condensation, Screen issues. and I am sure there are others.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    You know how condensation forms on a cold can of soda on a hot day? The same thing basically just happened to the inside of your laptop.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    The freezing itself should not have caused problems. It sounds to me like someone tried to start before it had thawed or dried.
  • edited May 2006
    that may have been the case... but it starts up every once in a while and gives me the "your system had a serious error...would you like to start up in safe mode normally, etc blah blah.... then it goes to the BSOD. with the aforementioned errors... Can anyone narrow it down to motherboard, hard drive, or software issues...everything else seems to be fine.

The Laptop is not under warranty
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Maybe the HDD, it's the most vulnerable peice of computers. IMHO. I say it's the HDD based on it occuring randomly, and will probably progressively get worse. It's near impossible to say though, if it were a desktop you could try switching out components and see which one(s) are causing the issue.

If it's out of warrantee, you could try taking it apart, carefully, and cleaning it up a bit.Making sure no residual water is still in the system. I repeat... carefully.