Trying out Folding, what to expect?

panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
edited October 2003 in Folding@Home
My new machine is up and running now, I've got my Barton 2500 running at 2300MHz (210x11) on my NF7-S. F@H has given me a 500 unit WU to start out with, so what sort of progress can I expect from it?

Provided of course, my system is stable at this speed...

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Done in 6-10 hours, depending upon the points it's worth, I'd suspect.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    That's about right. Assuming you're using console with -forceasm and -advmethods.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited October 2003
    Ok well I'm starting F@H via the start menu using those tags, I don't know what using the "console" would refer to. It starts up on its own when the machine boots up as well.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited October 2003
    Thrax is referring to the "console" version (the one that runs in a DOS prompt). There is also a GUI version, which is what I'm suspecting you're using.
    edited October 2003
    The switches worked for me on the beta 3.25 GUI version too.
    edited October 2003
    Alright switched over to the console version, easy enough. I'm assuming the Extra 3DNow Boost OK would mean it's doing what it's supposed to.

EDIT: I'd prefer the GUI though since I don't want a taskbar slot being taken up by the console program.
    edited October 2003
    Go to the "betas" link from the download page, download the 3.25 beta console... rename it (in the same directory) to what the 3.24 console was named, then you should see "Extra SSE boost OK" for a big speed increase.

Thanks for folding with us, panzer.
    edited October 2003
    EDIT: Nevermind I got it doing as it should

Will this work with the beta GUI version as well?
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited October 2003
    Yes it will work w/ the GUI as well, just make sure it's 3.25 beta.

Also, if you don't want to the console to show in the taskbar try FireDaemon.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Herr Panzer, thank you for joining the team!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Shh...don't tell anyone panzer, but I use the graphical for the same reason ;) That, and it's better for pimping it to would-be folders.

Thanks for joining! :D
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Welcome and thanks for joining Panzerkw. :wave::fold:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    Welcome to the team. We are glad to have you.:)
  • edited October 2003
    If you want to run the console version and don't want it saying resident on the taskbar but don't want to go through the trouble of setting up firedaemon, then use this app I'm attaching called TrayIt. It will iconize the console and put it in the system tray when you minimize the console. It is what I use on all my rigs.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Muddocktor,
    From another Cay-Jun man, I wanted to express my A-PRE-ciaTION for your help with my folding si-MU-la-TION COM-PU-ta-TION. MIN-i-miza-TION is very nice. Now, I shall commence my Saturday Night IN-E-bria-TION.
    edited October 2003
    quick question, are usernames cas sensitive? Does the system discriminate between Panzerkw and panzerkw? Thanks.
  • edited October 2003
    Yes, it is most definitely case sensitive. If you start 1 rig with "Panzerkw" and another 1 with "panzerkw", it will register that as 2 separate usernames.:)

Preacher, you are most welcome. Just don't get popped for driving while INtoxiCATION.:crazy:
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    panzerkw said
    I'd prefer the GUI though since I don't want a taskbar slot being taken up by the console program.

If you don't want to see the Console version in the taskbar, you can use Electron Microscope and choose to Hide F@H on Start, so you only see it load, then it dissapears.
    You can also then hide EM, by running it in Stealth Mode, so it doesn't show in Sys Tray.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    I knew there was a program that did this. I am going to add it to the everything about FAH thread now.
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    Btw, it won't stay stealthed for me. It pops back up after a couple seconds, so you may want to try it out first.
    :confused: