Need help choosing a laptop.

Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
edited June 2006 in Hardware
I am getting a laptop for college and I want something that will game decently. My main computer is is only running a Geforce4 MX420 so I am not that big of a graphics person, but would the ATI 200M Integrated be better than my computer?

Also, I don't know what processor to get. I normally prefer AMD, but looking at the L2 cache between the Pentium M and the Turion, the M looks better. The only Turion I can get for the price of the M is the Turion 64 ML-32, and that only has 512kb L2 cache. Which one is better?

Any suggestions would be nice.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    First of all, how much are you looking to spend.... what kind of things; besides gaming at low graphical settings; are you going to be doing?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2006
    In laptops I would highly suggest intel over amd. Currently the best reasonable CPU's for laptops are the intel cor duo series. I'd go for the t2500 and say 1-2 gigs of ram. Those would be standards for me, and then I'd just look around for computers that have that. Since your in college you will want this to last all 4+ years so try to get something with some power behind it. Check out dell's inspiron E1505 and E1705 noteboods. The E1505 has a 15.4" screen and the E1707 has a 17" screen. Other than that they are pretty much the same, but the 17" costs more. You can customize the parts to pretty much what you want. My friend got one and its really nice.

I bet theres going to be some people on here who are going to say dell sucks but ignore them. Just because they wont admit that they overpayed for their vaio, they think spending $2000 is normal for a laptop with a 5400 rpm 60 gig hard drive,512 mb's of ram,and a core solo processor. Basically unless you have money dont get a vaio. Essentiall, they are macs that are designed for windows. They look pretty, are very expensive, and have alright preformance. I'm not trying to give a big middle finger to sony, but theyre notebooks are expensive. If I had the money I would consider buying one.*end rant*

Toshiba, and HP also make nice notebooks, so go to bestbuy or some other electronics store and just check them out.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    You may also look at sager nootebooks and power notebooks. Depending on what you want to spend.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Avoid Gateway. There's a reason they are less expensive. Wish I had positive advice for you...wait, maybe I do. I've used many brands of notebooks, but I've never had to research any because I've just take what was given me at work. The best I've used, when considering reliability, performance, and ergonomics were Dell. Keep in mind, that comment was based on my experience only. I've never had to shop for a laptop.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    For what it's worth, [H]ard|OCP hates dell, and <3s HP laptops.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    HP is one brand I've never tried. The last Dells I used were nearly two years ago.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I have the PowerPro 2:21 from powernotebooks.com, I must say it is the nicest laptop I have ever used, and it is definitly the best being how it's my first LOL.

I love this thing! It's not too expencive at $1800(for all the stuff I added on), super nice and just plain beautiful LCD... and at 17" it's just the best screen I have ever seen... period.

Plays pretty much any game, not maxed out or anything, but fairly well.

Decent battery life of about 3 hours generally, 2 hours at LEAST even if playing games the whole time, but it's a DTR, not a full blown notebook.

To top it off, at 17" it's not much of a burden, sure it is wide, gotta put a 17" screen somewhere, but it's not heavy, neigther is it thick like many Sagers and other DTR's. In fact I usually carry it around with one hand grasping it, it's about as thick as a couple CD trays.

Oh it's never crashed on me either... :)
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115223
    --Same one I posted in the other thread.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2006
    I really like HP's and Dells, especially the new dells. theyre sexy
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    theyre sexy
    I'm seeing a pattern here...
  • edited May 2006
    We just bought a HP DV5120 for $949. mom opened a circuit city CC and got the reward points which is the tax we will pay. Comes with a Canon all in 1 printer, router, and some other internet software I didnt want to get. Printer and router are free after rebate. Looks nice and its got good stuff, was a turion. I asked what would the Turion rank and he said with centrino.

The guy was saying you should really let us install all the internet securities, anti-viruses, etc etc etc, I was like ok...stfu. my PC is clean as ever and i only use norton 2004 pro antivirus. nothing else. Scan my PC occasionally, like once a month with like 3 programs and im all clean. the cost to put it on was like $350.
    hahah, he said we do the updates on highspeed internet, and i was like whats that got to do with protection.
  • sim2340sim2340 Bisley,Woking,Surrey
    edited June 2006
    I have a Advent Computer and it runs like a heating Unit!
    seem to overheat easily likley to be the same the same with the laptops if they do them.

:rarr:
  • Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
    edited June 2006
    Sorry I haven't responded guys, I've just been so busy. I was really on a budget, like around 700, but I got a little more money than I expected, so I was looking at this one with a 100GB HD upgrade and a Gig of ram upgrade.

Ibuypower S550-Turbo [2]

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=170

What do you guys think? It seems cheap to me and my friend bought the lesser one with the 9700 mobile card and it runs games well. I was going to stick with the Athlon 64 3000+ though b/c I think it's a decent Proc for the price.