AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Dual Core Overclocking HELP!!!

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Hello.

I have a compaq persario SR1879UK http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/35123-35527-187917-187917-187917-12357186-73392931.html with a AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Dual Core at 2.2ghz and i am wanting to overclock it to 2.4/2.6ghz. but what i need to know is will i need and extra cooling? As it only has the fans that it came with when i bought it. And if i can overclock it without any more fans how do i overclock it? :tongue: because i am new to overclocking

Regards,
Richard (pcdude)

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Fisrt off welcome to Short-Media.com...

With AMD's stock fans you should be able to push it 200Mhz to 400MHz. I wouldn't recommend going higher than that. Just watch your temps and make sure they don't peak 58C.

Also a nice upgraded fan costs around $25 to $45 new and cheaper if you buy used...

Also if you want to know anything about OC'ing Your AMD chip make sure to read this massive guide...

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=300

If you can't find what you need their you don't need to know it...

To note I am running a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with a stock fan at 2.63Ghz from a stock speen of 1.8Ghz. temps run about 58C - 59C...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    PDDude. Does your computer's BIOS even have settings that can be changed to overclock? I would be very surprised if you can change any voltage or HTT settings in the BIOS.

We need to know what your computer hardware knowledge level is before we get started. Please forgive me if we ask questions that may seem condescending.

Do you know what the motherboard's BIOS is?
    Do you know how to change settings in the BIOS?
    Can you tell us the names of the main screens within the BIOS?
  • edited June 2006
    Do you know what the motherboard's BIOS is?
    Do you know how to change settings in the BIOS?
    Can you tell us the names of the main screens within the BIOS?

Hey. fist no am not sure if my computer does let me change and cpu settings but i will find out next time i boot up.:tongue:

Do you know what the motherboard's BIOS is? - Yes
    Do you know how to change settings in the BIOS? - Yes
    Can you tell us the names of the main screens within the BIOS? - From what i have seen if i can remember there is main, advanced, power, exit and i think there is one more i cant remember.

Regards,
    Richard
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I will be very surprised if your BIOS has any options at all to allow you to change settings for the CPU, memory, or voltage. It is rare when a name brand, off-the-shelf computer can be overclocked. They just aren't made for it.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Nor do they want you to.