OCing my Pentium D 805

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys, I'm new here.

I'm 21 years old and just, FINALLY, BUILT MY OWN PC FOR THE FIRST TIME!!

I've always used Dells, and 7 months ago bought an alienware (which I'm happy with except for the cost of course). I was inspired to finally challenge myself and build my own computer when I read the article about said processor on Tomshardware.com and it's overclocking capabilities.
I bought a pretty well ventilated case, front intake, back exhaust, top exhaust and an extra fan next to the PSU for exhaust.

I'm using the Zalman 9500 of course, and I've reached a clock rate of 3.5 GHZ up from 2.66. My temps with two instances of Prime95 running, maxing out both my cores is 70-71C. These temps are actually LOWER than the ones listed for my clockrate on tomshardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/page25.html) , so I think i'm doing ok.

I've read through some threads here and it seems that most would say these temps are too high, so I wanted to get your guys opinion on it. What kind of temps are safe for regular use? This machine is going to be used mostly for gaming.. I know almost all games and programs won't utilize 100% of both cores like prime95 can so my temps will be about 5-10 degrees lower.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    With the overclock, your temperatures will remain high, but should drop off some. You may see a 5-10*C drop just like you thought. Don't be surprised if it only drops 5. Nice overclock, especially since it's your first computer build. Well done. If you ran the machine stabily at those CPU core temps, then it's probably nothing to worry about. It seems though, that it should run just a little cooler.

Tell us about your case, it's ventilation, and fans. Please also tell us about the CPU heatsink mounting, what thermal paste you used, and how you applied it. There should be some simple steps we can find to lower the temperatures.
  • edited June 2006
    Case : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133154

It has 4 fans, 3 exhaust (One venting through the back near the CPU, one through the back next to the PSU, one through the top in front of the PSU)

And an intake in the lower front which is where my HDD sits.

I used Artic Silver 5. Mounting the Zalman was a real pain using this case.. I had to remove the motherboard from the case for a third time just so I could screw it in. The bar seperating the upper part of the case where the PSU is wouldn't allow me to use my screw driver to tighten it down properly. It is possible I used slightly more thermal paste than normal, I couldn't seem to get it to spread out evenly (small gaps were able to be seen on the CPU where it didn't look like the paste applied correctly as I spread it, so I added a little bit more.) It was a thin coat, but probably not as thin as it should be.

I'd reapply the stuff but I hate the thought of having to take out my mobo again just to remove the heatsink.... maybe they make a really short screwdriver somewhere so I can do it while leaving the mobo in the case.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I'd reapply the stuff but I hate the thought of having to take out my mobo again just to remove the heatsink.... maybe they make a really short screwdriver somewhere so I can do it while leaving the mobo in the case.
    Believe me, I know what you're talking about. Given your case configuration - good case design for ventilation, the CPU core temp should be lower. It would appear the process of elimination has already been taken care. It seems as though the lack of heat dissipation is due to the thermal interface problem. Yes, you may be correct, that the paste coverage is too thick. It may also be that the heatsink is canted on the CPU, without full contact.