Im going to to build a computer

King-without-a-crownKing-without-a-crown Glendale, Arizona
edited June 2006 in Hardware
I am looking for information on the best components to get for the best price!

I want to build a computer that I can be downloading at high speeds.
I need a fast computer mine is way to slow, It makes me mad a lot of the time how slow my computer is, :banghead: , I know part of it is that I have Dial up but I will have to upgrade soon.

If any one has good insite on what components to buy and where for a good price so I can build a computer that is really fast that would be great!

Thanks for any information! :thumbsup:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    What is your budget?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    You want a computer that downloads faster? I am sure your PC is fast enough for high speed internet.... just ditch the dialup and go for DSL/Cable/FIOS

A budget would be nice too, as well as if you plan on gaming alot or what it's primry use will be.

Newegg.com is a place to buy computer parts with all around good pricing and such.
  • King-without-a-crownKing-without-a-crown Glendale, Arizona
    edited June 2006
    My budjet is up to about 600 to 700 dollars for just the PC, I dont need anything else. And Im sure MY downloading would be faster if I went to DSL or Cable, but right now my downloading rate is on average of 4kbps when Im not doing anything else. I think that that sounds a little slow, even for Dial-Up.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    It has lots to do with the phone wires and such... if the phone lines suck in your area, then yeah you'll get bad rates, plus where the CO is located compaired to your computer. 56K modem's and DSL are NOTHING to computers even 10 to 15 years old. I don't care if you have a 66MHz Windows 3.1 system.

For example, if you are uber lucky and get DSL with a full 8Mbps, that equals to writing a downloaded file to your HDD at 1MBps... Maybe you have some spyware and such. Not trying to keep you from getting a new system, but just some FYI.

Alsof or $600 you should be able to get a decent PC... the site I mentioned before is nice. You could get parts cheaper eslewhere, but they are all around good prices and plus it's one location instead of ten lol.

You might even be able to get a decent laptop from ebay for 600 to 700 smacks.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Building a new PC for faster Internet access will make almost no difference. If you want a new computer anyway, and understand that your Internet speeds will not change without switching to broadband access, then yes, we can help you. Besides Internet access, how will you use the computer, and at what intensity? (E.g. harcore gaming, casual office applications, burning CDs/DVDs, occasional video encoding/decoding.) How long do think you will want to keep it?
    edited June 2006
    I pretty much understand the fact that I would have to upgrade my internet to get better speeds. I was looking at building myself a new computer anyway.

The thing is Im not 100% sure which are the best components for the best price, I need some insite on that kinda stuff.

What I want is a computer that I can download tons of music and music videos and maybe a few hard core games to keep me entertained. Right now I have been doing a lot of converting of music and music videos.

Also If anyone has any info on a good internet sevice that would be great, whats the fastest one out there?

Thanks for your help!:rockon:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    The new computer isnt gonna get you a fast downloads.

You dont seem to be a power user, so I would just sugest that we build you a nice Sempron system, or a run of the mill A64 system. I think either will give you a nice system that you will be impressed with.

Internet? Look at DSL, Cable, or if you live in an area that verizon services, you might be able to get FiOS.
    edited June 2006
    Ok then, What is the best Somprom motherboard to get without spending too much money?

And what is the best Processor and CPU to go with it?

If I have a good amount of RAM and memory it will speed up my computer right?
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited June 2006
    I wouldn't go with a sempron, I was going to when I was first building this PC. Luckily Mt Goat takled me out of it and I ended up with a nice A64 system.

I think a PC around these specs will do you just fine.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537
    Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130491
    Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130020
    Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220006
    Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145088

We're at $443.96 right now. I'll let someone else pick you out a nice case and power supply and your CD/DVD drives.
    edited June 2006
    yeh, that system wont be too power heavy so you can get away with a good 350watts powersupply.

And you say that you have ram, but is it DDR400 Ram? You are coming from an older platform and the memory is not the same.

Hey, and actually, since he is not a power user, what do you think about getting him a minipc? Those are pretty neat, and have plenty of grunt. even seen some that game pretty damn well. let me price one up so you can see.

Okay, I have you a computer for $632+Shipping, I went with an asus barebones, but, if you dont want a small computer and could care less about how big it is, then we can dump it, and find a mobo, case, and psu to replace it.

That total comes to $630.45

I went ahead and put a opteron in there, just because it has a 1mb cache, it really isnt nesesary and we can go back to the athalon 3200 if we need to. It just depends on how much performance you really want. One thing im not to sure about is the barebones and that processor, not sure if it will like the opty.

And if we dump the barebones and go the traditional route, we will have to probably dump the opty anyway. Which wouldnt be a bad thing anyway, that 3200 will do really good for you.(I should be an AMD sales rep)

Nightwolfs setup will work really well. All you need is a case, psu, and optical drives.

That comes to $178.48. Not a bad case, if you dont like the look of bare silver aluminum, you can switch to a different case if you'd like. If you like the style, they make the same case in black also I believe.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    These guys came up with some nice options for a reasonable price. What are the specs of your current system including operating system? What do you do with or want it to do other than internet (please list in order of priority)?
  • digitaltreedigitaltree Suffern, NY
    edited June 2006
    I saw some pretty good systems listed above, but thought I'd go ahead and put in my two cents. I've been playing around with making a cheap and small computer just to play with and this is what I've come up with:

Case $85.99
    Mobo $78.99
    CPU $170.99
    RAM $75.99
    Graphics Card $77.00
    Hard Drive $89.99
    DVD Burner $33.99
    FDD $19.99 (antiquated but useful item, with a card reader)

Total: $632.93 + shipping

This system should take care of most needs, to include a variety of games. Anybody have any comments? I'd be glad to hear them. :cheers:
    edited June 2006
    I saw some pretty good systems listed above, but thought I'd go ahead and put in my two cents. I've been playing around with making a cheap and small computer just to play with and this is what I've come up with:

Case $85.99
    Mobo $78.99
    CPU $170.99
    RAM $75.99
    Graphics Card $77.00
    Hard Drive $89.99
    DVD Burner $33.99
    FDD $19.99 (antiquated but useful item, with a card reader)

Total: $632.93 + shipping

This system should take care of most needs, to include a variety of games. Anybody have any comments? I'd be glad to hear them. :cheers:

Looks decent, except I would dump the floppy, get a dual channel kit of ram, get a little better board if possible, and look at a nicer case.

Up until the case your only looking at only an extra $40 or so. The better case could be $10-$?? more.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited June 2006
    I still use my floppy, it comes in handy all the time. And whats wrong with that mobo, I don't believe this guys going to be doing much OCing and its more stable than the ASUS mobo in that barebones. I also wouldn't skimp on the memory and since its a 939 system i'd go dual chanell. You guys put too much into the case...this guys not trying to win any beauty pagents. I'm using a $20 case i bought on newegg and it suits me just fine.
    edited June 2006
    I never use my floppy anymore, ever since they came out with the nifty little flash drive I have never needed a floppy disk. . . Although my dad still uses floppy disk, but I think he is not using them as much anymore.

And the case being $100 is not necessary, but I do want to impress all my friends and show them up with a glowing beautiful computer PC! By the ways I have seen some pretty awsome cases for about $50! That is if your at the right store at the right time, and if you know how to find a good deal! I would like a flashy system!

Im thinking I might need more power than a Mini PC, I tend to pump my computer pretty good! I like to take it to the limits by running 50 tasks at a time!

My computeer that I am using right now is a Compaq, it was refubished at Costco, My dad recently got a new computer and decided that I could have this one!
    The Specs. Im not 100% sure on but Ill give it a shot so here it goes
    - 55-60GB Hard Drive
    - Intel(R)
    - Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.4GHz
    - 2.39GHz, 512 MB of Ram

Thats pretty much what it says in my system propoerties. I sort of put them in order of priority.

P.S. Does anyone have any good advice on the best internet sevice to get? (with speed in mind!):scratch:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Right now you wil certainly want to wait a few weeks for new [ricing to get into full swing. Both AMD and Intel have just started a price war and this will save you serious cash. If you do lots of things at once yoy may want to try to increase your budget a bit so you can reap the benefits of a "Dual Core" CPU. These are CPU's with 2 physical cores that are just like having 2 CPU's but better. You will actually need a floppy for installing some drivers during the installation of the operating system but a used one from a thrift shop will work or just borrow the one from your old rig. I have Roadrunner and it works for me as far as a highspeed connection. Do you game? What programs do you use the most?
    edited June 2006
    Yeh, the war has begun, everyone sit back and relax. It's gonna be awesome!!

Anyway, back to the topic, the reason that case was so much was because it is a minipc, we can go full size no prob. and it will end up being cheaping the end.
    edited June 2006
    When I build my new computer I will be gaming, Not all the time though, Only in my free time . . . But when I do game I like high quality picture and sound, I can settle for moderate sound though. But its really great to have the benefits of enjoying great games! Like Medal of Honor and other games alike (Command and Conqure) I like the war games!

I think I will spend a little more money and get a dual core, but if there is going to be a price war between the two, I think that would be great!:aol:
    edited June 2006
    Oh yah my hard drive is pretty much full!

I have about 13GB left on it