lost 1000 files copying over from hard disk to DVD RAM

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
Solution available? : No (see Next steps)
What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart
Cause : Unknown device driver
Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

I got this message while cutting and paste files from my Hard disk to the DVD writer , caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly.and restart after a “ BLUE SCREEN “ ; according to Microsoft … this is a "stop error."

1) I LOST ALL THE 1000 FILES that I was copying over ..(Not in hard disk , and not in DVD RAM )
a) any chance of recovering that ?

b) I still have some files on DVD Ram from the previous batch of files cut and paste over from the hard disc

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    how many files were you copying, sounds like maybe too many, I would take it easy with windows. It isnt the most stable os I've used. and the files are on the hard disk, the reference to them in the file system have just been lost. You need to get an undelete program, or some data recovery software. BUT, inorder to preserve as much as possible, do not add/delete or move, or definately do not defrag until you recover the files, because each time you move a file or something, you risk overwriting more data.
  • edited June 2006
    it's certainly not in the hard disk nor in the DVD RAM

I am still using other segments of the Hard disk and moving those over to another DVD RAM

1) i do not have any software installed to recover teh files

Please advice >.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    it's certainly not in the hard disk nor in the DVD RAM
    YES, they are still on the hard drive. You just can't see them. Data ALWAYS remains on the hard drive, until that physical portion of the hard drive is overwritten by newer files or by a disk cleaning program that writes 1010101 over it. Your computer has simply removed the little electronic tags that are the visual symbols for the magnetic data on the drive.

Do not add, cut, or paste anything else on your hard drive. The is a shareware program called, I believe, restoredatanow or something like that. I am optimistic you can recover your data. Do a search here at the forums for "data recovery." You should be able to find several threads where members here have done exactly what you want to do - recover data.

BTW, whenever I transfer data to removable media or other hard drives, I always copy first. Before I cut anything important, I ensure it is intact on the destination location.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    GetDataBack is the name of the program you need to try.

Do not write anything further to the hard drive. It is imperative you do not do this or you will damage files.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited June 2006
    If you were only coping files, they should still remain on the hard disk.
    Lets make sure that the disk cables are properly seated first.
    Some SATA cables has an tendency to become lose.
    That if it is an SATA HDD you are using.

So if you can give us the hard disk specification you were coping from, it would be nice.
    What software do you use to format your DVD-RAM, Windows XP or 2000 ?

I take it that you had 1000 files less then 4.3 GB, which are temporarily lost, hopefully.

Edit,
    Microsoft is mentioning virus ?

Error Message: STOP 0x00000001e KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED in Win32k.sys

"STOP 0x0000001E KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" Error Message from Aspi32.sys